Xbox One S Teardown

HardOCP News

[H] News
I love iFixit's teardown videos because they save you the hassle of having to tear apart your brand new device just to see what is in it. At the same time, if you do feel like voiding your warranty, these teardown articles also serve as great "how-to" guides to getting into the guts of your shiny new electronic device.

Not bad. This will make a relatively cheap 4K stream/BluRay player solution. Also, that white looks sleek.

How to replace the 5.4k hdd with a shiny new SSD. Thanks iFixit!
Why not just buy an external SSD? You don't need to replace the internal one unless you want the OS to load off it. IIRC the Xbox ONE is also using SATA2, not SATA3, so USB3 is going to be faster anyway.

Its interface has been upgraded from SATA II to SATA III.

How did the Xbox One S get so much smaller? iFixit tears down to find out

Are we sure the interface on the motherboard have been upgraded? Reports on iFixit are saying the southbridge is the same as the original.

and

Tech Interview: Inside Xbox One S

Albert Penello: The motherboard of the Xbox One S was completely redesigned around the new 16nm FinFET SoC, and to fit in the downsized chassis. The core architecture of the SoC, the configuration and number of memory chips all remain the same to provide consistent performance. The custom south bridge IO chip is the same one used on all previous Xbox One consoles. Removing the dedicated Kinect port allowed us to use a smaller power supply and achieve a very clean layout of the rear panel with no double-stacked connectors required.

Are we sure the interface on the motherboard have been upgraded? Reports on iFixit are saying the southbridge is the same as the original.

and

Tech Interview: Inside Xbox One S

The Southbridge chip could be SATAIII capable in the XB1 but for whatever reason Microsoft gimped it to SATAII. I have seen this a lot on custom industrial hardware systems where the physical chip's hardware supports one thing but the developer gimped it to something slower for no reason at all. :shifty:

If this is really true, then the XB1 S would get a big boost moving to an SSD for the boot drive.

The Southbridge chip could be SATAIII capable in the XB1 but for whatever reason Microsoft gimped it to SATAII. I have seen this a lot on custom industrial hardware systems where the physical chip's hardware supports one thing but the developer gimped it to something slower for no reason at all. :shifty:

If this is really true, then the XB1 S would get a big boost moving to an SSD for the boot drive.

More likely is they are buying chips that do not test fully capable of sataIII but still qualify for sataII. Lots of companies do this to buy at lower costs for something they may not need. Instead of testing pass/fail they get sorted into groups and you can sell your lower quality stuff at the right price or refurb it or destroy it. And not all purchases would be of this lower quality, but they are willing to accept it so many will be full sataIII capable.

Already being reported that HDR functionality is not yet working on the XB1s. Supposedly that'll be fixed via a software update from M$. Then you still have to wait for Amazon and Netflix to update their apps to make use of it.

They previously labelled them as SATA 2 ports in the chipset diagram:

GMwBZH8.png

I really hope Sony goes with the same open air design MS has went with. It allows for a much more sophisticated cooling solution. Maybe the PS4S and Neo go that route.

This design is nice, the power supply is pretty small, I thought it would be on par with PS4s. The USB on the front and back is a god send.

Not bad. This will make a relatively cheap 4K stream/BluRay player solution. Also, that white looks sleek.

I really want to replace my old xbox and my samsung k8500 with this. Unfortunately, the k8500 has dual hdmi output, so I can keep my old receiver. I can't justify a $500 receiver on top of a $300 4k Xbox media center.

I really wish optical supported 7.1 output.

I really want to replace my old xbox and my samsung k8500 with this. Unfortunately, the k8500 has dual hdmi output, so I can keep my old receiver. I can't justify a $500 receiver on top of a $300 4k Xbox media center.

I really wish optical supported 7.1 output.
Aren't there $300 receivers that support HDR?

There are, but unless I want to downgrade my audio, I'm looking at 509.
When you say downgrade your audio, what do you mean? Are you talking about physical speaker hookups, or something else?

Back