Xbox Scorpio Dev Kit May Hint at Console’s Final Design

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Gamasutra has an exclusive look at the development kit for the Xbox Scorpio. If it is any indication of the final product, fans of the Xbox One S should be pleased, as it resembles a smaller version of that—though I would much prefer it in black, like the original. I am trying to think of a reason why Microsoft should bring the OLED screen to the consumer version, since it looks pretty awesome.

…the kit sports a real-time clock and battery backup, as well as an OLED screen w/ navigation button on the front of the box and five programmable buttons. This seems like a small but meaningful quality-of-life improvement for devs: if you’re working with Scorpio dev kits, you should be able to set them up to display useful data like, says, frames per second, at a glance. The dev kit has exactly the same ports (down to an HDMI IN jack) as the retail Scorpio, as well as an additional three front-facing USB ports and an extra NIC (network interface card) for transmitting debug information while running a multiplayer game.

This...theoretically....should point to some interesting developments for RX4xx GPUs I'd think? If they're able to muster an extra TFLOP from the design inside a comparatively small chassis on Polaris that bodes well that there's still some scaling left in the design.

This...theoretically....should point to some interesting developments for RX4xx GPUs I'd think? If they're able to muster an extra TFLOP from the design inside a comparatively small chassis on Polaris that bodes well that there's still some scaling left in the design.

We will see because they were able to get that extra TFLOP from the memory layout and the pumped up speed. In other words the Scorpio being an SoC was working in its favor in this case. That being said, I am also curious what tricks the Polaris is able to pull off.

M$ pushing for freesync is a good news, they have enough weight to make a significant change into panels to have LFC compatibility, and with some luck that should translates into monitors also.
i also wonder if that drawcall feature would be added to vega, because i don't recall it being part of polaris.
i still think they should let go of the xbone, not completly, but at least allow devs to make exclusive content for scorpio if they deem their project requires it, instead of forcing them to drag xbone along...

I would love for an xbone with that screen in front. That's like the old school home stereo systems that used to use digital spectrum analyzers, they looked when you were jamming out. This is the same idea. Come on Microsoft, this is an idea to make it really stand out!

I would love for an xbone with that screen in front. That's like the old school home stereo systems that used to use digital spectrum analyzers, they looked when you were jamming out. This is the same idea. Come on Microsoft, this is an idea to make it really stand out!

We had these on our modded original Xbox

http://s18.postimg.org/ivpjenjpl/IMG_1243.jpg

Back