XBOX360 to DVI monitor.

ohgod

Gawd
I have a 19 inch Sony LCD monitor (SDM-HS94P) and was wondering if I could use it as a monitor for my 360 using a HDMI to DVI cable.

well the only cable so far weve seen HDMI for 360 is from pelican, and thats not confirmed to be true HDMI

but yes HDMI-DVI adapters are avalible

ohgod said:
I have a 19 inch Sony LCD monitor (SDM-HS94P) and was wondering if I could use it as a monitor for my 360 using a HDMI to DVI cable.
Well they only have a VGA adapter for the Xbox360 not DVI. But your LCD does include a VGA port so you will want to use that.

DVI should produce better picture... I'ed hate to console game on a 19 inch monitor though.

Gnu314 said:
DVI should produce better picture... I'ed hate to console game on a 19 inch monitor though.
Digital displays display digital signals better

same as how analog displays analog signal better(CRT, which is why they are still VGA)

You'll have better luck, and go through less trouble just using the VGA port on the monitor with the official VGA adapter.

The 360 console itself is not going to officially have an HDMI port as stated in interviews.
http://interviews.teamxbox.com/xbox/1190/Xbox-360-Interview-Todd-Holmdahl/p1/

On a 19" monitor, the difference between HDMI/DVI and VGA is going to be negligible at worst, and more than likely totally imperceivable to the eye. Up to a certain resolution the quality difference between DVI and VGA is not going to show. Using a 23" flat panel with an internal 720p resolution, we switched between DVI and VGA playing games on the PC, and could find no difference quality wise.

The conversion with the official VGA pack should be stellar, and on that sony LCD the colors should be vibrant.

Not trying to thread crap, just suggesting the hassle of adapting a non-standard connection that may or may not exist in third party form sounds like too much work vs just buying the VGA pack.

merely a suggestion!

reality, xbox360 doesnt have ANY specific video ports persay, it has one port like xbox1 has with many many many pins, that can breakaway to numerous things, so whos to say theres no DVI setup in those pins?xbox1 could breakout VGA even though never officially supported

its kinda stupid to convert. you are not gonna gain any signal quality by going to hdmi from vga, and you might lose some in the conversion.

dvi/hdmi are only good because you stay digital the entire time.

Im just hoping it looks good on my 2005fpw stretched to fullscreen (but keeping the aspect ratio).

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4056328

Found that link to the HDMI cable, can't find much else at all. Lots of articles about how HDMI support may be added in the future, but thats about it.

Explain to me why it's easier to buy an adapter and a seperate cable to adapt something that isn't officially supported versus just buying the official VGA connector? If it's because you're using the VGA connection for your pc hookup, and the DVI in is just sitting there, than that makes sense. I'm really just curious.

And it's not always as simple as just buying an adapter and having it work. You'll have to make sure the adapter is for the same type of DVI port that is on your monitor, most likely DVI-I. If you do go ahead and do the adaption thing, make sure you get the right one.

Plus there are reports of people using hdmi to dvi cables and getting nothing over them when they start connecting them. So, it will probably end up being a YMMV type of deal.

Keep your receipts.

Back