Xbox One Wireless Adapter mini review.

qbanb8582

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 15, 2006
Messages
2,063
I just got the recently got the Xbox One wireless adapter thought I would share a little bit just in case anyone cares. I'm coming from use the xbox 360 wireless adapter. So far I'm really liking it. I would've like if it there was chinese knock offs that were $8, but I don't find $25 too outrageous.

I like that doesn't have wires, I'm able to put in the front of my HTPC on a 90 degree adapter and it looks clean. It does come with a short USB extension cable if needed.

Biggest thing I like is that you can turn off the controller. The only way I knew how to turn off the Xbox 360 controller when connected to a PC was to remove the batteries. With the Xbox One controller if you hold the home buttons for 10 seconds the controller will shut off.

One negative thing so far and I is you can't hit the home button and it bring up the little screen that shows you the battery meter. Not a deal breaker for me, but something I did use from time to time with the 360 controller.

This works better with emulators for me when it comes to multiple controllers. I found with the Xbox 360 with a single controller on it would assign it as Joystick #1. Which works just fine if you only use one controller and you map the buttons to it. The issue becomes when you want to switch between a single controller to multiple controllers. So some an emulator like SNES9X for example. When you have multiple controllers Player 1 is assigned #0 and Player 2 is assigned #1 So if mapped your controls for two players and keep that way your controls will work just fine. But lets say for example you want to play single player and you only have one controller on. That single controller is now Joystick #1 and the controls in the emulator for Joystick #1 are for Player 2. So you have to either remap the controls for Player 1 to that controller or turn on another controller. Which can be irritating.

With the Xbox one controller #1 appears to always be assigned to joystick #0 and controller #2 is assigned to joystick #1. So switching between single player and multiplayer is no longer an issue which I awesome to me.
 
I kinda miss being able to swap into Steam big picture mode using the 360 controller's home button.
I never installed the controller software, so that's what it was set to do by default.
The Xbox One controller tries to bring up the Win10 Game Bar, which I have no real use for. If I disable it, it still doesn't seem to swap to big picture mode.
 
I just got the recently got the Xbox One wireless adapter thought I would share a little bit just in case anyone cares. I'm coming from use the xbox 360 wireless adapter. So far I'm really liking it. I would've like if it there was chinese knock offs that were $8, but I don't find $25 too outrageous.

I like that doesn't have wires, I'm able to put in the front of my HTPC on a 90 degree adapter and it looks clean. It does come with a short USB extension cable if needed.

Biggest thing I like is that you can turn off the controller. The only way I knew how to turn off the Xbox 360 controller when connected to a PC was to remove the batteries. With the Xbox One controller if you hold the home buttons for 10 seconds the controller will shut off.

One negative thing so far and I is you can't hit the home button and it bring up the little screen that shows you the battery meter. Not a deal breaker for me, but something I did use from time to time with the 360 controller.

This works better with emulators for me when it comes to multiple controllers. I found with the Xbox 360 with a single controller on it would assign it as Joystick #1. Which works just fine if you only use one controller and you map the buttons to it. The issue becomes when you want to switch between a single controller to multiple controllers. So some an emulator like SNES9X for example. When you have multiple controllers Player 1 is assigned #0 and Player 2 is assigned #1 So if mapped your controls for two players and keep that way your controls will work just fine. But lets say for example you want to play single player and you only have one controller on. That single controller is now Joystick #1 and the controls in the emulator for Joystick #1 are for Player 2. So you have to either remap the controls for Player 1 to that controller or turn on another controller. Which can be irritating.

With the Xbox one controller #1 appears to always be assigned to joystick #0 and controller #2 is assigned to joystick #1. So switching between single player and multiplayer is no longer an issue which I awesome to me.
Thanks for the heads up on the emulators and joystick assignments. I'm about to setup something similar on my HTPC using the XBox 360 controllers I've got sitting around. This might convince me to upgrade to XBone controller setup instead.

Which OS is this happening on?
 
Thanks for the heads up on the emulators and joystick assignments. I'm about to setup something similar on my HTPC using the XBox 360 controllers I've got sitting around. This might convince me to upgrade to XBone controller setup instead.

Which OS is this happening on?

Windows 8.1
 
I've read via few forums that this works:
(Windows 10 build 10162):
1. Open the Xbox app
2. Go to settings (gear on the lower left)
3. Select Game DVR (on the top)
4. Turn Game DVR off

I dont need big picture so I havent tried it.

I've got the adapter and love it. Like qbanb8582 it looks so clean just being a usb dongle. works great with fighting games like MKX(boo on no XL) and Ill test it with street fighter V tomorrow when I buy it. I've put my 360 controllers on my other pc so I can play games like borderlands with my wife when we feel like playing coop. One of the few things that I would ever give a 10 out of 10 for. Of only sony would just create a controller dongle for windows to make my life even better. As much as I like the XBone controller the PS4ock feels better in my hands.
 
My xbox one elite turns off pretty quickly when not in use with the wireless adapter. I never bother to turn the controller off for that reason. The battery meter would be nice but I always have a spare ready
 
Back
Top