Xbox360 Resolution Question

noobman

[H]ard|Gawd
OK, so here's the deal.

I've got HL2 and episode 1 for PC, but my gaming PC is old and I'm a cheap bastard.

So now I've got a 360 and I'm planning on getting Orange box for it. The only thing is that I still play my 360 on my old PC monitor (via VGA cables) which is a 19inch CRT at a res of 1280*1024

I hate letterboxing, so I emailed Valve, and they said that at a resolution of 1280*1024, the game would internally render at 1024*768, and the 360's upscaler chip would upscale the image to my set resolution.

So my question to you guys is this:
Should I trust that the 360 upscaler won't create any visual artifacts and run my system at 1280*1024, or do I avoid it altogether by matching the game engine's rendering resolution of 1024*768?

I figure that the higher res with an upscaler should, in theory, look better... but I've seen some upconverting DVD players in action that look HORRENDUS, and I know watching movies on a computer at a resolution closer to the video's res can make the picture look better,

Most games I've played so far letterbox and render at 1280*720 (Gears of War, F.E.A.R, Fight Night, ect).

Don't forget that Gears didn't letterbox previously. They basically cropped off the sides of the image and fit it in full-screen. My roommate at the time they changed it groaned because he thought he was getting less image on his 19" screen. I pointed out that it was now true 720p resolution so it would be easier to clearly see.

Point being, they might change that in the future.

ha...

who knows....just try it and see which resolution you like when the game arrives! :D

Back