• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Xeon E3 or i7 for folding?

Mr.Pernod

Lurker and [H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2015
Joined
Jun 5, 2006
Messages
182
I am in the process of building a small Server 2008 with Hyper-V role system for myself.
As a matter of habbit the system will be participating in some distributed computing in its spare time (F@H).
All parts except the CPU have been picked.
I have a shortlist of CPU's that are within budget and supported by the motherboard (ASUS P8B WS), they're all non-K versions as I would like to keep future ESXi/VT-d options open.
I was wondering which one would be the more effecient one for F@H and what kind of PPD (on SMP) I could expect from them running Windows.

- Xeon E3-1235, sandy bridge, 3.2GHz, 4C/8T, TDP 95w, 239 Euro
- Xeon E3-1245, sandy bridge, 3.3GHz, 4C/8T, TDP 95w, 262 Euro
- Core i7 2600, sandy bridge, 3.4GHz, 4C/8T, TDP 95w, 278 Euro
- Core i7 3770, ivy bridge, 3.4GHz, 4C/8T, TDP 77w, 290 Euro

Can you help me pick one?

[EDIT]
sigimage.php

[/EDIT]
 
Last edited:
Since no oc will be used, the highest clock is the best tion, however clock speeds are nearly the same for all your choices, I would go with whatever is the cheapest option in your case
 
Last edited:
Do you need the ***5 versions of those Xeons? The only thing they have over the 1230 and 1240 is the on-die GPU, and extra heat in need of sinkage. Otherwise as Feather said, get the cheapest one.

Asus official CPU support is kinda bunk, note how I am running an E3-1230 in my M4Gene-Z/Gen3, a board that doesn't even "support" Xeons ;)
 
the P8B WS uses the integrated GPU for video output, so it's either a CPU with integrated GPU or a seperate PCIe graphics card.
price difference between the ***0 and ***5 Xeons is around 15 Euro, the cheapest dedicated cards start at double that fot a Geforce 210 or a raden 5450

[EDIT]
forgot to mention there is a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo in the partslist already
[/EDIT]
 
Last edited:
the P8B WS uses the integrated GPU for video output, so it's either a CPU with integrated GPU or a seperate PCIe graphics card.
price difference between the ***0 and ***5 Xeons is around 15 Euro, the cheapest dedicated cards start at double that fot a Geforce 210 or a raden 5450

Fair enough :)

Label on the CPU aside, they're all the same basic chip internally only difference is the stock peak multiplier and the turbo multipliers (and those damn virtualization extensions). Depending on the WU, without using iGPU, you can get 12-30kPPD in smp-8 in Windows7.
 
ordered.
ended up with an ASUS P8B-X (onboard video) and a Xeon E3-1230
this combo shaved another 30 Euro off the cost of the system when compared to the P8B WS and an E3-1235.

I know, I'm cheap :eek:
 
ordered.
ended up with an ASUS P8B-X (onboard video) and a Xeon E3-1230
this combo shaved another 30 Euro off the cost of the system when compared to the P8B WS and an E3-1235.

I know, I'm cheap :eek:

What???!!!!

There are NO cheapskates around here. :D
 
What???!!!!

There are NO cheapskates around here. :D
guess we haven't been properly introduced then...

final system:
reused parts: chieftec bigtower case, coolermaster 700w psu, misc. harddisks
new parts: E3-1230, ASUS P8B-X, Hyper 212 Evo, 16GB ECC ram
total cost for new parts: 551 Euro inclusing tax and shipping
 
guess we haven't been properly introduced then...

final system:
reused parts: chieftec bigtower case, coolermaster 700w psu, misc. harddisks
new parts: E3-1230, ASUS P8B-X, Hyper 212 Evo, 16GB ECC ram
total cost for new parts: 551 Euro inclusing tax and shipping

Inside [H]orde IRC joke ;)
 
Crap, when will this system come online? I'm trying to mow you. LOL
 
Crap, when will this system come online? I'm trying to mow you. LOL
depends, not all parts are in stock, but within the next two weeks :p

[EDIT]
but looking at the current EOC standings it seems you did :)
 
Yep, 3pm update I took the lead. So I got about 2 weeks to increase my ppd by like 20k... Great!
 
Yep, 3pm update I took the lead. So I got about 2 weeks to increase my ppd by like 20k... Great!

make that 3 weeks, they just pushed the expected in-stock date for the cpu to late next week :mad:
ow, and it will be replacing a 5k PPD Q6600, so no rush... ;)
 
make that 3 weeks, they just pushed the expected in-stock date for the cpu to late next week :mad:
ow, and it will be replacing a 5k PPD Q6600, so no rush... ;)

I'm already working on getting another 1090T setup. :D
 
they had all the parts in stock, except a friggin' USB stick so they wouldn't ship... :mad:
cancelled the stick, now let's hope they ship the stuff soon
 
first WU returned, unfortunately it was a 7611, TPF seems to vary wildly on these.
PPD on this particular WU was around 16.5k PPD, which is very similar to my i5-2500K on 4.4GHz.
let's wait and see what some other WUs do.
 
first WU returned, unfortunately it was a 7611, TPF seems to vary wildly on these.
PPD on this particular WU was around 16.5k PPD, which is very similar to my i5-2500K on 4.4GHz.
let's wait and see what some other WUs do.

Sounds about right. 1230 pulls fewer Watts for the same PPD compared to the OC'd desktop part. I usually pull 11-30k PPD depending on the WU in Win7 on my setup at stock.
 
other units are pretty much in line with the overclocked i5.
lowest so far is around 9k PPD for a particularly bad 7611, other wu's are 16-21k PPD
Coretemp is showing the i5 at + 80 watts and the E3 (turbo'd at 3.3GHz) at slightly under 60 watts.
I have seen it turbo to 3.4 under load, but at current room temperature (29C) I am taking it easy as well ;)
 
other units are pretty much in line with the overclocked i5.
lowest so far is around 9k PPD for a particularly bad 7611, other wu's are 16-20k PPD
Coretemp is showing the i5 at + 80 watts and the E3 (turbo'd at 3.3GHz) at slightly under 60 watts.
I have seen it turbo to 3.4 under load, but at current room temperature (29C) I am taking it easy as well ;)

80W for the i5 is only at stock...no way that is the TDP when overclocked. FWIW, on my Gene-Z just hitting the auto button in the RoG utils I could get an extra 3mHz on the BCLK=extra 100mHz haven't tried that when folding though.
 
80W for the i5 is only at stock...no way that is the TDP when overclocked. FWIW, on my Gene-Z just hitting the auto button in the RoG utils I could get an extra 3mHz on the BCLK=extra 100mHz haven't tried that when folding though.
my i5 is running at a lazy 103x43 and both CPU-Z and the ASUS tool are reporting cpu voltage between 1.30v and 1.32v, fluctuating depending on load. (RoG auto tune ftw?)
I should really get my UPS set up again...
 
Back
Top