Xeon 5160 vs Xeon E5345

Stugots

Supreme [H]ardness
Right now I'm running dual Xeon 5160's (dual core 3ghz). I've been considering upgrading to dual Xeon E5345's, (quad core 2.33ghz). Would it be worth it to run more cores of a slower speed? The cost of the upgrade isn't a factor. And these are the two fastest CPUs I can run on my motherboard. The system is the HP xw6400 in my signature.

Would it be worth it to run more cores of a slower speed?

Depends on your application. However if this is for games you can expect lower performance from the slower clocked CPUs since most games do not use more than the 4 cores you already have.

Server type applications like web servers or virtulization will gain from more slower cores while most desktop applications and most games will benefit from faster cores.

Server type applications like web servers or virtulization will gain from more slower cores while most desktop applications and most games will benefit from faster cores.

Ok. I think I may be better off with the 5160's then. What little VM work I do already runs fine. I think I'll be better off getting more RAM.

Back