xeon e3-1240

Michaelius

Supreme [H]ardness
I found this CPU :
http://ark.intel.com/products/52273

It seems to be 2600 non K with 100 Mhz slower speeds and 80W TDP for 250$

but i wonder do they have same limited overclocking as desktop non K cpus ?

edit: nevermind turbo I found it scales from 3,3 to 3,7

Last edited:
few reasons to go for Xeon over consumer intel i5s/i7s

1) ECC
2) supposedly better IGP support

If you are looking for the IGP support you want to make sure that the processor you select has a model # ending with a "5" so in this case it would be the Intel® Xeon® E3-1235/E3-1245. Also with the Xeon E3 processors that support the IGP (Intergraded Graphics on Processor) you are going to need a board using the c206 chipset in order to use the graphics. At this time I believe there are only 2 c206 boards out on the market. They come from Asus and us.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

If you are looking for the IGP support you want to make sure that the processor you select has a model # ending with a "5" so in this case it would be the Intel® Xeon® E3-1235/E3-1245. Also with the Xeon E3 processors that support the IGP (Intergraded Graphics on Processor) you are going to need a board using the c206 chipset in order to use the graphics. At this time I believe there are only 2 c206 boards out on the market. They come from Asus and us.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Thats the most helpful post I have seen on a forum in about 6 months. Thanks for that info. :)

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

MSI Z68MA-ED55 (B3) Seems to work great. Has 16GB of Ram and rips blu rays in 27 minutes from disk in drive to encoded and watching.

Xenons seem to be the best hidden secret that Intel never talks about for the enthusiast market. Why I have no idea. Most enthusiast do not want IGP on there processors but yet there is no choice anymore except to go over to the server processors. I really wish that Intel would categorize these better. When building for a customer they want to see I5/I7 on post not some model number they have never heard of.

XEON! X-E-O-N!

Xenons seem to be the best hidden secret that Intel never talks about for the enthusiast market. Why I have no idea.

To charge you more more for a shittier processor and earn more cash of course. i7 doesn't have to meet the tight requirements of Xeon, so they aren't anywhere near as good binning as an equivalent Xeon, unless you're VERY lucky.

Last edited:
Currently running an E3-1230 on a P67 board w/ 16GB of RAM, and I couldn't be happier.

If you don't have plans on overclocking, or using the IGP, the Xeon is the way to go.

Of mention as well is VT-d.

Back