Xbox One: The Last Microsoft Console?

When XBOX started MS was actually doing good things. For the first time ever windows users had real built in default support for controllers. The problem was later around windows 7 they started to drop support and ignore gaming to try and push XBOX. That was the mistake you are talking about and I agree was a bad one.

But it still doesn't change the fact that XBOX put windows front and center in millions of US and world wide households. So far windows itself has hardly helped MS do anything in the mobile market. XBOX has a chance if played right. The point you seem to be ignoring is how is windows going to get MS into mobile? MS cannot survive unless they take a huge down size which shareholders will never allow in the desktop only market. Even if they tried likely Google would beat them there by using mobile to push back.

Also you keep crying about RROD but it really hasn't been that bad, if RROD was so bad why is MS still able to outsell the PS3 in the US market? Apparently people didn't really care about it that much, probably because MS extended their warranties.
RROD was fixed so long ago, do people still bitch about sony being hacked and all their user data compromised, or how many bricked ps3 consoles sony is responsible for because they don't know how to code a patch? Microsoft paid though the nose to help xbox360 users with RROD problems it was bad from a business standpoint more so then a consumer standpoint.

Your first point is why they are better off getting rid of the Xbox. The Xbox doesn't benefit one of their big money makers, Windows...

If MS drops the Xbox they'll still try to plant something in our living rooms. I think the farthest from the Xbox console they might go is something along the lines of another crack at Windows Media Center, basically a "Windows Xbox Edition." Add a few features, toss in software support for XBone games, and make OEMs adhere to strict hardware standards. Maybe come up with some sort of tiered performance specification system so instead of trying to figure out if a GeForce 480, 550, or 610 meets a "Geforce 550Ti or better" system requirement people could just check if they had an "Xbox level 2" or better system.

The problem is the xbox is the only thing they tried that worked. So why would they give that up? Only reason would just be to make share holders happy in the short term.

The problem is the xbox is the only thing they tried that worked. So why would they give that up? Only reason would just be to make share holders happy in the short term.

What worked for them? What has Xbox brought to the table that positively affects Microsoft?

I can only think of two things;

- Halo (toys, games, movies, clothes, Mountain Dew, etc.)
- Live (much less relevant now with PSN+, especially with PS4 incoming)

Kinect really has not done anything for them other than boost American sales of the console for a year or so.

Umm how many media center machines made it into households world wide? What about media server?
Over 70 million XBOXs did.
Over 20 million kinects.
XBOX a household name anyone knows.

Go ahead look around you and ask laymen in the mall about home server or media center see how many of them even have a clue what it is.

Some of you guys have a completely distorted view of reality. XBOX is the first mass market living room success for MS. It put them in the living room and has even been the preferred way to do media extenders for many here. If you have a great idea for a more successful product they can put in everyones living room go head, I think you should be the next CEO of MS.

What worked for them? What has Xbox brought to the table that positively affects Microsoft?

I can only think of two things;

- Halo (toys, games, movies, clothes, Mountain Dew, etc.)
- Live (much less relevant now with PSN+, especially with PS4 incoming)

Kinect really has not done anything for them other than boost American sales of the console for a year or so.
You're joking,right? As much as I hate defending MS,because I feel they stabbed PC gamers in the back,even I can't deny the Xbox's success in making them a major player in the lucrative console videogame market. It goes way beyond just Halo.

You do understand that financially speaking Xbox has run up a huge multi-billion dollar tab since the first one back in 2000, from an ROI perspective its still operating at a huge loss and has not made the money back. I doubt that's very "funny" to shareholders.

Yeah and that is not a problem for MS, they knew they would lose a good amount of money on it. MS never announced any timeline for it to be profitable.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're joking,right? As much as I hate defending MS,because I feel they stabbed PC gamers in the back,even I can't deny the Xbox's success in making them a major player in the lucrative console videogame market. It goes way beyond just Halo.

Specifically? Sony has benefits outside of gaming, that go back to other aspects of their business. That's what I'm looking for, because Live for the PC bombed.

Rudy mentioned media which imo is irrelevant considering all the alternatives. It's a decent media center extender (I used mine for that alone) but how many people utilize that specific tie in function?

When XBOX started MS was actually doing good things. For the first time ever windows users had real built in default support for controllers. The problem was later around windows 7 they started to drop support and ignore gaming to try and push XBOX. That was the mistake you are talking about and I agree was a bad one.

But it still doesn't change the fact that XBOX put windows front and center in millions of US and world wide households. So far windows itself has hardly helped MS do anything in the mobile market. XBOX has a chance if played right. The point you seem to be ignoring is how is windows going to get MS into mobile? MS cannot survive unless they take a huge down size which shareholders will never allow in the desktop only market. Even if they tried likely Google would beat them there by using mobile to push back.

Also you keep crying about RROD but it really hasn't been that bad, if RROD was so bad why is MS still able to outsell the PS3 in the US market? Apparently people didn't really care about it that much, probably because MS extended their warranties.

RROD keeps being brought up because of the financial cost of it, not the consumer impact. Extending those warranties cost MS a cool BILLION dollars.

whats funny is this round of consoles is closer to the PC then ever be for

I've been saying that since the original Xbox came out. All MS did was trim down a PC slap it in a console form and include a controller.

I can't wait till the console makers start including the option to "upgrade" your CPU/GPU/Whatever. Then we'll get the aftermarket parts...

RROD keeps being brought up because of the financial cost of it, not the consumer impact. Extending those warranties cost MS a cool BILLION dollars.

So what it was an issue that was resolved. Tons of companies lose money on a mistake does that means its time to close down shop? If ford has a huge recall on a Truck to do they just get up and exit the truck market? lol?

What matters is the how the product positions your company. Think about car companies, many of them make high end sports cars that lose money for the company, like the Viper, XLR, Ford GT etc... Why do they make it? It has some value that is greater than simply being profitable. Look at GM they hardly make anything on intro level cars, so by the logic of some people here they should just close down shop and switch to only making Cadillac's.

Xbox division wont go away becuase it's one of the few places of recurring revenue and if they get more people to buy into xbox live gold this round of xbox then they can start to have difference. Plus it's diversification and one of the few parts of microsoft people don't bash because it's cool to bash micro$oft but rather because they are ps4 fanboys so it has value in brand name.

They want the type of money Apple has been making because they sell their own hardware. The problem is each device, except the xbox, has failed tremendously.

Not true at all, ms only makes hardware when the OEMs have failed to do so with the software MS gives them.

They want the type of money Apple has been making because they sell their own hardware. The problem is each device, except the xbox, has failed tremendously.

Sorry dude, can't hear you - my Zune was cranked too loud. Just ordered a surface tablet, should be here next week.

Sent from my Windows Phone

To date the Xbox Franchise has yet to turn a profit; period, don't link me to the statements from Microsoft saying they did, I'll point you to the restatements when trade agencies were unable to reconcile Microsoft's published figures.

Did you just say that all of Microsoft's Entertainment and Devices Division earning statements showing profits were faked? Seriously? :rolleyes:

Sorry dude, can't hear you - my Zune was cranked too loud. Just ordered a surface tablet, should be here next week.

Sent from my Windows Phone

What's a Zune??? Never heard of a surface tablet is that an iPad?

Since when were there Windows phones.....??:confused::confused::confused:

Overall it's been a money loser.
asfd3221125511352.jpg

The earlier years of the Xbox which are not shown on that chart were all losses in the billion dollar range.

Haven't consoles,as a rule,always taken a hit in sales of the actual hardware? The real money is made in game sales and licensing.

I wonder if another 3DO type device might come along, this time successful? 3DO was originally meant to be the aforementioned general entertainment device for the living room.

I wonder if another 3DO type device might come along, this time successful? 3DO was originally meant to be the aforementioned general entertainment device for the living room.

Not likely, no device that has too many players seems to make it in the console game, none of those players are willing to take huge losses that one of their competitors might capitalize on. The 3DO might be similar to steam box. But as we have seen no one has jumped on that.

Steam box isnt mainstream advertised.
That would help.

That's the thing who is going to advertise to the main stream? Is valve going to front millions to advertise so dell or someone else can make hardware profits? Or would dell do it? nope a big part of the reason consoles have to be made by 1 player is because that players needs to be willing to do what it takes to win at all costs. In modern times that means taking a loss on the system hardware at first in most cases, and pumping large amounts into advertising.

Steam should be pushing their concept, they will win big time if it succeeds.
Their advertising would encourage hardware vendors, but of course wouldnt happen unless some form of contract was agreed upon.

Overall it's been a money loser.
asfd3221125511352.jpg

The earlier years of the Xbox which are not shown on that chart were all losses in the billion dollar range.

Yet the LAST 5 have been profitable. So I fail to see the point. If anyone needs to bail on consoles it should be Sony, who is just barely hanging on to life as a company.

It's lost money overall. Now a new generation has started, and the cycle begins again. They'll lose money this year.

Ya think. The money they poured into Kinect 2 was in the hundreds of millions. They're subsidizing the Kinect unit with the anticipation they can make it up in revolutionizing biofeedback based dynamic advertising by bringing advertisers one step closer to consumers.

What they didn't count on was how strong Sony's offering was going to be this generation in not just hardware but PR and perception, then you add that PC gaming has been having a quiet renaissance thanks to Steam sales and people are suddenly interested in low cost gaming PC's again.

Its going to be a few years before the XBONE breaks even let's leave it at that. Maybe never.

Back