• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Xeon 5500 vs 5600 performance?

cyclone3d

Fully [H]
2FA
Joined
Aug 16, 2004
Messages
18,424
For those with experience with both, what is the real world performance increase of going from a Xeon 5500 to 5600 series processor assuming that both run at the same clock speed and both have the same number of cores?

I looked around and could not find anything in the way of real benchmarks or much of any other information for that matter performance difference wise.
 
I have both the L5520 (2.26ghz quad) and the L5640 (2.26ghz six-core) and I can't tell the difference between the two when using single threaded apps. I've only used them in hypervisors, and in both cases, the amount of memory that each system has (48GB, dual socket boards) was the limiting factor. Fantastic CPU's, man.
 
Same clock and same number of cores -- almost identical performance.

5600 are a bit better overclockers, if you are wanting to do that, obviously also offer 6 cores as well. Thats the main benefit.
 
one has higher multiplier which means it will almost always overclock higher or easier to a certain clock..also I believe the 5600 is 32nm vs 45nm so would use less power and run a bit cooler as well have a lower voltage tolerance. Think there 4 or 6 core versions of each
 
Last edited:
I have both the L5520 (2.26ghz quad) and the L5640 (2.26ghz six-core) and I can't tell the difference between the two when using single threaded apps. I've only used them in hypervisors, and in both cases, the amount of memory that each system has (48GB, dual socket boards) was the limiting factor. Fantastic CPU's, man.

I would be using them in hypervisors as well.

Have a couple Dell R710 with dual E5530s in them and was wondering if going to the 5600 series was worth it unless I jumped to six-core.

48GB in each system as well.

Thanks for the info.
 
I would be using them in hypervisors as well.

Have a couple Dell R710 with dual E5530s in them and was wondering if going to the 5600 series was worth it unless I jumped to six-core.

48GB in each system as well.

Thanks for the info.

It is worth it. IMO.
Even if you were to upgrade to the E56X0 quad core CPUs, you'd still feel a bump in performance
 
Back
Top