Xbox One june update info external storage

HisSvt76

2[H]4U
There was a live webcast for Xbox ambassadors tonight.

Most info was just a recap of what to expect in the June update.

Biggest thing answered was about external storage.

External drives must be USB 3.0 powered or USB powered.
Two external drives are supported at the same time plus the internal drive with a maximum of 32.5TB max!

Data can be moved between any of the drives and used on any Xbox one once you sign in on that Xbox.

Video of update in case you haven't seen it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rITT7GaTtP0

Last edited:
Great, now I can have an external drive hanging off my xbox one.

It you are in the beta firmware program you should get the update early next week. I can not wait. Microsoft handed Sony it's own ass in adopting this early on instead of forcing the user to do a messy internal reinstall and since the PS4 maximum HDD size is 2TB for now , leap frogged them in the oncoming tide of massively sized game installs. I can't believe Sony has zero plans to support external storage solutions , weird. My PS4 actually has 40GB's of storage left and upgrading means rue downloading almost 350GB's worth of games...

At first I was quite critical of MS not allowing upgrades of the internal HDD on the Xbone, but the way they're allowing the external storage to be swappable to other consoles (not to mention the sheer size of supported storage space) - well, it's a lot better than what I had expected.

I'm glad to see them finally implement this feature, even though I don't think I'll need the feature for quite some time.

Yep. My family room aesthetic will finally be complete.

And we'll actually be allowed to have two! It'll be great flanking the One with an external drive on each side.

It would be nice if they would just support NFS, iSCSI and/or SMB 3.0. It has a gig nic for a reason, let's actually use it.

It would be nice if they would just support NFS, iSCSI and/or SMB 3.0. It has a gig nic for a reason, let's actually use it.

That would be awesome! I wish Microsoft would make a small team that focuses on these smaller things that are big deals to the enthusiast crowd, but not for the mainstream gamers. 98% of people wouldn't use that feature (99.5%, more than likely). But, those of us that can would be very thankful. It wouldn't do any harm, but would give more positive karma to the Xbox One. Even if not used, people would be grateful that it was an option available to them.

The fact that you can disconnect the external drive , go to a friends house , hook it up and sign in and play all your games with their saves intact is fucking impressive. They one upped Sony big time on that. Sony is so weird with game sharing and with their stance on HDCP (it still doesn't work right for capture) I don't think we'll be seeing them allowing this same feature on the PS4.

Whatever Microsoft is doing , its the smart move.

Awesome news! Things just keep getting better. Glad to see these changes.

Also added the option to change the increments that Kinect changes the volume when using Xbox volume up\down

Just wanted to add some testing is being done in the beta forums with drives and load times.

One guy has a USB 3 raid enclosure with 2 wd blacks in raid 0 running on his.

"Forza, DR3 and Wolfenstein!!!

I can do others if we get some good results.

First test will be RAID 0 2 4TB (7.2TB total) west dig black drives (new model) in an StarTech RAID enclosure!!!

Wolfenstein: I see about a 1.5 sec increase in both first load to menu and load into game. Nothing much to report their!

However, Forza!

4 sec savings to get to "A" button, and 17 sec savings when load Le Mans. (54sec vs 37sec)

Waiting on DR3 to install now, had to redownload.

Dr3 to "A" button on regular drive is 61secs! Hope to shave some seconds off that.

Loading into game is 50seconds. Will know in about an hour how dr3 looks.

Then I will try my SSD!!"
"DR3:

Load to "A" button:

Internal: 61 seconds

RAID0: 41.5 seconds

20 second improvement!!!

Load to in game:

Internal: 50 seconds

RAID0: 33 seconds

17 seconds improvement!!!"
"SSD gives a mixed bag:

Wolf:

Same as RAID0.

Forza :(

Same as RAID0.

One sec difference if that. RAID0 was quicker :/

DR3:

SSD was 6 sec quicker on initial load to "A"

3 sec quicker on LeMans!

At least with these 3 games does not appear to be worth the premium!

Should be noted that fluctuation may occurs in speed, since I only did one or two versions of the test. But at least right now the RAID0 setup offers the best bang for the buck so far"

This was posted in the beta forums

Last edited:
Back