xbox live - constant disconnects -Help

flapbreaker

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 2, 2005
Messages
220
Well, My 360 went belly up a few weeks ago. I used to have no problem with xbox live. They sent me a different unit and now it will only stay connect for a minute or two. I made no changes to my router while the 360 was away so I can only assume something's wrong with the exchanged 360. I can run the network test and get an ip address but usually either fail the mtu or the next one down. Last night I ran it again and passed all tests but then xbox live logged out again after just a few minutes. Any idea's? DOes anyone think it could be the relplacement unit they sent me or should I keep looking at my network?

I tried directly plugging the 360 into my verizon dsl modem and bypass the router but the 360 couldn't even get an ip address. Something up.
 
Well first of all, to really test it out and bypass the router, you need to connect to your DSL Modem using the PPoE feature on the 360. Plug in your user name and P/w under that screen and then see if your connection drops.

Let us know what happens.
 
Double check that both IP address AND DNS are either set to automatic or manual with your custom settings. If DHCP is giving you probs, try adding a manual IP to see if it connects. Also, turn off your modem and router. wait a few seconds, turn on modem, turn on router. Good luck.
 
Well, it turns out I can't directly connect my 360 to my modem since Verizon isn't using pppoe in my area. Talked with microsoft tech support last night. They couldn't figure anything out so they told me to call my isp and have them run a ping test to check for latency. He wonders if I'm not loosing packets that cause me to drop the connection. I thought I could run a ping from my own computer but he said they had to do it. I think the easiest thing at this point is to drag my system to a friends and see if it works on their network.
 
Back
Top