Xbox One, without Kinect, available for pre-order

I wonder how good that Kinect is. I heard the Kinect 1 for PC was way better than the XBO 360. So if it's the same kind of situation, then meh.

I'm pretty sure the Kinect, that comes with the Xbox One, is better than the current Kinect hardware on the PC. I seem to recall some articles, from a couple of months ago, talking about Microsoft bringing the second gen. Kinect over to the PC.
 
That's sort of what I'm wondering. Yes I heard it's better than the Kinect 1, but are they planning to bring a better Kinect 2 to PC or will they just resale that kinect separately for the PC release, which I heard they were going to do.
 
It is extremely easy to tell the real level of knowledge people have on these boards. The users im talking about ONLY post in the console gaming section, and ONLY do so in one manner. One other user is just looking for a way to say how horrible of a company microsoft is in every single related thread, including trying to defend how fantastic SteamOS is going to be and like its the second coming of Christ and Microsoft is soooo worried about it.

Its easy to tell based on the content of the posts that these people have absolutely 0 technical knowledge, have absolutely 0 real marketing experience, and are just self-proclaimed know it alls based off of reading boards like this.

Notice how these posters seem to think everything sony does is absolutely brilliant without acknowledging the fact that the company will be absolutely lucky to exist in 5 years. Every segmant of Sony is operating at a loss, including the PS side.

They also speak as though the PS4 is some brilliant feet of engineering and marketing when it reality 100% of its advantage is due to luck. Initial marketing had the PS4 needing to have GDDR5 ram with no specification on its amount. Initial design documents show it as having 4 GBs. The only reason the move to 8 was made was due to the price of memory dropping to a level that they could increase it.

Microsofts requirement on the other hand was specific about the amount not the type. And because of initial costs the slower memory was chosen. Sony was lucky to have fallen into the advantage they now have, it was not engineering or marketing brilliance.

Lots of bold claims Vlad, always a pleasure reading your posts.

8/10
 
That's sort of what I'm wondering. Yes I heard it's better than the Kinect 1, but are they planning to bring a better Kinect 2 to PC or will they just resale that kinect separately for the PC release, which I heard they were going to do.

I'm not sure. On the Microsoft Kinect wikipedia page it says this:

The second-generation Kinect for Windows v2, based on the same core technology as Kinect for Xbox One, including a new sensor, is scheduled for general release in summer 2014 (northern hemisphere). Developer Preview kits were delivered to qualifying participants starting November 22, 2013.

However, when you read some of the earlier news articles, about the new hardware coming to the PC, they don't mention anything about this "new sensor," and that just the logo stuff is different, on the outside of the hardware.
 
pssst, thats revenue, not profit

edit: Hell that entire article is bogus, there isnt a single word of truth to it. They ran a 78 million loss
For those looking to see the actual fiscal year financial analysis, here is the link to the document directly from the source:
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/13q4_sony.pdf

Overall (year-to-year)
  • Operating revenue increased 14.3%
  • Operating income decreased 88.3%
  • $890 million US of the $20 billion decrease was attributed to the PC business
Game Segment (year-to-year)
  • Operating revenue increased 38.5%
  • Operating income was at a loss of $80 million US
  • $60 million US of the $80 million loss was attributed to writing off certain PC titles sold by SOE
  • Remaining loss attributed to costs of PS4 launch
  • Game segment historical trend shows a net gain over the lifetime of a console
Bottom line is that fiscal year 2013 for Sony looks worse than it actually is due to the dropping of their PC business, acquisition of other assets, and restructuring. This process will be ongoing, and Sony has forecast a (lower) net loss for the fiscal year 2014 of $499 million. Their movie, music, and camera divisions are doing extremely well. It was a rough year for Sony, but I hardly think that they will go out of business in the next 5 years.
 
I'm not sure. On the Microsoft Kinect wikipedia page it says this:



However, when you read some of the earlier news articles, about the new hardware coming to the PC, they don't mention anything about this "new sensor," and that just the logo stuff is different, on the outside of the hardware.

It sounds like they are talking about the new sensor being the sensor upgrade that the Kinect two got over the kinect 1.
 
I had a feeling this might happen. The Kinect still needs some improvement and it still misses about 30% of the commands you say. Personally I've been using the Xbox Media Remote and not the Kinect.
 
Annoyances with Kinect are why I don't tend to use my XB1 much. I'd have sold it if it was easy to get rid of, but shipping would be 20% of the sales price though.

Ill be watching a movie and it will randomly start rewinding. Drives me bats hit insane.
 
I had a feeling this might happen. The Kinect still needs some improvement and it still misses about 30% of the commands you say. Personally I've been using the Xbox Media Remote and not the Kinect.

Annoyances with Kinect are why I don't tend to use my XB1 much. I'd have sold it if it was easy to get rid of, but shipping would be 20% of the sales price though.

Ill be watching a movie and it will randomly start rewinding. Drives me bats hit insane.

I'm in the beta program we've had at least 3 updates so far in the current version which is leading up to Junes update. Kinect is 99.9% accurate right now in voice and visual recognition. They have made huge improvements.
 
I'm in the beta program we've had at least 3 updates so far in the current version which is leading up to Junes update. Kinect is 99.9% accurate right now in voice and visual recognition. They have made huge improvements.

Too little too late I think. XB1 Kinect was pitched as a huge improvement over the original Kinect. And while technically it is, I don't think it felt like it in normal use.

One of my friends is super annoyed about his Kinect picking up voices in shows or not doing what he wants when he talks to it. They can make tons of improvements moving forward, however he already moved on to the PS4.
 
Too little too late I think. XB1 Kinect was pitched as a huge improvement over the original Kinect. And while technically it is, I don't think it felt like it in normal use.

One of my friends is super annoyed about his Kinect picking up voices in shows or not doing what he wants when he talks to it. They can make tons of improvements moving forward, however he already moved on to the PS4.

Mine has NEVER picked up a voice from a show EVER and I have a 7.1 surround setup.

And my sons in his room hooked just to a TV has never either.

People can hate on it all they want but it fucking works.

It actually pisses me off that peoples whining keeps taking away cool stuff. If all I wanted was to game I would just sit at my desk.
 
Mine has NEVER picked up a voice from a show EVER and I have a 7.1 surround setup.

And my sons in his room hooked just to a TV has never either.

People can hate on it all they want but it fucking works.

It actually pisses me off that peoples whining keeps taking away cool stuff. If all I wanted was to game I would just sit at my desk.

It's cool that it works for you, however I can assure you it definitely doesn't work well for everyone. People are not whining because it worked so well they just needed to go online and trash it.
 
Lots of bold claims Vlad, always a pleasure reading your posts.

8/10
Lol, its luck that sony made a smaller console that has the psu built in while ms made another vcr with an external psu. Not better engineering, but luck! Ha!
 
Mine has NEVER picked up a voice from a show EVER and I have a 7.1 surround setup.

And my sons in his room hooked just to a TV has never either.

People can hate on it all they want but it fucking works.

It actually pisses me off that peoples whining keeps taking away cool stuff. If all I wanted was to game I would just sit at my desk.

Consoles were originally made specifically for gaming. I'm not sure when we decided it's time to add all this useless crap on top. The most frustrating part though is that there are almost zero good offline coop games anymore. That was what always set consoles apart from PC's for me, but that seems to be gone now. Sorry, kind of an off-topic rant there, but that shit really bothers me with the coop.
 
Consoles were originally made specifically for gaming. I'm not sure when we decided it's time to add all this useless crap on top. The most frustrating part though is that there are almost zero good offline coop games anymore. That was what always set consoles apart from PC's for me, but that seems to be gone now. Sorry, kind of an off-topic rant there, but that shit really bothers me with the coop.

Agreed. Now that both consoles charge for multiplayer, I'm expecting split-screen and system link multiplayer to become very scarce.
 
Lol, its luck that sony made a smaller console that has the psu built in while ms made another vcr with an external psu. Not better engineering, but luck! Ha!

I would have preferred they made it larger so it would be silent like the "VCR "

The "VCR " runs all day silently while the other makes noise when you load disks and hums for a bit then long gaming sessions make the back vents quite audible.

I bought 3 year warranties on both I'm pretty sure which one ill need and I doubt it'll be the "VCR " having everything crammed in a little container isn't always a good thing.
 
I would have preferred they made it larger so it would be silent like the "VCR "

The "VCR " runs all day silently while the other makes noise when you load disks and hums for a bit then long gaming sessions make the back vents quite audible.

I bought 3 year warranties on both I'm pretty sure which one ill need and I doubt it'll be the "VCR " having everything crammed in a little container isn't always a good thing.

You're reaching
 
While I can understand why Microsoft would want to sell a Kinect with every system, it's nice to see them acknowledge that some people just don't care how much MS spent on developing the tech or about it's other features and just want a cheaper device. My first thought on hearing the news was "Oh hey, that's pretty cool. Good job MS. The UI still looks like a fucking mess to navigate with a controller but that's bound to be something they deal with in time" and then I read about them saying they're planning to rework the UI. If they can pull off a good E3 showing along with this I could see the XB1 getting a really nice sales boost that quite frankly MS could use at the moment. They're not in a bad spot but seeing good news pop up about their sales will boost consumer and investor confidence in the thing. Beyond that close competition between Sony and MS should mean good things for consumers...Well good things and more bullshit like paid exclusives and exclusive content.
 
It's cool that it works for you, however I can assure you it definitely doesn't work well for everyone. People are not whining because it worked so well they just needed to go online and trash it.

No, they are just going online to trash it because that is what they do. Sorry but, your friend is either wrong on straight up lying, voice control does not pick up voices from the TV and activate. (Probably just wrong though.) Yeah, I agree, the cool stuff keeps being taken away mostly because of the whiners.

Think Back to the Future Part II. No hover cars, no hover boards, little to no voice control and stagnating or slowing of technological progress. Yes, mostly because of whiners. (Not everything of course, but mostly yes.)
 
Lol, its luck that sony made a smaller console that has the psu built in while ms made another vcr with an external psu. Not better engineering, but luck! Ha!

Engineering. :rolleyes: LOL From what I understand, the system is noisy and gets hot well the Xbox one is quiet and does not get hot. Sorry, I will take a quiet system any day of the week.
 
Consoles were originally made specifically for gaming. I'm not sure when we decided it's time to add all this useless crap on top. The most frustrating part though is that there are almost zero good offline coop games anymore. That was what always set consoles apart from PC's for me, but that seems to be gone now. Sorry, kind of an off-topic rant there, but that shit really bothers me with the coop.

I personally could never stand that split screen coop crap that was pushed. I could barely see what was going on and even then, you could never follow which part was yours a lot of times. Now, doing a LAN with consoles, that I could get behind.
 
You're reaching

No, he is correct. It makes sense that something that produces large amount of heat in a small confined space is going to have issue sooner rather than later. Unless, of course, you enjoy loud fan noise which I do not.
 
Engineering. :rolleyes: LOL From what I understand, the system is noisy and gets hot well the Xbox one is quiet and does not get hot. Sorry, I will take a quiet system any day of the week.

It's not THAT loud. People make it out to seem like it sounds like the launch 360 or the Super Slim PS3. It isn't exactly silent but having used it watch movies, play games, what digital content, etc both with and without headphones it's not something I've ever really made note of. I can't comment on how hot it gets though, never cared enough to check that.

PS: There is a multi-quote feature you don't need to make four separate posts responding to people.
 
It's not THAT loud. People make it out to seem like it sounds like the launch 360 or the Super Slim PS3. It isn't exactly silent but having used it watch movies, play games, what digital content, etc both with and without headphones it's not something I've ever really made note of. I can't comment on how hot it gets though, never cared enough to check that.

PS: There is a multi-quote feature you don't need to make four separate posts responding to people.

Cool, thanks for the info about the noise. :) Eh, I have yet to figure that multi quote thing out yet obviously. :D
 
I would have preferred they made it larger so it would be silent like the "VCR "
The "VCR " runs all day silently while the other makes noise when you load disks and hums for a bit then long gaming sessions make the back vents quite audible.
I bought 3 year warranties on both I'm pretty sure which one ill need and I doubt it'll be the "VCR " having everything crammed in a little container isn't always a good thing.

Engineering. :rolleyes: LOL From what I understand, the system is noisy and gets hot well the Xbox one is quiet and does not get hot. Sorry, I will take a quiet system any day of the week.
xbox_vs_ps4_size_10.jpg


Yes better engineered. Sorry the Japanese didn't think about the typical fat ass hording American who probably has their ps4 in a tight space. :D
 
I gotta admit, I thought the PS4 was the better looking console, but after seeing the Xbone and PS4 side by side like that - I am starting to prefer the Xbone aesthetic.

Though the Xbone doesn't wobble nearly as well as a PS4.
 
It is extremely easy to tell the real level of knowledge people have on these boards. The users im talking about ONLY post in the console gaming section, and ONLY do so in one manner. One other user is just looking for a way to say how horrible of a company microsoft is in every single related thread, including trying to defend how fantastic SteamOS is going to be and like its the second coming of Christ and Microsoft is soooo worried about it.

Its easy to tell based on the content of the posts that these people have absolutely 0 technical knowledge, have absolutely 0 real marketing experience, and are just self-proclaimed know it alls based off of reading boards like this.

Notice how these posters seem to think everything sony does is absolutely brilliant without acknowledging the fact that the company will be absolutely lucky to exist in 5 years. Every segmant of Sony is operating at a loss, including the PS side.

They also speak as though the PS4 is some brilliant feet of engineering and marketing when it reality 100% of its advantage is due to luck. Initial marketing had the PS4 needing to have GDDR5 ram with no specification on its amount. Initial design documents show it as having 4 GBs. The only reason the move to 8 was made was due to the price of memory dropping to a level that they could increase it.

Microsofts requirement on the other hand was specific about the amount not the type. And because of initial costs the slower memory was chosen. Sony was lucky to have fallen into the advantage they now have, it was not engineering or marketing brilliance.

10% extra power isnt going to allow it to suddenly catch up in performance.

You can screenshot this post.
 
No, he is correct. It makes sense that something that produces large amount of heat in a small confined space is going to have issue sooner rather than later. Unless, of course, you enjoy loud fan noise which I do not.

Sure it makes sense if it isn't properly engineered. There have been tons of teardowns now and nothing screams major issue. The solder used in early 360 production was known almost immediately.

If it's too loud for you I'd suggest turning the TV volume past 5 out of 100.

The only thing annoying about PS4 is the wobble and why they did that I have no idea. It's not much but damn c'mon lol they should have done something about that.
 
Since we are talking about Xbox one I'll leave this here

955F6B2C-6743-46BB-BCB4-4890B5C33B31.jpg

Only in the Beta, right? When in June is the official release please? Or, how can I get in the beta since I am not playing online games anyways? Will all my digital, disc games and Netflix still run?
 
Only in the Beta, right? When in June is the official release please? Or, how can I get in the beta since I am not playing online games anyways? Will all my digital, disc games and Netflix still run?

My "guess" is since its a June update and we have been getting new builds like crazy lately their gonna drop this all the day of the E3 presser. Same day the 399 console is in stores.

Everything work fine in the beta my son isn't in it with his and we still play against each other everything works normal it isn't like the 360 betas
 
My "guess" is since its a June update and we have been getting new builds like crazy lately their gonna drop this all the day of the E3 presser. Same day the 399 console is in stores.

Everything work fine in the beta my son isn't in it with his and we still play against each other everything works normal it isn't like the 360 betas

I am no longer patient. (Ok, I never was. :D ) Any beta invites left or will I just have to wait like the regular folks? :confused:
 
Back
Top