Xeon 5650 ES CPU - board compatibility?

heretic

n00b
Sooo... I Bought a Xeon X5650, Ebay style, for a mega good price a while back. Listing did not mention ES at all... Well I got screwed, no returns, yada yada, plus it sat too long before I went to do the upgrade (My fault). Well this chip will not post in my EVGA X58 board, and somewhat worked on a DX58SO board. What I'm looking for is a motherboard that will work correctly with this stupid thing, I initially wanted it for my workstation before I went SR2 with LEGIT Xeons, but now I'm going to make it a secondary work machine as well as a folding whore with my spare GPU's. I'm assuming that a decent single or dual socket server / workstation board would work? If I find an ATX dual socket board I may try to get another one to match it... With this thing being so damn flaky on X58 I don't want to pop any more money for another board unless I have some assurance it can recognize and work with an ES chip. And NO! I am not going to try the SR-2 with it LOL, so don't even suggest that! Plus I'd have to dismantle the whole system to get the existing chips out. Any thoughts?

I am running extra-spicy chips in my SR-2. I have also had good luck with Supermicro boards with extra-spicy chips. The stepping of the chip(s) is an important factor though. Earlier stepings usually cause most boards heartburn.

I could trade you a known working retail i7-970 1366 6-core CPU that will take 4.2ghz overclock for that Xeon. That would fix you up.

IF you do stick with the xeon, it will not work in an asus Z8NA-D6, although the bios should recognise the cpu the board is limited to 95w cpu's. All x56xx ES cpu's are 130w parts.

The Evga site states my board works with X5600 cpus. I have the sinking suspicion this may be an early revision or something.

I am running extra-spicy chips in my SR-2. I have also had good luck with Supermicro boards with extra-spicy chips. The stepping of the chip(s) is an important factor though. Earlier stepings usually cause most boards heartburn.

yea i found this out with skulltrails too, they have to be exact steppings or they will not run
vista, 7 or 8 .

so watch out for matched pairs from the windows xp era, XP didn't care about stepping
so you could just run same chips types, but now with the new OS's they demand exact same steppings. I went around in circles for a while with this problem, so now
i am very cautious.

I have a couple working in a SuperMicro X8DAH, but I just bought a X8DTE and haven't gotten them to work yet. I'll try updating the BIOs when I get my L5520 in the mail and see what happens. Lots of people use SR2's but they won't run enough RAM for me so im stuck going through supermicro boards.

Back