Xbox360 as a Media Extender

tgray96

[H]ard|Gawd
I want to use my 360 as a media extender and i hvae been trying to use xbmc, but it isnt working too great, and was wondering if anybody had any ideas of a better program

It's pretty much the Xbox 360 as a media extender in terms of extender capabilities, e.g., using the hosts tuners, etc...

Windows mce really is nice, unless you are trying to do unsupported file formats or wireless. Don't have any experience with ps3 media server.

For mkv to work on my console for me these are the steps.
install tversity 1.9.2 (not the new version)(193 fooked something up)
DO NOT INSTALL THE TVERSITY CODEC PACK.(important)
Install the cccp pack

make sure that you have proper bandwidth on your network(wireless n)
or cat 5 running to ur xbox.

worked for my 2 kids xbox and my 3 wdtv live plus on my network.

check tversity forums there is a thread out there to gives similar instructions.

also if you want to watch netflix on your console with out being a gold member,
look into a programs called playon, does netflix, amazon vod and all sorts of other shit.

good luck brotha.

I used a PS3 to stream MKV's until it died, there were some files that wouldn't play but it was better than when I tried to use my 360. I bought a refurb WDTV Live for $55 and no issues streaming MKV's. You can also customize the interface a bit if you have the patience to figure it out. Also it uses much less power and keeps the wear down on your 360.

Windows Media Center?
YUCK
PS3 media server; not even kidding, ignore the name if it matters :p
Works great!
Windows mce really is nice, unless you are trying to do unsupported file formats or wireless. Don't have any experience with ps3 media server.
YUCK
Then forget about Xbox360.
NOPE :p
For mkv to work on my console for me these are the steps.
install tversity 1.9.2 (not the new version)(193 fooked something up)
DO NOT INSTALL THE TVERSITY CODEC PACK.(important)
Install the cccp pack

make sure that you have proper bandwidth on your network(wireless n)
or cat 5 running to ur xbox.

worked for my 2 kids xbox and my 3 wdtv live plus on my network.

check tversity forums there is a thread out there to gives similar instructions.

also if you want to watch netflix on your console with out being a gold member,
look into a programs called playon, does netflix, amazon vod and all sorts of other shit.

good luck brotha.
I will Try That Thanks

I used a PS3 to stream MKV's until it died, there were some files that wouldn't play but it was better than when I tried to use my 360. I bought a refurb WDTV Live for $55 and no issues streaming MKV's. You can also customize the interface a bit if you have the patience to figure it out. Also it uses much less power and keeps the wear down on your 360.
Thanks for the Idea!

WMC is the best way to use the 360 as an extender to watch live TV or recordings. It woks pretty well. I use mine to schedule recordings and watch tv -- the recordings are actually stored on my atom/ion htpc and recorded via. a networked hd homerun.

.avi streaming is built into the xbox already. If you are trying to stream .mkv's ps3media center is pretty easy to get going.

Back