Xbox price, explain.

Neural Interface

Limp Gawd
Xbox Price
$399.99 U.S./€399.99/£279.99

First of Europeans are getting seriously screwed over with that amount and the U.K to a lesser extent.

399.99 USD = 221.750 GBP (£60 diff)

399.99 EUR = 488.867 USD

399.99 USD = 327.268 EUR (73 Euro diff)

These are current market rates
£ > EUR > $

Could some explain why the U.S is getting it for a substantial amount less than the rest of the world? U.S also has the weakest currency?

USA rules.

Maybe it has something to do with the VAT and all that crap tax you Euroes pay.

We all know the dodgy rules when it comes to pricing between Uk / US - we just swap the $ for a £. :(

It’s our standard discount for World Domination. It averages at about 10%, but it can change depending on the product. I just hate the fact we have to sometimes share it with Canada. Come on, what have they ever done to deserve it?!

Maybe MS has a bone to pick with the EU because they whined like little bitches about Windows Media Player being included with Windows.
FFS people: Start>Settings>Control Pannel>Add or Remove Programs>Windows Media Player>Remove :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It's simple. In the US, the consumers still have guns. So the government can't screw them on electronics.

That's what that whole business in 1776 was about :D

Neural Interface said:
Xbox Price

First of Europeans are getting seriously screwed over with that amount and the U.K to a lesser extent.

399.99 USD = 221.750 GBP (£60 diff)

399.99 EUR = 488.867 USD

399.99 USD = 327.268 EUR (73 Euro diff)

These are current market rates
£ > EUR > $

Could some explain why the U.S is getting it for a substantial amount less than the rest of the world? U.S also has the weakest currency?

it's all about demographics, europeans and americans have different buying behaviors.

And we have the Daisy Cutters and the MOABs, and lots of planes to transport them ;) Now all we need is to accidentally drop some on the OPEC nations and get Gas prces back down :D

VAT does play a role, but there's also import tax to consider, greater competition in the States, economies of scale and transportation costs. it also doesn't help that people in Europe and the UK are perfectly willing to fork over more money for a console.

The pumps are off for now, if I am not mistaken. They are producing no oil ATM, but it will be a crucial factor in getting the economy back in order. When that happens, we may see the prices fall a bit. That doesn't change the fact we would not have to fly far to drop one in Redmond :D

Since when have Europeans ever received fair deals when it comes to the pricing of technology?

I think it has to do with how the tax is included in the prices of the european xbox 360 but in the price of the US 360. And yes europeans get screwed on the prices of electronics.

Aelfgeft said:
It's simple. In the US, the consumers still have guns. So the government can't screw them on electronics.

That's what that whole business in 1776 was about :D
we still get screwed on electronics. just not as much.

well the $ is just the US right, and isn't the Euro for like 12 different countries or something?

well that plays a role for sure, plus MS is based in the US so yeah.

Dragonscript said:
It’s our standard discount for World Domination. It averages at about 10%, but it can change depending on the product. I just hate the fact we have to sometimes share it with Canada. Come on, what have they ever done to deserve it?!

lol QFT

This is what happened with the Xbox too. It is ridiculous.

But the most ridiculous thing is the price of the X2 accessories. Those piss me off so much that I think I will just wait till the PS3 comes out and not buy an X2.

The accessories could be an Achielles heel for the Xbox. Sony should take advantage of this, but somehow I doubt it. Sony has a really, really, really bad history of making this proprietary and making it hard for 3rd parties to leverage their storage and controllers.

Microsoft was going so well with their X360. But I think they screwed up with their globalization strategy and the accessories. They want to be the first to 12 million sold, but I don't think it's going to happen if they piss on their customers like that. I will still buy it because I love my Xbox and, to me it's worth it, but they are not going to get he new customers.

Staples said:
This is what happened with the Xbox too. It is ridiculous.

But the most ridiculous thing is the price of the X2 accessories. Those piss me off so much that I think I will just wait till the PS3 comes out and not buy an X2.

:rolleyes:

It happens with every gaming system. Even the Dreamcast was more expensive in Europe.

I think I can help on the price difference....

First is what has been mentioned, taxes. The second is that the XBOX sold in the U.S. is not the same as the XBOX sold in Europe. First, it requires a different power plug/supply, as the standard in Europe is not the same as that of America. This adds to the price because the volume of units sold will be nowhere near the U.S. sales, so to justify the change requires a slightly higher price point. I am not positive about this, but I believe there are other standards that also change between U.S. and Europe, but I do not have full knowledge of the specifics as to what else is changed. With all the changes, it is slightly understandable why there is a price difference.

Also, does anyone know where they manufacture all the different XBOX components, because if any are made in the Americas, it could also cost more with the additional shipping.

Zero

Xbox = Made in America = cheaper for the US market. I can go to Germany and buy a BMW/Mercedes for far cheaper than I can buy it here in the states, but then I have to ship it over here...

This is just a theory, correct me, in a civilized manner, if I'm wrong. (lord knows this forum is notorious for bashing if somebody is mistaken).

meh,

Its gonna be the same thing for the united snakes as it is for the rest of the world (wonder what it costs back in oz....)

they will make just one power box i imagine, just swap out the power cable (I have yet to see any kind of power brick that doesn't do 100-240 50/60 in the past few years) and flip a switch to make the mofos region coded to wherever they are destined.

Still, here in bongwaterland (netherlands) if you drop the tax it would make it 324 euros or about 394 in united steaks dollars (they got 19% VAT here)

Myself, the price is fine, its pretty much what I would have expected.

Dragonscript said:

As a Canadian this offends me. It does not surprise me though. I hate to make a generalization, but is it any surprise, your international relations are so piss poor, with the "we are the world super power so bow to us" mentality so many of the lower intelligence Americans seem to have?

I think one of the main things we (Canada) have done to deserve it is.... pay down our debt. A second is our foreign policy. We seem to be able to communicate with other religions, cultures, countries, without feeling the need to force our way of life and thinking with guns a' blazing. Its called tolerance, and will only become more important with globalization.

You do know what has happened to every single world super power throughout history right? They have all vanished, mostly due to the fact that there ego blinds them from internal and external problems such as economy and foreign policy. Sound familiar?

With the economy of both India and China growing at a seemingly exponential rate, the United States economy is going to be surpassed in as little as 5 - 10 years. I mean why do you think there is so little foreign investment in the USD ? For a country that prides itself on its capitalistic nature, ignorance will be no excuse when capitalisim becomes its downfall. When your currency falters and devalues to the point where it becomes worthless, who, in the international community, is going to be there to bail you out, with the current state of your foreign policy?

Dragonscript said:

Well they invaded America and burnt the Whitehouse down for starters

Show them some respect

ProwlerTech said:
Xbox = Made in America = cheaper for the US market. I can go to Germany and buy a BMW/Mercedes for far cheaper than I can buy it here in the states, but then I have to ship it over here...

This is just a theory, correct me, in a civilized manner, if I'm wrong. (lord knows this forum is notorious for bashing if somebody is mistaken).
Actually, its made at three different manufacturers factories in China... but I know what yer getting at...

The thing that makes me laugh is that the people in the US will still moan about the price of the Xbox 360, And stop eating those supersize meals you fat gits!!

Draax said:
As a Canadian this offends me. It does not surprise me though. I hate to make a generalization, but is it any surprise, your international relations are so piss poor, with the "we are the world super power so bow to us" mentality so many of the lower intelligence Americans seem to have?
I am glad you are making a distinction because most foreign people believe that all Americans are dumbasses.

Staples said:
I am glad you are making a distinction because most foreign people believe that all Americans are dumbasses.

Thats the problem tho, not many people can make that distinction. Generalizations are a way of life, and its very true that a few bad eggs spoil the bunch.

It has to be a two way street tho. I know a few Americans, not a good representation I know, that think all Muslims are terrorists, or all Afganis are Al'Queda.

I believe he was joking about Canadians, but alas...

You're right about misconceptions on the Middle-East though. It takes a lot of time to explain to people here (South Georgia) that Islam isn't a radical religion and most Muslims simply want to live in peace and be left alone.

Back