Xeon E5-1650v4 Locked Multiplier

Bromeister

Limp Gawd
Purchased an E5-1650v4 from superbiiz model BX80660E51650V4. The multiplier is locked on my asus x99-e ws. I assume this will extend to the rest of the E5-1600v4 range. I don't know if this is common knowledge. I just assumed since v1-3 were unlocked v4 would be. Oh well.

Nope. only v1-3 were unlocked. Welcome to Intels play ground.

Big troubel is AMD been non competive 1k prices

Yeah that was a bummer figuring that out. Really can't be bothered to eek out a bclk OC either. On the plus side it runs at 50C at 100% load min fan speed all day. Guess im going for a silent build lol.

They perform the same. If I had to guess it's marketing wording towards the types that buy k i7s. Both cpus use the same turbo technology and are the same chip. The Xeon may run cooler as it may be binned higher than the i7. I've never seen mine over 50c at 100% usage with an h115i min fan speed

Turbo boost 3.0 basically identifies the best core out of the 6 and runs demanding single threaded processors on that core. When 1-2 cores are under full load turbo boost will use a multiplier of 40 on those cores giving you 4.0GHz. When 3+ cores are under full load they will use a multiplier of 38 giving you 3.8GHz. I'm pretty sure that's how it works but I may be completely wrong. They will perform the same though.

Is it better to buy a 1650 v4 over a v3? Also, what is the best place to buy a v4 processor. Superbiiz?

I purchased my v4 at superbiiz. I would just look up the model on pcpartpicker and go with the cheapest as they list reputable sites. If you have any inclination to OC the v3 is a far better chip. If you don't then v4 is prolly the way to go. I7 6850k will probably be marginally faster than a v3 due to generational IPC gains as oubadah stated. If I could pick any of the three (v3, v4, i7) I would choose a v3 due to OC and ECC support. If you dont need ECC go with the i7. If you don't need OC go with the v4. If you need both go with the v3.

Hmm. You got the v4 I assume? Is turbo enabled in your bios? Mine was by default. I know prime95 can do some funky things, did you try running Intel burn in test? When not running prime do you ever see boosts up to 3.9?

Yeah after reading it almost certainly seems that this is the case. I was unaware of this limitation as avx isn't a large part of my usage. It appears until this generation AVX offset was limited to sever chips so your 4790k wouldn't have underclocked. If AVX is a large part of your use case you could try to edit the setting in bios though it may be locked. It appears the setting is not locked on i7 broadwell cpus. I'm unable to verify as I'm not at home atm but I have the x99e ws so the setup should be very similar.

Probably fair. That said the only reason it seems to be there is to hit TDP quotas. If your temps are good after flipping the switch then you're good.

Hmm mine does 3.9 and change at max load. Do you get the full clock if you manually set the multipliers?

Unfortunately I'm running linux so there is no AIDA64 client available to me. I have a windows 10 VM I could run it in and I'll give it a try in the morning but I don't think the results will be valid for comparison.

Purchased an E5-1650v4 from superbiiz model BX80660E51650V4. The multiplier is locked on my asus x99-e ws. I assume this will extend to the rest of the E5-1600v4 range. I don't know if this is common knowledge. I just assumed since v1-3 were unlocked v4 would be. Oh well.

I have the v3 and I am only able to get about 4.2ghz out of it. Not exactly earth shattering.

Yes, when more than two cores are using turbo the multiplier is 38 across the board. When only cores one or two are are using turbo you get 40 on those two (they are your higher binned cores IIRC). At least that's how I understood it. Designed that way so it can stay below the designated TDP with either single or many threaded process. Also my "3.9 and change" numbers are because I mildly overclocked the bclk which I completely forgot about... My multipliers are exactly the same in bios. I think your chip is working just fine!

Back