Xbox360 and patching: Mildly annoyed random musing

MartinX

One Hour Martinizing While You Wait
I was just thinking about this today, I know CoD2 was patched, but I havn't got that so I don't know how it panned out, but how the heck does this work?

I know that Oblivion will be receiving a patch, but it seems to me to be a horrific kludge. Consoles don't install games like a PC does, on the PC all the assets and code are stored compressed on a CD/DVD, during the installation process they are transferred and decompressed to your PCs hard drive, and are then pulled from there into RAM to allow play, on a console, the assets are effectively pre-installed on the DVD in an uncompressed form, and streamed straight from the disk into the RAM, obviously a hard drive can be used as swapfile to speed things up.

Here's the thing though, on a PC the installation is dynamic, if bugs need to be fixed or enhancements made you can simply alter/replace the existing files with little difficulty, but on a console the installation is static, you can't alter/replace the files.
So, to patch a game on a console, you have to download and store the altered files separately, and then replace the originals dynamically as they are streamed off the DVD.

That really sucks, firstly because there is simply no way that that process can work without hurting performance, and secondly because over time the modified files stored on the Hard-Drive are going to build up and possibly become an issue.

There are only two alternatives that I can see, one, release code-perfect games (or at least close enough that any problems are minor and forgettable), this will not happen, two, release updated Media with the corrected files, I can see this happening easily enough, where basically after the game has been patched they make a new master which is used for subsequent Media production, though obviously people who bought the game with the original bugged version are SoL.

This is something that genuinely concerns me about how the "next-gen" console market will develop, it was clear that this was going to be a problem from very early on, and MS did say that live was not to be considered a safety net for shitty QA, but I think we all knew that wasn't going to fly, I mean, MS needed EA and Bethesda to put COD2 and Oblivion on the X360 way more than EA or Bethesda needed to be on it, so they were always going to bend over.

Hopefully stuff that is more reliant on the Xbox360 market (gears of war for instance) would be motivated to have higer QA standards, but I'm not sure I'm willing to tolerate this kind of screwing around on consoles, the whole point of a console is that you push a button and it just works, if they degenerate into the same patchathons that haunt PC games I'll be mightily peeved.

Just saying.

A 100GB HDD should be released some time this year. That should take care of any space related issues that may arise from patches. With the default hard drive, you should still be able to have plenty of patches without running out of space if you don't download a lot of additional content.

Don't expect good QA any time soon, especially if EA is on the box.

dotK said:
A 100GB HDD should be released some time this year. That should take care of any space related issues that may arise from patches. With the default hard drive, you should still be able to have plenty of patches without running out of space if you don't download a lot of additional content.

The space doesn't bother me as much as the stupid ineffeciency and performance loss.

Yeah, making a big, complicated, technologically advanced game is huge undertaking, but then again, they only have to code for one cpu and instruction set, one graphics api, one model of gpu, one audio controller, one shader model, etc...

Although even the outside possiblility of having to consider buying a bigger hard drive (which will be competitively priced no doubt :rolleyes: ) to store bug fixes for a console is just such an awful thing to contemplate.

Well, I don't believe that you will ever need to purchase a larger hard drive for the sole purpose of storing game patches. The larger hard drive(s), when made available, will be mostly for those who download a lot of the game demos and movie trailers off of Xbox Live, and also for those who would like to burn their entire CD collection to the Xbox 360's hard drive.

dotK said:

I don't see how you are going to run out of space from storing patches on the harddrive. They just havn't been that big. Also, I don't know about you, but i've never had any problems with EA games on both the console and PC. In fact, I think the EA games i've played have been some of the most solid out of all games. Of course, I havn't played Battlefield 2, so I can't answer that aspect of it.

MartinX said:
The space doesn't bother me as much as the stupid ineffeciency and performance loss.

Yeah, making a big, complicated, technologically advanced game is huge undertaking, but then again, they only have to code for one cpu and instruction set, one graphics api, one model of gpu, one audio controller, one shader model, etc...

You hear all the PC people complaining about the interface on Oblivion saying that the consoles ruined the game. Well here is the flip side of the argument. Bethesda didn't have one CPU, one GPU one audio controller etc.... to program for. They had thousands of different combinations because they had to make the game for PC as well. They no doubtedly shared the lions share of the coding between the two platforms. Therefore this is a case where the PC version has hurt the console version.

Also, I dont see patches being a problem space wise. So far the only patches to games have been minor bug fixes, nothing that is going to take up much space.

Yeah, Oblivion being a PC game ruined the console version, despite the fact that the game was made for the X360 first, PC second (XNA tools, anyone). :rolleyes:

Anyway, what about the people without a hard drive? Remember, the core system is the basis for all games made for the X360, according to the developers' guidelines set by MS. All the people who don't have/can't afford an HD thanks to the huge price tag associated with the system and games, who only have a memory card... what will they do with all of these buggy games? They can't download the patch, so they're stuck with it. I miss the old days of console gaming... my PC is where I dealt with this buggy stuff and patches, and tweaked, etc... and my console was where my bug-free gaming took place, for the most part. I don't like where this patching business is going... it happened enough on the XBox, and shouldn't have to happen on the 360.

Back