Xeon E5 1660v3 Overclocking

Thought I'd post this for anyone interested, replaced my 6 core 5930k with an eight core xeon 1660v3. Processor is unlocked and overclocks well, can do 4.6ghz @ 1.36v & 4.5ghz @ 1.28v. 32gb @ 3200mhz case 14.

Basically a 5960x, these xeons are coming down to the $150 range on eBay. 1650v3(6 core), 1660v3, & 1680v3 are all unlocked and make great upgrades on the x99 platform. Hopefully this will allow me to stay on x99 for a few more years!

Is that Gen of Intel similar in IPC to first gen ryzen?

Clock for Clock I believe they're about the same with a slight edge toward the Haswell chips. However from what I've seen overclocked they perform closer to gen 2 Ryzen in gaming. Even though they're older, slower chips, the relatively high clocks (when OC'ed) along with quad channel memory & a large cache help make up the difference.

Clock for Clock I believe they're about the same with a slight edge toward the Haswell chips. However from what I've seen overclocked they perform closer to gen 2 Ryzen in gaming. Even though they're older, slower chips, the relatively high clocks (when OC'ed) along with quad channel memory & a large cache help make up the difference.
Either way they make a nice option for staying on the x99 platform without doing a full upgrade.

I have added these and the 10 core version to my Ebay list. Another 12 months and they should be a decent price in the UK.

I finally bit the bullet and ordered a 1660v3 for my main system. Found it for $148 shipped.

I've had an x99 board and 32GB DDR4-3200 waiting to up[grade my main system for quite a while. Already had a 1650v2 I pulled out of a retired machine but never had the real want to do the swap from my x79 board to the x99 board.

Hopefully I can get 4.6Ghz or higher on the CPU I ordered.

Well.. that didn't last long. The place I ordered it from canceled my order claiming "out of stock"...

Hmmm.

Edit... screw it. Found a seller on eBay that has 1680 v2 CPUs for $150 right now so I went ahead and got that.

Most likely higher overclock than a v3 CPU and I can just swap out my 4930k and not have to redo anything else.

Probably go with an AMD setup next time I do an actual upgrade.

Last edited:
Back