XBOX360 launch day preorders begin to sell out across country

tranCendenZ

2[H]4U
According to this thread at the popular gaming forum "Cheap Ass Gamer," EB, GameCrazy, GameStop, and other retail chain consumers are starting to be turned down for "launch day" preorders of XBOX360, and being added to a "Week 2" list.

So, bottom line, if you want an XBOX360 at launch, now would be the time to go to your local EB/GameStop and preorder!

System will go for $300 and will launch with 25-40 titles over the holiday season. System also includes free XBOX Live online multiplayer gaming on weekends.

Im in canada. I have never pre-ordered anything ever, and I always get a copy launch day.

Then again, I do go early morning launch day.

Yep, I have been told personally about this. It is $50 down at Gamestop for a preorder slot.

The LIVE that is standard is called SILVER, the LIVE that allows for multiplayer playing 24/7 is called GOLD.

The SILVER will allow for SELECT weekends for free multiplayer play. Not every weekend.

i thought there were two versions? one with hd--- one without?

is that the case? why blanket price of 300?

Archaea said:
i thought there were two versions? one with hd--- one without?

is that the case? why blanket price of 300?

The console will come standard with a 20gb upgradable hard drive for 300. The two versions thing was a rumor - having two versions would be confusing for consumers and cause problems for retailers.

tranCendenZ said:
The console will come standard with a 20gb upgradable hard drive for 300. The two versions thing was a rumor - having two versions would be confusing for consumers and cause problems for retailers.
Yep, 2 versions thing is not happening (as for now).

so is the hard-drive going to be upgradable with any old HD? Or only upgradable with an 'xbox' drive because of some sort of proprietary chip or setup they use.

Also I read something today about the xbox360 perhaps supporting the HD-DVD at a later point revision 2 or something....is that rumor or is it too early to tell, because it'd suck to pre-order the thing and then get the one without the hd-dvd when one might come out a few months later with the HD-dvd

Archaea said:
so is the hard-drive going to be upgradable with any old HD? Or only upgradable with an 'xbox' drive because of some sort of proprietary chip or setup they use.

You would need a proprietary XBOX drive which attaches to the side of the console. 80gb and larger sizes will be offered eventually.

Also I read something today about the xbox360 perhaps supporting the HD-DVD at a later point revision 2 or something....is that rumor or is it too early to tell, because it'd suck to pre-order the thing and then get the one without the hd-dvd when one might come out a few months later with the HD-dvd

HD-DVD may be included for movie playback, but not for at least 2 years after the console is launched. It will have zero impact on games, only watching movies. However it is too early to tell if this will ever happen because HD/Bluray may never catch on, making HD-DVD movie playback not a useful feature.

I figure I'll wait a couple of weeks, maybe more, after launch, because I'll want to see if there are any bugs to work out or any promotions that might happen. That, and if I really can hold myself back, I might be able to wait until the first price drop (but I doubt I'll be able to wait that long!).

tranCendenZ said:
You would need a proprietary XBOX drive which attaches to the side of the console. 80gb and larger sizes will be offered eventually.

I doubt it will be proprietary. That would cost way too much. I'm sure that if you open the hard drive portion on the side, it's just a standard 2.5" drive. But, you wont be able to upgrade it because the xbox will detect a different drive and refuse to work. It will take awhile before a hack or mod comes out to do it easily.

I would wait as well. You never know, the system may be a great dissappointment, and $300 is a lot to put down on a dissappointment.

Zero

300 for the hardware involved? Not a disappointment.

300 is way cheaper than I expected it to be. I thought 500 range would be in order...Consider that top of the line graphics cards alone are up to 650 dollars new!

where did you get 2 years before they would release HD-DVD?

That can't be right...sony will be pushing for blu-ray upon the PS3 release...Microsoft is trying to fend off the blu-ray discs being the next standard...they will attempt to release that HD-DVD long before 2 years after launch if they want to have any chance of standardizing HD-DVD instead of blu-ray

Here is what the Xbox360 is using for their drives:
  • Seagate is making them. They call them the LD25 series.
  • It is a propriatary SATA interface (for the Xbox360)
  • Standard 20gb model.
  • So far only 40gb is offered as a upgrade, larger models more likely later. (Seagate also makes these same drives in a 30gb model but that will not be offered for the X360)
  • They are 2.5" hdd's.
  • 5400rpm
  • low profile, which means they are slimmer than notebook drives.
  • they are using Seagate's DynaPlay system on the drives. (what they currently use in many DVRs)

Archaea said:
300 for the hardware involved? Not a disappointment.

300 is way cheaper than I expected it to be. I thought 500 range would be in order...Consider that top of the line graphics cards alone are up to 650 dollars new!

It is costing MS a reported $375 dollars to make each console. Merrill Lynch of Japan claims that the PlayStation 3 may cost up to $491 dollars to manufacture.

If I have to pay $350 for just the console package (along with the console you get standard the 20gb hdd, live headset, and wireless controller), I would still call it a great deal. Speaking of the X360.

As for the PS3, I will wait until I see what their package will include...if anything besides the console and a controller. They have stated allready that the HDD is sold seperate.

has toysrus taken preorder,when xbox came out they started late which was good cause i got mine after all the others stores were booked

Tiny said:
Here is what the Xbox360 is using for their drives:
  • Seagate is making them. They call them the LD25 series.
  • It is a propriatary SATA interface (for the Xbox360)
  • Standard 20gb model.
  • So far only 40gb is offered as a upgrade, larger models more likely later. (Seagate also makes these same drives in a 30gb model but that will not be offered for the X360)
  • They are 2.5" hdd's.
  • 5400rpm
  • low profile, which means they are slimmer than notebook drives.
  • they are using Seagate's DynaPlay system on the drives. (what they currently use in many DVRs)

I bet the "propriatary SATA interface" will be very similar to the "propriatary USB interface" of the Xbox 1 controllers... :-P

Maximus825 said:
I bet the "propriatary SATA interface" will be very similar to the "propriatary USB interface" of the Xbox 1 controllers... :-P
of course but all xbox games are live aware and modding a harddrive on current day xboxs is hard cause if either the harddrive or xbox its being put in has been online with a dif xbox/hardrive your banned

Maximus825 said:
I doubt it will be proprietary. That would cost way too much. I'm sure that if you open the hard drive portion on the side, it's just a standard 2.5" drive. But, you wont be able to upgrade it because the xbox will detect a different drive and refuse to work. It will take awhile before a hack or mod comes out to do it easily.

Well, sure, I heard they are using the 2.5" Seagate drives, but I assumed the original poster was asking if he could just plug in a computer hard drive and the answer to that is no. The XBOX360 would have to be cracked first to use your own HD, and it is unknown how difficult it would be to physically remove the XBOX360 HD from its casing and adapt a new drive to its interface.

So for now I will say proprietary XBOX drive as I don't see an alternative anytime soon.

Archaea said:
where did you get 2 years before they would release HD-DVD?

That can't be right...sony will be pushing for blu-ray upon the PS3 release...Microsoft is trying to fend off the blu-ray discs being the next standard...they will attempt to release that HD-DVD long before 2 years after launch if they want to have any chance of standardizing HD-DVD instead of blu-ray

I don't see why Microsoft would want Blu-Ray to fail. They are involved in Blu-Ray as well, since it uses MS' codecs. Sony is really the only one in the next-gen console wars who has a format to push, since Blu-Ray is their baby.

The only reason they'd include HD-DVD is if the format catches on, and the feature becomes a significant one to consumers. It will likely be a long time before HD-DVD or Blu-Ray catch on, if ever, and Microsoft wants to keep the price down, so I see don't see 2 years being unrealistic. The only way it will happen earlier is if HD-DVD hardware manufacturers give MS a break on hardware prices in an attempt to combat the marketshare that Blu-Ray will gain with PS3; if they can give MS an HD-DVD drive for the same price they'd pay for a standard DVD drive, then it will happen earlier.

where the hell can you preorder it at even. I have been checking every day on ebgames and it says that you can't yet, and i can't find it on gamestop either, wtf?

Makave7i Tha Don said:
where the hell can you preorder it at even. I have been checking every day on ebgames and it says that you can't yet, and i can't find it on gamestop either, wtf?

EB, Gamestop, and Gamecrazy brick and mortar shops have preorder lists, as well as some of the other brick and mortar shops.

Do they hand you a little pig-in-a-poke toy when you put in your pre-order?

damn that sucks, i would rather do it online, it's much easier to do rather than trying to find time between work to get to one of those stores that's 45 minutes away from me to reserve one :(

why do you preorder?

Let's see

I want to give gamestop 50 dollars so they can invest it and make money on it for the next 4-6 months....Sound wise???

Archaea said:
why do you preorder?

Let's see

I want to give gamestop 50 dollars so they can invest it and make money on it for the next 4-6 months....Sound wise???

well, i would assume you get the 50 dollars off of it when you go pick up your system. It also guarantees you a system on launch day.

You do realize it's the same concept as putting your money in the bank right? They do the same thing with your money, that's why you earn interest, because there using your money

Archaea said:
why do you preorder?

Let's see

The same thing could be said about putting money in the bank. Think they keep all your cash in a little vault that is protected by lasers and a guy with a big gun?

**EDIT**

Beaten to the punch above.

Archaea said:
why do you preorder?

Let's see

I preorder so I can casually walk into the store, get my console, and leave rather than waiting in line at 2am in the morning and then being trampled to death trying to get one (which I am still guaranteed not to). Not to mention you can cancel a preorder at any time.

WickedAngel said:
The same thing could be said about putting money in the bank. Think they keep all your cash in a little vault that is protected by lasers and a guy with a big gun?

**EDIT**

Beaten to the punch above.

haha, great minds think alike bro :)

Here in Spokane the 2 game stores in the mall are sold out for their first 2 shipments, I guess their must be alot of early adopters around here. He (the manager) tried to get me to preorder a xbox360 because he knew he had at least 1 more shipment coming before xmas, but I won't be getting one at launch. I long for a HD game console to compliment my hdtv, and the wireless controllers would be sweet for my long livingroom, but I'm just not interested in enough of the games I've seen to warrant a purchase. So far the only one I really want is Dead Rising, a game that I haven't heard anybody else getting stoked about. I think it looks fun, kind of like Die Hard arcade meets Resident Evil. Oh well, just my 2 cents.

tranCendenZ said:
I preorder so I can casually walk into the store, get my console, and leave rather than waiting in line at 2am in the morning and then being trampled to death trying to get one (which I am still guaranteed not to). Not to mention you can cancel a preorder at any time.
or i can just walk into the store and get one when they come out. after of course i try someone elses and see if its ne good.

Back