xclio 480BL, or something else?

rogue_jedi

Supreme [H]ardness
the 450BL recommended in the stickies appears to have vanished from the retailers... :( i really liked the looks/price of that one too.

am i right in assuming the 480BL is a 450BL, just more robust (higher ratings)?

also, recommendations in this price range (~$70 shipped) would be appreciated. $70 is stretching it a bit for me... i like the fortron i have, but i don't know how well one of those would hold up to a multi-disk array on a dual P3. i have the 350W (single rail) fortron that is apparently no longer there either... it was ~$35. the ax400/ax450 are the other things i'm looking at. the only problem i have with fortrons are: 1) fan froze on the one i have, oiled it and it is working fine again. 2) they don't have a warranty :eek:

i'd prefer something <= $60, but i'm willing to pay (a bit) more if it is worth it.

anyways, thanks in advance.

Woah, the 480BL boasts a 3% load regulation. Very nice, a little surprising too.

tyan dual P3 board - 4 slots sdram, 2 64-bit pci slots, designed for 1U... not positive on the model number. i think is is the s2510/thunder LE.

edit: 2510, not 2518... no ata raid on it.

_Korruption_ said:
Woah, the 480BL boasts a 3% load regulation. Very nice, a little surprising too.

X-clio is an awesome dark horse brand. EOC has reviewed one or two of them and they are recommended hardware.

I got the 450 watt like 2 months ago. They don't have it anymore? =X

apparently not, no. newegg doesn't have it; PSU list link leads to a page with the 500 goodpower and the 480bl. froogle search turns up nothing for 450bl and a few for 480bl. i wish i could get a 450bl, but they appear to be gone now :(

Ominous Gamer said:
X-clio is an awesome dark horse brand. EOC has reviewed one or two of them and they are recommended hardware.

Yeah, they're CWT units. Very nice stuff.

What kinda caught me off-guard was the fact that the 450BL boasts a 5% regulation, where this new 480BL is tighter. Very Antec-TruePower like.

I am looking on that board and it doesn't appear to use the 12v to regulate the processors. So you are going to want to avoid the ATX12v2.0 PSU's

that's kinda what i was thinking... it'd be crossloaded pretty bad i think. lotta 5v draw and almost none on the 12v... well, apart from a few hard drives. guess i'll look for an atx1.x psu instead. probably an old-school fortron or the like.

is the ePower Puma any good? if not, i'll probably get the tagan 380 unless any enermax psu's catch my eye. didn't see any good 5v fortrons on newegg :/

the black knight always triumphs!

I would see if Oklohoma_wolf can point you towards somewhere carrying a suitable Fortron unit thses days.

alrighty... the 12V line (only 15A) bothers me a bit on the FSP400-60PFN. but other than that, it looks great for my setup. i realize it probably wouldn't be an issue, but i would rather not end up with not enough power on the 12v line before too long. the eg365p-ve has 8 less amps on the 5v and 11 more on the 12v... would that one be suitable? this should be the last comparison, cause i'd like to get this thing up again before too long... thanks :)

I really don't think 12v draw will be an issue for you. When you say multidisk arrray...how many are talking about?

What all will be in the system exactly?

lessee... 2 controller cards (ata100 and sata), 4 or 5 hdds to start, dual 933 p3's, gig of sdram, that motherboard. i decided to get the enermax - looking through the spec sheet for the fortron was a bit of a letdown. it drops to 12A on the 12V when you load everything else up as well... :/ i think that could end up being an issue. probably not, but i'm less likely to put more than 30 amps on the 5v than i am 12 on the 12v... we had it running with a higher-end enermax before (eg651p-ve, iirc) with a few more disks. so i think it'll be fine.

plus, enermax's warranty service can't be worse than fortron's - as far as i can tell, fortron doesn't have one. you have to admit, that can be a rather nice incentive - warranty vs. no warranty.

anyways, it should be here in a few days. thanks for the tip about not using an atx 2.0 psu - i hadn't thought about that. i'll let you know how it works out.

Back