XBOX Live Do I need it?

Format _C:

2[H]4U
I'm getting an Xbox 360 Elite (The black one) for the holidays and I need to know if live is a required thing for it to work. I don't plan to play games with other people online but what other features does live allow me to have? and how much is it?
Thanks
- Xbox Newbie

I'm getting an Xbox 360 Elite (The black one) for the holidays and I need to know if live is a required thing for it to work. I don't plan to play games with other people online but what other features does live allow me to have? and how much is it?
Thanks
- Xbox Newbie

You will get a free month of live when you buy that console but you really won't need it unless you play mp.

Online MP and Netflix, other than that you don't need Live at all. You will just have a silver (non-live) account as opposed the gold (live) account.

Also I'm not sure if you can download and play Xbox Live Arcade games with a silver account.

Comparison of Xbox Live Gold and Xbox Live Silver

Feature-------------------------Live Silver-----------Live Gold
Pricing----------------------------Free-------------$35-$50 a year
Voice chat------------------------Yes----------------------Yes
Video chat------------------------No-----------------------Yes
Avatars----------------------------Yes----------------------Yes
Downloadable content--------Yes(1)-------------------Yes
Multiplayer gaming-------------No-----------------------Yes
Parties-----------------------------No-----------------------Yes
Netflix streaming----------------No ----------------------Yes(2)

(1)Some content arrives one week after Gold subscribers
(2)Also requires Netflix subscription

Hope this crudely made chart helps. :D

Comparison of Xbox Live Gold and Xbox Live Silver

Feature-------------------------Live Silver-----------Live Gold
Pricing----------------------------Free-------------$35-$50 a year
Voice chat------------------------Yes----------------------Yes
Video chat------------------------No-----------------------Yes
Avatars----------------------------Yes----------------------Yes
Downloadable content--------Yes(1)-------------------Yes
Multiplayer gaming-------------No-----------------------Yes
Parties-----------------------------No-----------------------Yes
Netflix streaming----------------No ----------------------Yes(2)

(1)Some content arrives one week after Gold subscribers
(2)Also requires Netflix subscription

Hope this crudely made chart helps. :D

You say $35 OR $50 for a year?
Please explain.

You say $35 OR $50 for a year?
Please explain.

You can get the prepaid cards online for much cheaper than ordering the service directly from Microsoft. Just keep your eyes open for deals.

At least sign up for the Silver (free) account, which will let you download game updates and demo's, all free.

It's worth it to be connected to the internet. But as for more of a premium online it's really worth it.

Like some people have already said, even if you don't plan on paying for a Gold account, at least hook your 360 up to the internet, to setup a silver account. You can download demos, videos, etc., and of course get updates for the 360 itself, as well as any games you buy.

Yeah, I would say make sure you get a silver account setup, that way if you ever want a Gold account you won't lose all your achievements and you secure a screen name now versus later.

Really it comes down to whether or not you plan to play games online. If you're happy with single player, then you can still download updates and bonus content without having a gold account.

I've come across some games that need Xbox Live Gold for free "non-essential" updates.

I know for a fact that the EA NHL series won't let you download roster updates without a gold subscription. I'd be surprised if it's the only game that doesn't use this kind of tactic.

Back