• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Xeon E3-1230 release / build checking...

madcoder

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 30, 2005
Messages
288
I read on another site today that Intel has now released the 1230 as of today. I haven't confirmed it anywhere else yet though.

Anyway, looking to put this together for a new ESXi setup.

Board
http://www.acmemicro.com/ShowProduct.aspx?pid=8799
(not sure if this is really a reworked version of the board, considering this is the only site I have seen that has them)

2 of these ECC kits
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148380

...and a Xeon E3-1230, as soon as I can find a supplier.

Any links to a supplier with the Xeon first available would be appreciated.
 
I'm looking to do the same build with the supermicro board and e3-1230,

let's hope it pops up soon!
 
I believe in just buying what is available when you need it, and not waiting for new product, but in this case it would seem we are just days away from being able to put this build together. I wish they would hurry it up. :D
 
Yes, the Intel® Xeon® E3’s were officially released today. We held off the release of these processors till after the “B3” stock issue has largely being resolved. Some of the Xeon E3’s are already in our Distributors.
 
^Lmoa I love this guy.
Anyways OP what are you going to use it for?

It's for replacement of an older Supermicro PDSME+, running ESXi with about 4 permanently running machines on it. Another 3 or 4 will be booted up whenever needed.
 
It's for replacement of an older Supermicro PDSME+, running ESXi with about 4 permanently running machines on it. Another 3 or 4 will be booted up whenever needed.

You know it run on the 1155 chipsets aswell? Dunno but I notice the 1220L only got a 3mb L3 cache.
 
The E3-1230 is pretty awesome!

Here are some unofficial looks at the board: http://forums.servethehome.com/show...-X9SCM-X9SCL-LGA-1155-Xeon-Motherboard-Series

Well, judging from Odditory's post there, he had trouble with the board from the same place I linked to, so I am not so sure I should order it from there. Also, they didn't return a quote they promised... Hmm.

Anyway, now I have the memory (Kingston) and the CPU on order. Now to just source this motherboard and I'm set.
 
Yeah but compared the 2600K its not an upgrade path for me.

However I will be building a new win2k8r2 server box for a client of mine and this seems like a worthy and VERY cost effective element to look at closely.
 
Me 2! Then it will be an upgrade weekend, and hopefully have the old parts up on Ebay by Monday. :)
 
Has anyone's Xeon E3's shipped from Newegg? I ordered mine yesterday around 2PM and it stills says "Charged", everything esle shipped.
 
Hmm, it has been my experience with NewEgg, that if you order before 11am Pacific time, then it will go out the same day. From 11 to around 2, is questionable, and from 2 or later, it definitely will not go out until the next day.

That being said, I ordered my memory yesterday morning, and it shipped already. My board and CPU were ordered in the afternoon, so I wasn't even expecting it to go out until today.
 
Last edited:
I ordered later in the day so I didn't expect it to have shipped yesterday. However I did notice that on the order, the E3 got separated out saying it would ship from separate facility so if that facility is on the East coast, I'm guessing it wouldn't have shipped yesterday.
 
Posted a Tyan board review today, which is really a next-gen X8SI6-F. Quite a bit of backlog at this point so I am working through stuff.

If anyone has burning questions I bought the E3-1220, E3-1230, E3-1240, E3-1270, and E3-1280 in late Feb/ early March and have been playing with them since. Will have the E3-1240 or E3-1270 numbers up tomorrow and the other Monday/ Tuesday next week. You can also feel free to ask on the STH forums and I have a Xeon E3-1200 Series thread with more information.
 
Last edited:
I just got the tracking information for the motherboard. I'm still waiting on the one for the CPU.
 
Board and Processor are shipped for me now :)



I don't see any at the moment, and these Xeon E3 (LGA 1155) series is UP only I believe

This is correct. In fact the "1" in the E3-1230 for example denotes one CPU.

DP wise we are basically waiting for Romley.
 
Can the E3 Xeons be used on the consumer P67 boards with ECC or non-ECC memory? Also, can the stock multiplier be increased like the desktop "k" processors? At their launch pricepoint the new Xeons are competing directly with their desktop counterparts (or so it appears to me).
 
At this time we haven’t unlocked the Intel® Xeon® E3 processors like we have the Core I7 2600K. There are some things that the Xeon E3 that are not normally offered on server processors. All the Xeon E3’s offer the HD 3000 graphics except the “L” models; they also support ECC memory, TXT and VT-d. In other words they are processors designed for a business environment.
 
Board arrived today :) ,
but Xeon won't arrive until Monday :(

Might open my other system and pop in the i3 2100 if I get impatient over the weekend.
 
All the Xeon E3’s offer the HD 3000 graphics except the “L” models;

This is not true. 0 at the end of a part number denotes no-GPU (e.g. E3-1240) and 5 at the end (e.g. E3-1245) have the integrated GPU. Not all part numbers have a GPU enabled counter part. One example is the Xeon E3-1280.

aubsxc: So far they work in the H67 and P67 boards I have tried. ECC support in those platforms is not a given.
 
Back
Top