Xbox One X Launches Worldwide

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Xbox One X, the first true 4K video game console, is launching worldwide today. “With 40 percent more power than any other console, Xbox One X is where console gamers can play the best versions of games,” Microsoft’s Will Tuttle writes. “The new console launches with the largest games lineup in Xbox history, with more than 70 Xbox One X Enhanced titles coming in the first week and more than 50 available on launch day.” A review roundup may be found here.

While the Xbox One X is an expensive box, from a hardware standpoint, you're getting a very powerful and capable machine. You'll be hard pressed to build a comparably powerful PC for $500. On top of that, you get a 4K HDR Blu-ray player, which can cost several hundred dollars on its own. But the Xbox One X isn't perfect. From what I can tell so far, its load times don't live up to Microsoft's claims, and I noticed some poor HDR implementation.

Wouldn't bad load times and HDR implementation in only a couple games be the fault of said game's developers and not a shortcoming of the platform it's on? I mean if we all judged the capabilities of the PS4 on Knack the console would have been DOA. Thankfully that wasn't the case.

Hard pass. I have a PS4 pro, and the graphical difference, while noticeable, is still very slight in comparison. I would also have to invest in at least one additional controller and rechargeable batteries. For what? Halo? Gears? Forza? I can play more games, and more TRUE exclusive games, on my PS4.

For the masses? It's $499. Only die hard Xbox fans will buy at that price. For all of the hype, sales wont justify the continued existence of the brand.

Hard pass. I have a PS4 pro, and the graphical difference, while noticeable, is still very slight in comparison. I would also have to invest in at least one additional controller and rechargeable batteries. For what? Halo? Gears? Forza? I can play more games, and more TRUE exclusive games, on my PS4.

For the masses? It's $499. Only die hard Xbox fans will buy at that price. For all of the hype, sales wont justify the continued existence of the brand.

Says the diehard Sony fan and PS4 fan.......... Some would say that there is no justifiable continued existence of the PS4 because the PC can blow it out of the water. (Without the PS4, those games would have come to the PC, some would say.) Me? I bought the XBox One X because I wanted one and consumers will as well.

Your opinion speaks for your own personal preferences, nothing more.

Have to wait till thursday to get mine in. Damnitt Amazon you had ONE JOB!

Now I need a 4k TV, mmm LG C7 OLED...

I do not understand the mindset behind sticking with one console and berating others for getting this, that, and the other. People can have all the current gen consoles and not just one for the exclusive titles as well (granted that would be expensive).

A console is a console, you play games on it to have fun.

Plus the real winner here is AMD.

I do not understand the mindset behind sticking with one console and berating others for getting this, that, and the other. People can have all the current gen consoles and not just one for the exclusive titles as well (granted that would be expensive).

Because my epeen is bigger than your epeen. That's the only measuring stick that counts.

Beautiful piece of hardware and I really do like the 1440p and freesync support. I'm hoping somebody pairs this console up with a HP Omen 32 and reports the results.

I currently use a PS4 hooked up to my PC monitor for console exclusives and sports titles (though it's mostly been collecting dust as of late), so if I could run games at a native 1440p with freesync, that'd be a great combo console to my PC.

Still, the price is a bit much to use it to play the odd sport title and I'm learning more towards a Switch for my next console purchase.

Both the original PS4 and the XBox One had grossly under-powered GPUs for 1080p, so I'm glad to see the XBox get an update. And the X is an awesome piece of hardware.

However, as someone who owns both an XBox One (OG) and a PS4 Pro, I probably won't be getting the X...at least not right away. The PS4 Pro's 4 GPU is very solid for 1080p, and Sony just has much better exclusives (though I do prefer the XBox controller). Who knows? Maybe I'll get an X when I get around to buying a 4k TV.

P.S. The idea that XBox will die as a brand -- at least in the foreseeable future -- is utterly inane. I mean...seriously? :p

I completely regret my xbone purchase, it is nothing more than a space holder in my entertainment center. I loved the Xbox line until the xbone too.

Will not be buying this anytime soon, there just are no titles that justify having this console and an amazing PC (as most are cross platform). Love my PS4 Pro, which is something the PS3/360 me would kick my ass for saying.

I completely regret my xbone purchase, it is nothing more than a space holder in my entertainment center. I loved the Xbox line until the xbone too.

Will not be buying this anytime soon, there just are no titles that justify having this console and an amazing PC (as most are cross platform). Love my PS4 Pro, which is something the PS3/360 me would kick my ass for saying.

I have to say the opposite, I have completely enjoyed using my XBox One with the Kinect 2. However, I also have an XBox 360 but do not really use it all that much anymore. (360 Slim with a 250GB HD.) I think that the Playstation series is good but, I prefer to stick to one line.. (I had a PS/2 slim and found that I was not using it, the batteries in the wireless controller leaked out.)

The PS/2 has some good games that are just not on anything else.

Says the diehard Sony fan and PS4 fan.......... Some would say that there is no justifiable continued existence of the PS4 because the PC can blow it out of the water. (Without the PS4, those games would have come to the PC, some would say.) Me? I bought the XBox One X because I wanted one and consumers will as well.

Your opinion speaks for your own personal preferences, nothing more.

No, it's based on the fact that Sony and Nintendo are both outselling the Xbox One. It's based on the fact that Sony actually has exclusive games that can not be played on PC or any other console...ALL Xbox One games are available on PC with the possible exception of Sunset Overhype. And it's based on the fact that consoles priced at over $400 have NEVER sold well. But hey, good luck calling "sony bias" on reality, bub! See you in the Spring when the financials roll in!

I personally could give a shit less about the Sony ecosystem.... It has nothing going for it that I care about. Too many failed Sony products have been thrown away by me to warrant their shenanigans. My PS3 was thrown away after it yellow lighted... My XPeria TV was traded for an LG after the HDMI board fried. My Sony Receiver was thrown out because it started smoking..... I could go on and on...

Who gives a shit XBOX One is being outsold... It's not going anywhere. I personally own 3 of them (Fat, Slim, X).

Definitely needs more exclusives to get an PS4 or PC gamers to switch.

No, absolutely not. We need an open market where consumers can purchase content they desire and play on any system (assuming said system has the power to do so). Closed Eco systems hurt no one but us gamer's.

Depending on the bundle, I will most likely grab a PS4 Pro this holiday season. $299 with Last of Us and Uncharted and it's a done deal.
I'm sure X1X is great but the PS4 exclusive titles are the ones I want to play

No, absolutely not. We need an open market where consumers can purchase content they desire and play on any system (assuming said system has the power to do so). Closed Eco systems hurt no one but us gamer's.

Agree with that an open market is ideal, however, Sony is absolutely killing MS in terms of exclusive software (be it 1st party or 'timed' 3rd party exclusives). I was hoping Steam Machines would be a successful venture (and lead to a more open market), however it failed. I'm hoping MS gets a solid amount of exclusive software (still offering this exclusive software for Windows-based PCs) but keeps multiplayer 3rd party games open (ala rocket league cross platform compatibility).

Depending on the bundle, I will most likely grab a PS4 Pro this holiday season. $299 with Last of Us and Uncharted and it's a done deal.
I'm sure X1X is great but the PS4 exclusive titles are the ones I want to play
Yep, my plan as well. Too many exclusives I want to play on PS4 (TLOU2,Ghost of Tsushima, still haven't played Horizon and new DLC is coming out).

I plan to grab a Pro on BF, and when RDR2 hits in May I'll consider a deeply discounted X if runs the game significantly better than Pro ( I have my doubts since many publishers have a platform parity policy to protect sales).

Microsoft famously botched the original One launch and infuriated gamers, the $499 pricetag didn't help, and now they're blowing it again by not bothering to have a good firstparty exclusive ready for this $499 reboot. It's baffling.

Last edited:
I have to say the opposite, I have completely enjoyed using my XBox One with the Kinect 2. However, I also have an XBox 360 but do not really use it all that much anymore. (360 Slim with a 250GB HD.) I think that the Playstation series is good but, I prefer to stick to one line.. (I had a PS/2 slim and found that I was not using it, the batteries in the wireless controller leaked out.)

The PS/2 has some good games that are just not on anything else.

Good for you. I find that the lack of exclusives coupled with the fact that most PC's are just better then the Xbone (and likely the X as well) it just makes sense to pick up XYZ title on the PC and put a controller on it if you must.

If you prefer to stick to one line these days PlayStation or Nintendo is the clear choice, as pretty much every xbox game is also a windows game.

Also why are you talking about a console over a decade old? Yeah, the PS and PS2 had some great exclusives, so did the Xbox, 360, N64, Gamecube and Wii...

Good for you. I find that the lack of exclusives coupled with the fact that most PC's are just better then the Xbone (and likely the X as well) it just makes sense to pick up XYZ title on the PC and put a controller on it if you must.

If you prefer to stick to one line these days PlayStation or Nintendo is the clear choice, as pretty much every xbox game is also a windows game.

Also why are you talking about a console over a decade old? Yeah, the PS and PS2 had some great exclusives, so did the Xbox, 360, N64, Gamecube and Wii...

Good for you too. :D The fact is, the clear choice is strictly your opinion and personal preference and I am cool with that. You, on the other hand, seem to want to push an us vs them attitude but hey, that is ok, that is not going to change today or any other day. (The way it has been and probably will always be.)

I see no point in buying a PS4 or Nintendo because they have nothing I want. Amazing that we have choice but what can I say, I like choice.

Good for you too. :D The fact is, the clear choice is strictly your opinion and personal preference and I am cool with that. You, on the other hand, seem to want to push an us vs them attitude but hey, that is ok, that is not going to change today or any other day. (The way it has been and probably will always be.)

I see no point in buying a PS4 or Nintendo because they have nothing I want. Amazing that we have choice but what can I say, I like choice.

Yet your the one that constantly replies to others comments and stir the pot by offering your opinion, while offering nothing to back up your position other than you like it. So good for you, and I think I'm done replying to you at all, in any post.

Yet your the one that constantly replies to others comments and stir the pot by offering your opinion, while offering nothing to back up your position other than you like it. So good for you, and I think I'm done replying to you at all, in any post.

Play Anywhere titles, 4 free games a month, backwards compatibility even back to the original xbox, robust and excellent online service, really good games on there, really good game sales....... No need to be on just one platform. EA subscription, if I wanted it, MS Game Pass, no need to buy my games again for backwards compatibility to work, enhanced XBox 360 games and probably XBox original games.......

Just a few of the reasons I prefer what I use. (Play Anywhere titles are great, it is great to buy it once and play it on my XBox One and PC, if I want.)

So...you're faulting him for not providing evidence that his opinion is correct? Isn't that like demanding that someone "prove" that blue is better than red?

Just another day on the Internet I suppose.

Last edited:
I bought my Xbox one for 450 with Kinect and expanded game bundle, got 2 extra controllers, headset and battery chargers.

499 doesn't seem like much more. Hopefully its not a 500gb drive stuck on sata2

I haven't been following this shit. can the one X run windows 10 and play pc games?

Totally agree. Buy them all.

I called BS on her builds, she matching performance with outdated PC parts to match the Xbox 1 X where you can get newer cheaper video cards, bargain mobos etc and only expense be the 4k blu-ray. Who the fk buys a 580 ?

My early review - slick little machine. Seems to perform MUCH better than the base model I replaced with it. HDR and 4k is definitely noticeable, but I have the HT equipment to support it (Samsung JS9500). The PQ is noticeably better in general - better color saturation and contrast.

Menus seem snappier and load times at least measurably better even on the non enhanced games. It's cleaner, much smaller, very quiet and cool running, and just overall much higher quality workmanship than the original giant box as well. Can't say how much of an upgrade it is over the S as I didn't opt for one, but certainly don't regret my purchase.

BTW - have a PS4 and was not going to upgrade to a modern HT device without a UHD Blu-Ray... how Sony shit the bed with that still baffles me (I'm sure it was so they didn't cannibalize their own players that were more $$ than the PS4 Pro, but still... add an extra $100 and many of us would have opted for that and not waited for Scorpio)

Love how it has freesync. That must be tempting for existing PC users..
Now we just need to wait for active sync TVs, then AMD GPUs start making even more sense.

That's only one generation. If you were to expect a brand to die off after one bad generation, the PS4 shouldn't have been made. The Switch shouldn't have been made.

People want to make themselves feel better about their purchase. I think that's the only reason for them berating others.

Me. I bought a PS4, then sold it after I got a PS4 Pro. Also got the PSVR. I had the Day One Edition Xbox One, then gave that to my sister, after moving to the Xbox One S. I also have a couple gaming PCs. Have a PS Vita and PSP. I didn't bother with Nintendo, as they don't have enough to entice me to want to get one of their consoles. None of their 1st party games I care about and the 3rd party games are a bit lack luster.

I don't regret my Xbox One purchase, but I do regret moving to the Xbox One S. I can't tell the difference between it and the Xbox One. I only got it for the UHD BD player functions and I wish I would have just bought a seperate UHD BD player.

Last edited:
Back