Xbox One Supports External Storage

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you are worried about the Xbox One's non-removable 500GB hard drive, you shouldn't be. Microsoft told Engadget that external drives are supported and can be used for everything the internal drive is used for.

Hard drives in the Xbox One are non-user-serviceable, but Penello confirmed that the USB 3.0 port is there for external storage, which can be used for everything the internal storage can be used for. That includes game installs and downloads. So, don't fret: adding storage will be just as easy as ever.

Non removable? I can fix that.

screwdriver_1.jpg

I'm sure some will find a way to remove the (probably) 5400 hard drive to put in a fast SSD.

This pretty much confirms the Xbox locking game installs to one console without a fee or online transfer process. Pro and con.

I can see the directions on how to swap the drive being out there on day one. Since this is essentially an x86 computer running Windows 8, the drive swap should be simple provided MS doesn't intentionally do something to prevent it. (If they use secure boot with encryption it might not be as easy to swap)

The main thing to keep in mind with the Xbox One versus say a PS3 is this should have a sata 3 controller for the drive and should benefit greatly from the swap. (Last I checked it didn't do much for the PS3)

Non-user serviceable my ass..You aren't Apple Microsoft..quit trying.

I wish Microsoft made this a little more mod friendly and kept the primary hardware alone and left out the drive for a user based solution. They would sell tons more, but it will be good to see the modding community hit this thing with all they've got.

I wish Microsoft made this a little more mod friendly and kept the primary hardware alone and left out the drive for a user based solution. They would sell tons more, but it will be good to see the modding community hit this thing with all they've got.

No they wouldn't sell tons more just because of that. COD/madden gundudebro's don't care about that, they just want to turn on, take a few sucks of mountain dew and commence raging

This thing is going to be a modding gold mine me thinks.

No they wouldn't sell tons more just because of that. COD/madden gundudebro's don't care about that, they just want to turn on, take a few sucks of mountain dew and commence raging

Sadly this. My friend who purchased Alienware a few years ago, doesn't even touch PC games anymore. For him, he knows he can come in press a button, play, and not worry about updates/drivers/whatever!

Replacing the drive, probably easy

Make it work because of encryption... that will take a while...

Meanwhile many of us in the world could care less about consoles and use a computer to do more than play video games.

I can see the directions on how to swap the drive being out there on day one. Since this is essentially an x86 computer running Windows 8, the drive swap should be simple provided MS doesn't intentionally do something to prevent it. (If they use secure boot with encryption it might not be as easy to swap)

Clone the drive in raw mode. Done.

External Storage.. announcing that a device supports external storage is like announcing a game console plays games. Big FN Woop! I'm sick of these big company's going all Market Speak on us these days. Everything's just BS Market Squeek! 1)IT should support it as a given. THis is 2013.. my fkn phone supports it! 2)Tell me about the stuff that matters not the fluff your marketting "team" thinks they can fool all the kiddies with.

As another [H]er said... perhaps i'm geting to old for this!

Or perhaps i'm just getting more advanced then the hardware/software these "companies" keep trying to pass off as "ground breaking". meh

PS. oops forgot... as if i need another damn device sitting next to a console in unlimited space we all seem to have!

PPS. Perhaps Sony will do the right thing like they did with the PS3. This'll be interesting if nothing else!

It'll be easier to plug in an external SDD to obtain a performance boost rather than crack open the console. Even if the USB3 interface bottlenecks throughput it will still be faster than the internal HDD.

Does anyone know the SATA spec of the Xbox One?

It'll be easier to plug in an external SDD to obtain a performance boost rather than crack open the console. Even if the USB3 interface bottlenecks throughput it will still be faster than the internal HDD.

Does anyone know the SATA spec of the Xbox One?
An external usb ssd will not be faster than the internal. If it had been esata that would be a possible argument.

My guess is that 500GB drive is one of those hybrid laptop drives with the 8GB SSD cache.

Yeah, but will they require Microsoft licensed drives that make them cost twice as much?

It is USB 3.0 not 2.

And I have never seen a single instance where USB 3 could outperform SATA for sustained read/write. Don't get me wrong, it is great for flash drives but to tout it as a superior feature to either esata or being able to replace the drive is laughable. Really it isn't even like the Design is strange and should be difficult to open up. Microsoft is just being stupid and refusing to let people access the hard drive because they want control. They got all butthurt when people refused to buy their overpriced hard drives for the 360 and just changed it themselves.

And I have never seen a single instance where USB 3 could outperform SATA for sustained read/write. Don't get me wrong, it is great for flash drives but to tout it as a superior feature to either esata or being able to replace the drive is laughable. Really it isn't even like the Design is strange and should be difficult to open up. Microsoft is just being stupid and refusing to let people access the hard drive because they want control. They got all butthurt when people refused to buy their overpriced hard drives for the 360 and just changed it themselves.

I wasn't saying that USB 3.0 would outperform SATA. What I was saying that it's possible that an external SSD connected via USB 3.0 could perform faster than the internally connected SATA mechanical HDD.

That being the case, I see a lot of people opting to connect an external SSD for a speed boost and few people swapping out the internal HDD for a SATA connected SSD for the extra performance.

I wasn't saying that USB 3.0 would outperform SATA. What I was saying that it's possible that an external SSD connected via USB 3.0 could perform faster than the internally connected SATA mechanical HDD.

That being the case, I see a lot of people opting to connect an external SSD for a speed boost and few people swapping out the internal HDD for a SATA connected SSD for the extra performance.

Except There is utterly no benefit to connecting a SSD to usb. You may as well connected a 7200rpm drive as that at best is the performance you are going to get. The only possible way that an external drive will outperform the internal is if MS puts an exceptionally shitty 4200rpm or 5400rpm drive in it.

Bullshit. What about the whopping 4 people who refused to buy the PS3 when Sony remove alternate OS!

:D

yep

This thing is going to be a modding gold mine me thinks.

I hope so. If they can mod the firmware to allow an install of various emulators, I'd buy two. :D I could care less about using 'backup' games (who am I kidding - pirated games).

I would also throw in a new HDD, as I did with my current Xbox 360 and my former Xbox (Xbox 1, old Xbox, First Xbox?). So easy to do.

Bullshit. What about the whopping 4 people who refused to buy the PS3 when Sony remove alternate OS!

While it wasn't the only deciding factor to not buy a PS3, it was one thing that I wanted and when it was gone, I was less likely to buy one. Luckily, I was given a free one from my uncle when his Blu-ray drive went tits up. After replacing that and getting everything working again, I was good to go. He doesn't have an Internet connection, so it's a BC, dual OS, first week of launch, fatty PS3. All for the $25 cost of a BR laser.

If I wanted it to just play games, I'd care less about the alt. OS thing. But, it was a good thing to have, honestly.

This thing was designed by dumb asses what happend the J-allard and the old xbox team you know back when xbox was cool?
please bring back petter moore/ j allard xbox has been going to hell since he left.

I mean really that huge fucking case and they can make a removeable drive port in it like the other xbox? REALLY!!>><<>>>?????

20130514-XBOX-ONE-TEARDOWN-014-660x440.jpg

Look at all the fucking wasted space they could have added a hotswap drive bay or something in the case.

This thing was designed by dumb asses what happend the J-allard and the old xbox team you know back when xbox was cool?
please bring back petter moore/ j allard xbox has been going to hell since he left.

I mean really that huge fucking case and they can make a removeable drive port in it like the other xbox? REALLY!!>><<>>>?????
You mean bring back the team that made a unit that ended up costing them billions?

I liked the original xbox too, but that isn't happening again.

Two points, 1 TB drives are "the" size. Especially without an internal uograde option.
Second, SSDs will be the "future."

Except There is utterly no benefit to connecting a SSD to usb. You may as well connected a 7200rpm drive as that at best is the performance you are going to get. The only possible way that an external drive will outperform the internal is if MS puts an exceptionally shitty 4200rpm or 5400rpm drive in it.

After reviewing some throughput benches of USB 3.0, I see now that it will provide an SSD no speed increase over an HDD.

So much for that idea.

Hmmmm.... I think somebody needs to start thinking of plugging in a NAS into the XboxOne

Back