Xbox One Sees 81 Percent Growth Over Last Year

HardOCP News

[H] News
Some good news for Microsoft's Xbox One. I firmly believe that, had the Xbox One launched at the same price as the PS4, it wouldn't be as far behind as it is today.

The strength of the greatest games lineup in Xbox history drove record Xbox Live usage for October and made Xbox One the best-selling console in the U.S. with 81 percent growth compared to October 2014. We saw amazing fan excitement, commercial success and critical acclaim in October for 'Halo 5: Guardians,' which was the best-selling game in the U.S., and other Xbox One titles launching earlier this fall, including 'Forza Motorsport 6,' 'Gears of War: Ultimate Edition,' Harmonix's 'Rock Band 4' and Ubisoft's 'Assassin's Creed Syndicate.'

One month won out of many.

Interesting to see that Halo still has legs as a system seller, but I'd prefer if they just brought their exclusives to PC.

I don't believe this press release says you should cash in your PS4. Just that the Xbox One is having a good October. Which it is.

no, Halo 5 is having a good October. Because Halo kids.

I love my Xbox One. Very great machine that does a lot and does it well. Gaming, media playback is excellent.

I'm getting a PS4 for Christmas so I can play those exclusive games (Uncharted, Last of Us Remastered, etc.).

good. more noobs to pwn.

Hey, I am no noob but, I do not game as well as I did 10 years ago. :D I have had my XBox One since January, 2014 but wish I had bought the Day One version at that time. However, I also purchased a R9 290 in November 2013 so, I could not afford both at the same time.

And I bet the trend will continue. I really didn't even play my xbone that often until the last 7 months. Now it has turned into my go to machine. Microsoft has a pretty strong record of improving their gaming platforms over time, and with the windows 10 update now out on it, I bet the platform will grow even more.

no, Halo 5 is having a good October. Because Halo kids.
Halo 5 kids? Halo came out in 2001, so most fans of the Halo series are now in their 20s and 30s. They may be younger than you, but I don't think they are kids anymore.

Estimates have it around 304k consoles sold through to customers in Oct, and the PS4 at 274k. Considering that the Xbox's BIGGEST franchise netted it a measly 30k over it's competition, I would say that's pretty sad! That deficit is made up by ONE WEEK of sales in Japan...add in the EU sales, and worldwide the Bone is getting slaughtered.

November and December the Xbox is going to get FLATTENED though! COD + Star Wars (Battlefront AND Disney Infinity!) means that Xbox One is DONE for the holidays.

As my internet speeds in the day now often drop to 25Kbps I'm more glad than ever I didn't get an Xbox 1. Glad so many people can get good internet. My PS4 just gathers dust though, guess I'm just not the console type. Of course when the desktop dies out I guess I'll have to get with the console thing ;).

I thought the entire POINT of having a console was to have a dedicated gaming machine without the extra overhead of a full computer OS?

I seem to remember that we did just fine without MS in the console business...and I think we will be just fine once they leave.

Some good news for Microsoft's Xbox One. I firmly believe that, had the Xbox One launched at the same price as the PS4, it wouldn't be as far behind as it is today.

The strength of the greatest games lineup in Xbox history drove record Xbox Live usage for October and made Xbox One the best-selling console in the U.S. with 81 percent growth compared to October 2014. We saw amazing fan excitement, commercial success and critical acclaim in October for 'Halo 5: Guardians,' which was the best-selling game in the U.S., and other Xbox One titles launching earlier this fall, including 'Forza Motorsport 6,' 'Gears of War: Ultimate Edition,' Harmonix's 'Rock Band 4' and Ubisoft's 'Assassin's Creed Syndicate.'

I firmly believe that if they launched at the same price as the PS4, didn't try to shove Kinect down everyone's throats, had a better GPU and better RAM, and didn't try to kill off used games they wouldn't be as far behind as it is today.

There, fixed it for ya!

I firmly believe that if they launched at the same price as the PS4, didn't try to shove Kinect down everyone's throats, had a better GPU and better RAM, and didn't try to kill off used games they wouldn't be as far behind as it is today.

There, fixed it for ya!

That is just a generic statement of a product. "If they gave you more for less it would sell better".

^this. A lot don't realize that a winner by a landslide won't help the industry much.

Generally fanboys of anything don't see, and usually don't want to see, the bigger picture.

Without the pounding Microsoft is getting from Sony, I doubt we would be seeing the level of developement and integration with PC's we are seeing coming from Microsoft.

Halo 5 kids? Halo came out in 2001, so most fans of the Halo series are now in their 20s and 30s. They may be younger than you, but I don't think they are kids anymore.

Its not the original fans that are keeping this franchise afloat. Its kids. Have you actually played it? Jump on multiplayer and you'll have high-pitched mickey mouse voices yelling in your ear constantly. My 9 and 12 year old nephews have not shut up about Halo 5 since it came out. Anecdotal, but there's a reason Halo 5 advertisements appeared on the side of happy meal bags.

As my internet speeds in the day now often drop to 25Kbps I'm more glad than ever I didn't get an Xbox 1. Glad so many people can get good internet. My PS4 just gathers dust though, guess I'm just not the console type. Of course when the desktop dies out I guess I'll have to get with the console thing ;).
Neither console requires the internet anymore. Is your desktop ready to give out? Because you are in the right place to get few suggestions on how to keep it going. ;)

Its not the original fans that are keeping this franchise afloat. Its kids. Have you actually played it? Jump on multiplayer and you'll have high-pitched mickey mouse voices yelling in your ear constantly. My 9 and 12 year old nephews have not shut up about Halo 5 since it came out. Anecdotal, but there's a reason Halo 5 advertisements appeared on the side of happy meal bags.
As a 30 something adult that plays with all my 30 something friends, I can tell you that while kids do play video games, they are not the sole audience for Halo 5.

Same can be said for Counter Strike and *insert any other popular game here*. In the end of the day it sells the Xbox platform which is all MS really cares about. Given the inferior hardware the One needs all the popular games it can take.

Estimates have it around 304k consoles sold through to customers in Oct, and the PS4 at 274k. Considering that the Xbox's BIGGEST franchise netted it a measly 30k over it's competition, I would say that's pretty sad! That deficit is made up by ONE WEEK of sales in Japan...add in the EU sales, and worldwide the Bone is getting slaughtered.

November and December the Xbox is going to get FLATTENED though! COD + Star Wars (Battlefront AND Disney Infinity!) means that Xbox One is DONE for the holidays.

Considering most of those games are going to be on Xbox too, I don't see it getting flattened. Battlefront, while looking visually amazing, looks to be a meh game. Infinity is on all platforms and, right now, Xbox has the best holiday deals out. Target has a 500GB, gears of war with $60 gift card for 299.99. That easily blows away any PS4 deal out there right now. I see more parents picking up the Xbox for their kids in that situation.

You can tell it is less than PS4 still or the headline would have been how many they have sold rather than have many more in percent.

It is still selling well though. Both consoles are selling well. Maybe because there is almost no competition from Nintendo.

Awww shucks guys, Old Man DPI is scolding us for being on his lawn again! :p

Console (and PC) kids are the worst, but putting a stereotype on a games entire audience like that? Now wise, sir ;)

Neither console requires the internet anymore. Is your desktop ready to give out? Because you are in the right place to get few suggestions on how to keep it going. ;)

Well when I bought the PS4 last year, it seemed much less reliant on an internet connection than the Xbox 1. At least everything I read seemed to indicate a good experience on it needed a good internet connection and I wasn't thrilled by the subscription fees either. I've really only found one game on the PS4 that kept my interest more than an hour (Infamous: Second Son). I also find having to keep swapping the discs really annoying but the downloads are just too big (at night I can get around 1GB/hr). I keep meaning to buy things for it but then I see the PC version cheaper or with better graphics options and no disk swaps (once registered on Steam)and well the dust accumulates.

I hope my x99/5930K/980ti will keep me happy for awhile longer ;).

I have had ny XB! for a year (won it at last years office xmas party) I bet it doesnt have 3 hours worth of gaming on it. We use the shit out of it as a media center though. Love me some NFL Redzone

I firmly believe that, had the Xbox One launched at the same price as the PS4, it wouldn't be as far behind as it is today.

No, you are wrong, the price didnt matter, what mattered was the fact that they tried to block used games, they forced the always on spy in your house called kinect and it didnt have backward compatibility.

Please, leave the MS fluffing to Ars, unless you are also getting paid by MS, like Ars does, to post crap like that.

I have had both consoles since their launch and my Xbox One has been used almost every day since I got it. The PS4 on the other hand not so much. It hasn't used for about 3 months and I think the last time I turned it on was to check to see if it had any updates. Do I game daily on the Xbox One? Nope, that is what my gaming PC is for and I only play the exclusives like Halo or Forza on it but as a true cord cutter as of last year. The Xbox has been my sole devices for streaming and TV since I said bye to cable. I have two Smart TV's and an Amazon Fire TV used in the bed room which is a nice device but the Xbox still my #1.

The Xbox may not be as powerful as the PS4 but it does have a lot more value and use than the PS4. As for the people bitch about Kinect, I actually like it. The ability to just say "Xbox On" when I walk in the door with my hands full of crap and have it come on and be ready for me or be able to tell it to pause what I am watching when I get called out of the room to deal with crap like the girlfriend screaming for me to kill a spider. Those little functions that where once novelty have become have become the standard for me.

I believe if more people would actually try out the Xbox and give a fair chance they would actually see it actually is a great device.

I have had both consoles since their launch and my Xbox One has been used almost every day since I got it. The PS4 on the other hand not so much. It hasn't used for about 3 months and I think the last time I turned it on was to check to see if it had any updates. Do I game daily on the Xbox One? Nope, that is what my gaming PC is for and I only play the exclusives like Halo or Forza on it but as a true cord cutter as of last year. The Xbox has been my sole devices for streaming and TV since I said bye to cable. I have two Smart TV's and an Amazon Fire TV used in the bed room which is a nice device but the Xbox still my #1.

The Xbox may not be as powerful as the PS4 but it does have a lot more value and use than the PS4. As for the people bitch about Kinect, I actually like it. The ability to just say "Xbox On" when I walk in the door with my hands full of crap and have it come on and be ready for me or be able to tell it to pause what I am watching when I get called out of the room to deal with crap like the girlfriend screaming for me to kill a spider. Those little functions that where once novelty have become have become the standard for me.

I believe if more people would actually try out the Xbox and give a fair chance they would actually see it actually is a great device.

Good points. I like the kinect for a voice interface, gesture just is terrible. It does sometimes think my wife is a piece of furniture but whatever, her fault lmao jk (hides).

SHe was on the phone the other day while i was playing and it triggered and started opening menus and crap, was funny but frustrating.

Yes it is deficient in comparison to the ps4, but I had such a better experience on 360 than my ps3 and ps1-2 that I did follow due to loyalty and satisfaction with the brand. In the end I am happy with my purchase and have no regrets about it. Played gears of war 3 on the xbone last nite!

I firmly believe that, had the Xbox One launched at the same price as the PS4, it wouldn't be as far behind as it is today.

Or had they not gone full ret*rd. I know that's not a PC term, but it fits.

- lower specs
- game-sharing issues
- cloud issues
- forced kinect
- kinect spying issue
- major nelson

Let's face it, they didn't just fumble the ball, they ran in the wrong direction before doing so.

Without the pounding Microsoft is getting from Sony, I doubt we would be seeing the level of developement and integration with PC's we are seeing coming from Microsoft.
You're wrong and only have to look at how the operating system of the Xbox 360 progressed over time. While Sony let the PS3 OS languish, Microsoft was aggressive with changes, both in terms of improving the UI and adding useful features. And they did this while leading in the console market outside of Japan.

Don't get me wrong. Competition is good. But the idea that Microsoft is only being aggressive because they're behind doesn't make sense given the history.

Considering most of those games are going to be on Xbox too, I don't see it getting flattened. Battlefront, while looking visually amazing, looks to be a meh game. Infinity is on all platforms and, right now, Xbox has the best holiday deals out. Target has a 500GB, gears of war with $60 gift card for 299.99. That easily blows away any PS4 deal out there right now. I see more parents picking up the Xbox for their kids in that situation.

Yeah, they are both multiplatform, but Sony has the bundles.

Uh, TECHNICALLY they don't require internet...but, yeah, they both DO require it in real world use. How many gigs was the Day 1 Halo patch? Would the game even run AT ALL without it? This is true with most games...sure, you MAY be able to run SOME titles offline, in the case of an outage...but it's pretty much a given that you will indeed NEED to be online when loading a new game.

Back