XBOX360 + new 50" LCD + 5.1sound = bye bye PC gaming

Icetron

n00b
Amazing how times and things change. Just a little over a year ago I was so hardcore and dedicated PC gamer I never wanted to back to console gaming again. Sure, I had the PS2, Dreamcast, Gamecube and XBox at one point or another, but I consistantly went back to my PC for more "in depth" gaming and more rich experience.

However, lately the past few months, i've just been "bored" out my mind with PC gaming. Nothing really new. Same old hardware race with ATi, Nvidia, INtel, AMD. Same old FP's genre over and over, same old servers either filled with asshats, cheaters or lag.

Back when I first started building my PC's in 2001, I loved the complexity, the variety and enjoyment I got out of my personally made "PC". No other like it. It was mine. Period. I spent God knows how much money over the past 5 years on modding my cases. I can't even think about how much I wasted swapping cases for no particular reason other then the fact that it had a new feature or design I just "had" to have. Now I look at my stock P180 case and I just don't give a hoot what it looks like anymore, as long as it works. I simply have lost the desire to "bling" a case anymore. What was once a rare and awesome hobby has turned into nothing more then a big copy cat of the ricer import tuner scene, now you can freaking buy cases with plasma balls for the love of God. Whats the point?

Once I lost my modding touch, the reality of costs to keep a PC gaming machine up started to set in. The costs and demand for PC gaming have honestly taken its toll on my wallet, patience and gaming needs. There was a time when I honestly didn't care what it took to afford a new $400 graphics card when I lived under my folks roof. I felt so uber and cool having the newest and the best to show off online. Now im like, "WTF was the point of that? I have no reason to show a fucking E-penis online, its pathetic. My PC has turned more into a very functional tool rather then something I need to constantly upgrade to be with the "Ubezr coolz und Lootz crowd" of pc gaming hardware. Blehhh.....

Now with alot more bills and obligations to fufill even with a new, better paying job, Im having a hard time justifying spending that much on a peice of equipment that simply outdated within less then half year. Honestly, im still fucking paying off my last years charges for my current PC just because I was still in the"OMG its time to upgrade and have the best" 6 month cycle. The result? Im further into debt, fewer games are coming out for PC that I have interest for and companies are not putting the effort, quality and time like they used to. So im spending $2000 plus a year to play just a few $50 games? One time this was deemed acceptable, but now its just seems plain foolish to me.

Not only that, but the atmosphere of PC gaming online has honestly gotten old. I have gotten really sick of the immature brats on all my favorite games including BF series, CS:S, MMORPG's. Hell, even the gaming boards are full of illiterate, rude and ego filled dipsticks. I'm sorry, but I've guess i've grown up and have better things to do with my time then defend my pride in a online flame war.

I got a 360 last month for my birthday as i've been eying it for awhile. I started off with just a few games, Burnout, Halo 2, and recently Chromehounds. I went ahead and got a 13 month live subscription card as well. I thought, hell, why not? I"ve always wanted to give this Xbox Live thing a try.

Needless to say, I haven't touched my PC in nearly a month sans playing Prey DVD edition. I"ve been having a blast being able to sit on my couch after a long day, grab a beer and snack, boot up my 360, check and see if I have any friends up for a game, load up and boom, im having the time of my life. Live works awesome on my setup. I"ve had almost zero issues with lag and the voice system has made everygame a total blast! I've not had this much fun online since the release of RTCW and BF1942 on my Lans places T1 line back in 2001. The first game of online chromehounds I did a deathmatch with a few people and I had a total blast. We were blowing the shit outa stuff left and right, giving eachother crap on the mike and having a great laugh. Who know something this simple could be so freaking fun? No wonder Microsoft is big into Live. I simply log in, choose my game/demo and off I go!

No slow ass server in game filtering, no hit and missing servers filled with either mature people or total asswads. No more trying to establish a time and place to meet people that I want to play with, I can see instantly if they are on or off, the ability to easiliy send messages and chat requests on the fly as I play the game has been totally freaking awesome. One minute im playing a single player mission, the next I see 2 of my friends login to Live, I send a game or a chat request, we setup our game and server and boom, were off having a lag free, voice chat filled gaming session. Why the hell has PC never gotten this easy and fun?

Hell, even the console games are getting some better treament. I was pretty torqued to find out that Oblivion's PC version had graphical goodies disabled but were fully enabled on the 360 version. WTF is up with that? A $400 console is gonna start outdoing my two grand PC setup? Sounds like its only the beginning of this as well as more and more developers are leaning towards consoles for the mass majority of the market share

Not only that, but splurged some months ago on a surround sound setup and I finally got to enjoy playing games in true 5.1 surround sound other then my hit and miss PC games with either don't support it, or don't sound nearly as good.

I"ve been researching upgrading my stock Sony 32" TV for some time and tonight I decided to see if the console HD revolution was all its cracked up to be. I drove my local Cosco and hooked my 36t0 up to a 50" Sony LCD projector that I was considering buying. Quit simply, my jaw litterally dropped to the floor. My God, playing Dead or Alive 4, Burnout Revenge and Halo on a 50" monitor was simply the coolest and awe inspiring thing i've seen since playing on T1 line!! Everything was so sharp, clean clear and LARGE too! Even getting my 24" Dell LCD a year ago wasn't as big of a improvment as this was!

I was simply amazed at how good my 360 looked on a proper HDTV setup. No freaking wonder PC gaming is slowly depleating and the console market keeps growing!! What I once thumbed my nose and though was just "kids toys" are now being becoming serious pieces of equipment. I've alread ripped about 2 gigs worth of my music to my 360 to play while racing in Burnout online and its awesome. I can download demos, videos on the fly from Live marketplace. Everything is just so easy, simply and accessible it makes doing it the PC way seem ancient and dull.

I shudder everytime I look at my 7+ year pile of PC games i've spent money on. 95% of them I don 't even play anymore or wouldn't even work with modern PC tech. Makes me sick to think I can't get any of that money back. With consoles, I can go to gamestop, get a used game gift card and save money buying used copy of new games and if I get sick of them, I take em in for credit! I've forgotten what thats like since I stop playing my PS2/XBox about 2 years ago.

Don't get me wrong, I have always preferred and will always prefer my FPS's on my PC and strategy games. I will continue to enjoy the specific genres that PC gaming does best. Half Life, Battlefield, Star Wars, Max Payne, ect..ect.. will always continue to be my favorites on PC, and I have alot of good memories of many games i've played on the PC. But im tired from the constant race of PC gaming equipment upgrading and the lack of return for my money. It just no longer has the appeal it once did.

I just placed an order for a new Sony 50" Grand Wega to put into my living room and I cant' wait to get my new HTPC/console setup completed and start enjoying the other end of the spectrum. I"ll always been a PC gamer at heart, but I started with consoles I think im gonna enjoy them now and well into the future for a nice bit of variety for my gaming hobby.

This has been a presentation of IMHO.

Wrong subforum + mod saw it = moved thread

Damn that's a lotta writing. Who said you had to spend $2k every year on PC hardware? I know people with 2-3 yr old PC's that still love to play games. You wanted to get into consoles to save money and now you're buying a 50" big screen? I know you can use it for TV and movies obviously but it sounds like you're buying it for your Xbox. Also in a couple of years are you going to still feel the same towards your Xbox, or is it just a new toy so you're excited? I've done the same, spend a lot of money on a PC then get tired of it and buy a console and then get tired of it, etc. Anyway have fun with your xbox!

Nice Rant...

Having just ordered my first 'omgash wootz' gaming PC, and dumping the requisite 2 grand into it, I believe I come from basically the opposite spectrum as you. Ive played consoles since I can remember, and was very into the PS2's network adapted online gaming. I was a bit of a computer devotee on the side, one time about 5 years ago thinking I was actually getting an awesome gaming PC from Dell (I was a BF1942 addict), but finding rapidly it was the worst money I ever spent, because it was rendered pretty much craptacular within 3 months, and within a year (four days after the warranty) went DOA. During the tenure of this rig, I played alot of console, but still maintained a healthy amount of BF1942/HL1 online gaming every week. About 3 years ago, before college and corresponding with the release of Battlefield Vietnam, I bought a laptop from HP, which has actually treated me wonderfully. When BFV came out, my PS2 started getting forlorn for months at a time, save for occasional ventures into Gran Turismo 3, or GTA3. I had gotten into the mod community for 1942, and ended up running my own for Vietnam (a very very interesting experience, that spanned a good two years). Last summer rolls around, and I start finding the laptop useless for things like BF2, and make a brief foray back into consoles. Over the last year, I've noticed that the console market in my opinion is turning into something I cant take anymore. Granted that Live is fun, Its also populated with screaming 8 year olds. Trying to play old Network adaptor games on the PS2 is hopeless as well, tried getting into some Tribes:AA on with no players found. Single player games are starting to grow more and more similar in my opinion, and where you see a few 50$ PC games comming out worth playing every year, I see a similar thing emerging from consoles. Most of the console games I see these days strike me as hurried, alot of PC ports, and a bunch of random titles I'd never have interest in. All of this combined has led me recently to buy into a pretty hefty gaming rig. I think I'll chance it with the noobs and assholes out there. Perhaps too many fond memories from playing a whole lot of Team Fortress Classic on that old Dell jaded me, but it strikes me I can get so much more of a depth of experience in a PC environment than a console one. That plus I've never had a computer I could really call high end at the time it came, so this I felt was an experience I should have at least once.

Sorry for the long post, wanted to express it from the opposite standpoint ;)

So you got tired of buying $400 video cards only to get sucked into $4,000 TV's? Smart. Reading your little rant I couldn't help but feel like you were slapping almost everyone on this forum in the face with all of your E-penis talk. I enjoy console gaming too but I'm not going to kid myself into thinking it's any cheaper.

If the OP is referring to the e50a10 sony projection lcd tv, then I submit to the OP that he hasn't seen HL2:E1, or Q4, or Civ4, or any other PC game look better than it ever has. HL2DM on the 50" is AMAZING. I'm not poo-poo'ing the OP; congrats on finding a setup that you love. I'll just stick with my PC + Sony 50" a10 + 5.1 surround....

PS: the e50a10 has HDMI AND VGA hookups. ;)

Blown 89 said:
So you got tired of buying $400 video cards only to get sucked into $4,000 TV's? Smart. Reading your little rant I couldn't help but feel like you were slapping almost everyone on this forum in the face with all of your E-penis talk. I enjoy console gaming too but I'm not going to kid myself into thinking it's any cheaper.

Im pretty sure ive seen the new 50" sony for under $2500. That puts it right in line with a decent pc + a good monitor (a $2k box is worthless garbage without a good monitor) and it'll last a heck of a lot longer too.

I shudder everytime I look at my 7+ year pile of PC games i've spent money on. 95% of them I don 't even play anymore or wouldn't even work with modern PC tech.

user error

Makes me sick to think I can't get any of that money back. With consoles, I can go to gamestop, get a used game gift card and save money buying used copy of new games and if I get sick of them, I take em in for credit! I've forgotten what thats like since I stop playing my PS2/XBox about 2 years ago.

never heard of ebay?
you'de get more for console games there over what gamestop would give you. hell, the idea of walking into a gamestop makes my head hurt.

you're certainly entitled to your opinion on console vs pc gaming, but it's senseless.

Spaceman_Spiff said:
Im pretty sure ive seen the new 50" sony for under $2500. That puts it right in line with a decent pc + a good monitor (a $2k box is worthless garbage without a good monitor) and it'll last a heck of a lot longer too.
A decent PC is $2500? Hahaha, damn what are you building and who's fleecing your wallet?

I've poured a ton of money into computers , but i've spent it on dumber stuff. At least with the PC i use it heaps.

I've tried switching to a console because it seemed cheaper. When a new console comes out its great, its usually a bit ahead of pcs in terms of power. However after about a year computer hardware is racing past it, since the console needs to have a ~5 year life span.

So now i just get both, heh. Computer for fps, rpg's, simulations. Console for arcady stuff. Both work great with hdtvs / 5.1

i bought a pc , brand spanking new , 2 and a half years ago for 2000$ , invested 500 last year for upgrade . and my guess it will still be good in 2 years....

we cant count the games in this , console game cost 10$ more anyway... so im giving you a lil head start. we cant even count the internet connection , since new console require it to be able to play it fully...

so 5 years .... 2500 $.. makes 500$ a year ( wich is a lot , but i dont care , i love it)

and you talk about 2000$ a year? is you keyboard in gold and your mice in diamond? seriously , im glad you like your new 360 ... but dont start flaming people who invest in their pc...

Ok normally I try to avoid these discussions, but...

If you're having to upgrade your PC every six months then you're doing something wrong. I just dropped $3k on a machine and I expect to be using it in 4-5 years. Yes, it has that much upgrade room.

Slartibartfast said:
Ok normally I try to avoid these discussions, but...

If you're having to upgrade your PC every six months then you're doing something wrong. I just dropped $3k on a machine and I expect to be using it in 4-5 years. Yes, it has that much upgrade room.

And I hate these arguments all the time over and over again. (not your argument but having to upgrade all the time)

No one has to upgrade your computer all the time!
PC games are tweakable meaning if you want EVERY bit of eyecandy you might need to upgrade. If you simple think about setting your game settings to *PS2, xbox, xbox360* then your computer lasts you just as long.

Also, it's very easy to do PC + 50'LCD too.

I recently just bought an Xbox360 also and love it, but I love my pc too and no way saying "good bye pc gaming" I'm simply saying "Holy cow I have a large libary of gaming"

Icetron said:
So im spending $2000 plus a year to play just a few $50 games? One time this was deemed acceptable, but now its just seems plain foolish to me.
You don't need to spend anywhere near that much every year to play games, as has been mentioned.

Icetron said:
Not only that, but the atmosphere of PC gaming online has honestly gotten old. I have gotten really sick of the immature brats on all my favorite games including BF series, CS:S, MMORPG's.
I suggest putting your 360 up on ebay, immediately. If you think those games are bad for immaturity you haven't seen anything. Xbox Live is probably 10-20x worse, at least.

Icetron said:
Needless to say, I haven't touched my PC in nearly a month sans playing Prey DVD edition. I"ve been having a blast being able to sit on my couch after a long day, grab a beer and snack, boot up my 360, check and see if I have any friends up for a game, load up and boom, im having the time of my life. Live works awesome on my setup. I"ve had almost zero issues with lag and the voice system has made everygame a total blast! I've not had this much fun online since the release of RTCW and BF1942 on my Lans places T1 line back in 2001. The first game of online chromehounds I did a deathmatch with a few people and I had a total blast. We were blowing the shit outa stuff left and right, giving eachother crap on the mike and having a great laugh. Who know something this simple could be so freaking fun? No wonder Microsoft is big into Live. I simply log in, choose my game/demo and off I go!
You must be lucky because every time I (and everyone else) play online I eventually encounter a bunch of little kids being annoying with voices that make me want to strangle myself.

Icetron said:
No slow ass server in game filtering, no hit and missing servers filled with either mature people or total asswads. No more trying to establish a time and place to meet people that I want to play with, I can see instantly if they are on or off, the ability to easiliy send messages and chat requests on the fly as I play the game has been totally freaking awesome. One minute im playing a single player mission, the next I see 2 of my friends login to Live, I send a game or a chat request, we setup our game and server and boom, were off having a lag free, voice chat filled gaming session. Why the hell has PC never gotten this easy and fun?
I hate to break it to you, but for a lot of console games the multiplayer aspect just blows. GRAW, for example, has pathetic multiplayer by PC standards. The server browser updates very slow, only to give you outdated data so the server you try to join might be full or the round may have just started. You can't join a game in the middle of a round and have to wait for the next round to start. You can't easily change servers, if you leave you have to refresh the server list again. If the host leaves everyone gets booted... I can go on and on, but basically the multiplayer component of GRAW is very primitive. Hopefully this will not be the case for future games.

Icetron said:
Hell, even the console games are getting some better treament. I was pretty torqued to find out that Oblivion's PC version had graphical goodies disabled but were fully enabled on the 360 version. WTF is up with that? A $400 console is gonna start outdoing my two grand PC setup? Sounds like its only the beginning of this as well as more and more developers are leaning towards consoles for the mass majority of the market share
Oblivion (and other games that will have a lot of mods) are way better on the PC. The 360 version of Oblivion is gimp as hell. With the PC version you can get tons of mods that can greatly change the gaming experience. With the 360 version you can spend some money to get short quests. The PC version also looks significantly better with all the mods out there.

Icetron said:
I've alread ripped about 2 gigs worth of my music to my 360 to play while racing in Burnout online and its awesome. I can download demos, videos on the fly from Live marketplace. Everything is just so easy, simply and accessible it makes doing it the PC way seem ancient and dull.
Load Winamp, visit filefront.com for 5 minutes... win the game? It's very easy to do the exact same thing with a PC.

Icetron said:
I shudder everytime I look at my 7+ year pile of PC games i've spent money on. 95% of them I don 't even play anymore or wouldn't even work with modern PC tech. Makes me sick to think I can't get any of that money back. With consoles, I can go to gamestop, get a used game gift card and save money buying used copy of new games and if I get sick of them, I take em in for credit! I've forgotten what thats like since I stop playing my PS2/XBox about 2 years ago.
You can often find old PC games very cheap (or even relatively new ones) at places like GoGamer.com. Good luck with the trading games in thing, they don't give you shit. Expect to get something like $1-$5 for trade ins.

Interesting post. Gonna cause a fair bit of argument but I can respect the strong opinion. :)

arr4ws said:
but dont start flaming people who invest in their pc...

Boy thats sad, I simply stated my viewpoint and you call it flamebait.

Im at a loss for words for the lack of maturity on these boards.

Icetron said:
Boy thats sad, I simply stated my viewpoint and you call it flamebait.

Im at a loss for words for the lack of maturity on these boards.

?

Icetron said:
Now im like, "WTF was the point of that? I have no reason to show a fucking E-penis online, its pathetic. My PC has turned more into a very functional tool rather then something I need to constantly upgrade to be with the "Ubezr coolz und Lootz crowd" of pc gaming hardware. Blehhh.....

That's definitely flamebaiting, and I would advise against it for the future.

wheee....

when i get money i'm gonna get a nintendo wii

console games are GREAT and for some people, they fit the bill better than PC ones....

for now tho, I'm still a PC guy..

Some nice posts here. I think there are several universal truths that can be observed in this thread:

1. New stuff is cool
2. Old stuff gets boring
3. Everything changes
4. Nothing is perfect

The OP just went through 2, is currently in 1, will soon observe 4, and after a while will proceed back to 2.

I chain my PC down so it doesn't ass rape my 360 while I'm at work. Nice flame bait title leading into a novel. Lot of words to say the sytem is cheaper. Not everyone cares. It certanly doesnt have the PC killer power everyone was talking about.

Indeed. If you spend that much on your PC a year, then you must be doing something wrong.

I would say to stay at the very top of the food chain a 1000 every 2 years is what you need. And to be able to play games at a decent, good looking pace, maybe 1000 every 3 years.
The fun of X360 will probably wear on you just like modding and PC gaming has.

PC games are fun, consoles are fun. Bottom line.

Wow...that's a huge post.
I've actually got a setup like that. I have a 55" LCD projection, a 5.1 system, and a 360.
With that said, it's still not a complete PC replacement.
A PC is still more versatile and contains quite a few genres that are barely on consoles at all. I personally like to keep both around.
Also, PC's have come down in price again recently. With Intel's Conroe, AMD recently lowered prices to match and you can now build a "best of the best" system for around $2500...SLI included.
Even with a 360, you're not going to match the performance of a 7800GT system with SLI...and you likely won't be able to any time soon with a PS3 either.
Let's also not forget the ability to customize your controls a lot more on a PC. I can re-map every function to as many devices as a I want. I can tweak my resolution 15 different ways, too.
However, there is something to be said about the ease of a console entertainment center. It's pain enough to get many PC games to display a proper widescreen res on a monitor. Let's not even consider the exact resolution for an HDTV, connecting the audio, getting wireless controls, wiring, etc. too. You CAN hook up your PC to your TV, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think it's a colossal pain in the ass to do it right.

He is making it sound like he matured to console gaming. I also like how he spent $2000 a year on computer parts. Totally necissary. No wonder you got tired of PCs. :)

i would never read that much babble.. but im a diehard pc gamer too, i got an xbox, lots of fun, until it got boring, and it now collects dust.. perhaps until something new and interesting comes out.. but IMHO nothing beats the precision and control of a kb/mouse.. NOTHING! So thats why I'll always go back to pc gaming, that and all the other perks like resolution and IQ..

Nicepants42 said:
Some nice posts here. I think there are several universal truths that can be observed in this thread:

1. New stuff is cool
2. Old stuff gets boring
3. Everything changes
4. Nothing is perfect

The OP just went through 2, is currently in 1, will soon observe 4, and after a while will proceed back to 2.

Lol, this just reminded me of the "Four Noble Truths". These seem to be the Four Noble Truths of Gaming/Technology :).

I still play both my PC and my new X360. I find myself playing the 360 more at the moment though, except for Prey on the PC. I have my 360 hooked up to a 5.1 system but dont yet have a HDTV to hook it up to, but hope to change that in the near future. I think its all a matter of preference. I have always seens pluses and minuses to both and thats why I keep both around. Although as for the PC I have jumped on the same boat as the OP about upgrading all the time and all the case crap. I just dont care about it anymore and dont think I will ever again. My PC setup is a good 3-4 years old in terms of the CPU, with a 6800gt vidcard. Plays all the games just fine, albeit with eye candy turned off, but I just want to drop 1-2k to upgrade the whole thing.

That pretty much sounds like my X360 story. I was a hardcore PC gamer until I decided to give the X360 a try. I got in line on Nov 21st for 12 hours so that I could give it a try. I figured that if I didn't like it, I could always sell it on Ebay for at least what I paid for it due to the shortage. However, i've been hooked and havn't gamed on my PC since then. The X360 sits right in front of my PC, so I imagine the PC is probably pretty jealous as it's been used for email and internet duty along with writing occasional papers. As for the person commenting on the power of the X360, this was downright impressive for when it came out last year. How often does a $400 console have the gaming power of a $3000 desktop?

I have to say - I was in the same shoes as the OP in november of 2005...I lined up on launch night and waited in line in 30 degree weather to get an xbox360...and I'm not even a console guy. I was just sold on the product.

I was excited about it at first. VERY excited about it. Kameo was the first title I bought - AWESOME game, the other games at launch sucked. I waited and waited and waited for a second AWESOME game. Fight night round three is an AWESOME game. I played it and very much enjoyed it. The problem was that there still wasn't many good games out there and it was now march-ish or a little past.

Now since fight night round three. not a SINGLE interesting game has come along. Come on MS...it's August. I don't like MS arcade - quit FOCUSING on that. Give us some good games. I'm tired of burnout takedown which wasn't half as good as burnout revenge on the original xbox, and I've beaten and played out in single player FNR3, though it's still fun with friends. and Kameo being an adventure game primarily single player is sort of a 1 or 2x's through game. There is nothing else out there. The demos and stuff if you bought an xbox360 right now would be WOW, but having it since launch i'm going to have to say at this poitn i'm really disappointed and wouldn't really recommend it to anyone until MS can release some quality games. dumbed down games with crappy controls (read ANY fps game) don't cut it. Nor does a RTS game like Lord of the rings that has CRAPPY controls without a mouse and keyboard. Not only that, but lately the 360 games that have been released do NOT impress me with their graphical prowness. Kameo was fantastic, fightnight round three was fantastic. The rest of the games look like original xbox titles in comparsison. I just played the demo for saints row. UTTTTTTER crap. Frame rates are about 10FPS, and graphics are xbox 1.1 not a second gen title.

They really need to step up in the games dept. I'm losing hope. And this is coming from someone who has every desire for the 360 to succeed and has had it since launch day. I've found myself revertting back to PC gaming...Titan quest is a blast I absolutely love it. I can lose myself for 3 hours and not be bored. On xbox360 i feel like i'm forcing mysefl to play cause outside of the two titles I've referenced...the rest is crap.

I absolutely 100% agree with this thread. I have been a pc gamer exclusively since 1992. I recently got a 360, and own a 61" DLP HDTV. I have nearly NO reason to fork over $1200 every two years on pc upgrades just to lock myself in my room and game on my 19" CRT.

Consoles are definately back, and HD gaming is glorious!!!

*high fives OP!*

Teamxbox has a profile about 10 sleeper titles coming up in the future. These are supposed to be games that have a low profile and havn't been hyped to hell. See if any of these float your boat. As for the high profile upcoming titles, i'm pretty sure you've heard of them already. The difference with me, is that I never got bored with my X360 except around spring before Oblivion came out.

http://features.teamxbox.com/xbox/1669/Top-10-NextGen-Sleepers/p1/

Archaea said:
I have to say - I was in the same shoes as the OP in november of 2005...I lined up on launch night and waited in line in 30 degree weather to get an xbox360...and I'm not even a console guy. I was just sold on the product.

I was excited about it at first. VERY excited about it. Kameo was the first title I bought - AWESOME game, the other games at launch sucked. I waited and waited and waited for a second AWESOME game. Fight night round three is an AWESOME game. I played it and very much enjoyed it. The problem was that there still wasn't many good games out there and it was now march-ish or a little past.

Now since fight night round three. not a SINGLE interesting game has come along. Come on MS...it's August. I don't like MS arcade - quit FOCUSING on that. Give us some good games. I'm tired of burnout takedown which wasn't half as good as burnout revenge on the original xbox, and I've beaten and played out in single player FNR3, though it's still fun with friends. and Kameo being an adventure game primarily single player is sort of a 1 or 2x's through game. There is nothing else out there. The demos and stuff if you bought an xbox360 right now would be WOW, but having it since launch i'm going to have to say at this poitn i'm really disappointed and wouldn't really recommend it to anyone until MS can release some quality games. dumbed down games with crappy controls (read ANY fps game) don't cut it. Nor does a RTS game like Lord of the rings that has CRAPPY controls without a mouse and keyboard. Not only that, but lately the 360 games that have been released do NOT impress me with their graphical prowness. Kameo was fantastic, fightnight round three was fantastic. The rest of the games look like original xbox titles in comparsison. I just played the demo for saints row. UTTTTTTER crap. Frame rates are about 10FPS, and graphics are xbox 1.1 not a second gen title.

They really need to step up in the games dept. I'm losing hope. And this is coming from someone who has every desire for the 360 to succeed and has had it since launch day. I've found myself revertting back to PC gaming...Titan quest is a blast I absolutely love it. I can lose myself for 3 hours and not be bored. On xbox360 i feel like i'm forcing mysefl to play cause outside of the two titles I've referenced...the rest is crap.

$1400 Nec P3 450mhz 7/1/99

$200 upgraded to Radeon 8500 and 512mb PC100 6/1/01

$1500 PC parts on 6/7/03:
P4 2.8, Abit IC7-G, 1gb Corsair XMS, 520watt Vantec Stealth PSU, 120GB hdd Radeon 9700, etc.

$800 Upgrade on 6/1/06:
X2 4200+, Asus A8N-SLi Premium, BFG 7900GTOC, 2GB OCZ GXT Gold.

;)

I respect your feelings towards console gaming vs PC gaming but a mandatory $2,000 a year is a little excessive :p.

theNoid said:
I absolutely 100% agree with this thread. I have been a pc gamer exclusively since 1992. I recently got a 360, and own a 61" DLP HDTV. I have nearly NO reason to fork over $1200 every two years on pc upgrades just to lock myself in my room and game on my 19" CRT.

Consoles are definately back, and HD gaming is glorious!!!

*high fives OP!*

If your HDTV has a DVI/HDMI or component input, then you too can enjoy PC games in HD on the big screen. It's just that easy!!!

I agree that PC gaming as sucked lately. Nothing new thats really great. Thats why ive been playing my 360 more. I need to buy an hdtv now.

mastercheeze said:
If your HDTV has a DVI/HDMI or component input, then you too can enjoy PC games in HD on the big screen. It's just that easy!!!

Not really, I've tried. Try sitting on a couch hunched over attempting to play with a mouse and keyboard.. its nearly impossible. Not only that, but running games at such a HUGE resolution brought my system to its knees.

So while its 'possible' it wasn't practical at all for me. My tv does support DVI/HDMI, component and all that.. and I run a HTPC on it. However I have tried, and dislike pc gaming on my big screen. Keyboards and mice are made for a desk not a couch and/or coffee table. It was 'fun' at first, but got tiresome. Plus for the price of just what I paid for my video card, I have a system that plays games on the same setup, at great frame rates, and I can sit back, relax with a controller and play with a room full of buddies.

I've been waiting for consoles to come back into my life, and the 360 finally did it for me. :cool:

congrats, you spend 3-5grand on a gaming system that will be behind in a year or so, just like a PC, in a year the pile of games you have now will sit unused like your PC ones, you seem so dead set that the 360 is beter then computers, yet you post that you have owned other concles and you dont say if you still own/play them anymore *shrug* glad you like the 360 thou, when it came down do one of those and a new PC i went with PC because im more of a game mod junky then a gamer, plus my brother is a PC gamer and with him living outta the US at times with the airforce, we can still play games together

enjoy the 360 and the HTPC your building, but dont write off gaming PCs yet

this whole concle vs PC shit is old, its no different then ford vs chevy, AMD vs Intel, nVidia vs ATi (thou we do all know its PC, Ford, AMD, and nVidia :p )

as for some games not looking as good? pfft most PC games now are made to uabe unlockable graphics for newer cards, they know you can sell a game demanding the best shit out there to run it. and dont you dare even try to tell me 360 looks beter then a good PC, i did some testing before i upgraded the xbox looked good, the 360 looked cartoony and the PC looked best, hell even the xbox 1 has games that look beter then the 360(most notablity, tony hawks american wasteland and need for speed most wanted) plus as a perk, in a year when my PC and you 360 is showing its age, i can upgrade your well fucked

so really enjoy the 360, sometimes gaming is more fun from a couch then a computer chair, as for me
Long Live PC Gaming!

Nicepants42 said:

1. New stuff is cool
2. Old stuff gets boring
3. Everything changes
4. Nothing is perfect

:p That is so true lol

By the way I own both and I believe each one has their strong points. But my 360 does not compare to my system at all and I have connected both to my 46" HDTV and done comparisons in GRAW and Hitman Blood Money and NFS Most Wanted and the PC looks alot better and is more mod friendly in terms of modding games. That said, there are games I will only play on consoles and some I will only play on PC.

and hellz yes am waiting on my Wii dammit !! lol

JustinSane said:
I agree that PC gaming as sucked lately. Nothing new thats really great. Thats why ive been playing my 360 more. I need to buy an hdtv now.

no you dont :D

Archaea said:
Now since fight night round three. not a SINGLE interesting game has come along. Come on MS...it's August.

Console game releases always slow to a crawl during the spring and summer months. Publishers have found that an adequate game released in October to December will often outsell a good game released in May to September. Admittedly, the lean summer months are tougher on a new console than an older one since with an older console there are probably good games that you've missed. In any case, given the avalanche of titles that are going to come down during the last three months of the year, this problem probably won't be as bad for you next year.

Back