xbox just got even better

Bling

Gawd
i was at xbox-scene and i saw an add for this dreamx thing.it is an xbox with a 1.48 ghz tuatilon and 128mb ram. so basicly it just doubled your cpu power /cache/ aswell as doubled your ram. it also has a modchip in it and a pre installed on/off switch. you can kick the speed down to 740 mhz if you need aswell. They also add optical digital sound out and s-video biult into the box,you can upgrade the hdd just like any other modded xbox also. this makes the xbox look so much better. some poeple have reported that when they run mythtv on an xbox that it sometime has a slight delay, well with this then its no problem.one problem i have is that my receiver is a 6.1 channel decoder. will it decode the 5.1 dolby digital?

You may want to read up on that thing, there are some rather amusing side effects :)

Anyway, about 5.1 -> 6.1... this can be accomplished with Dolby Matrix 6.1 or DTS-ES Matrix. Your receiver probably supports one or both, check the features. It will probably also play 5.1 just fine, simply not using the rear center channel.

what side effects are you referingmtoo? the only one i know of is that some games run too fast, but that can easily be fixed if you hit the speed switch.

Edit- ok i just read a review that shed some light on the problems it had. But there is still the dreamx system with just the doubled ram and the other mods without the celeron. Poeple complain about some delays the xbox has in running some applications. the extra ram would helpm this alot and i think it might be worth it

well Bling why dont you go order one and tell us how it goes ok

it speeds up the games 2x, so you can't play anything. the only thing it does is allow you to have a linux xbox which pretty muc hwould make a server. you could spend the money better elsewhere.

your better off buying a modded xbox for 350$ with 160gig hd or so for umm playing your backups

i wuold think that just the ram would help out alot. if you were to get just the ram then it would still retain all abilities

The RAM would help alot if the games were developed with 128mb in mind but that's not the case. :rolleyes: :D
BTW this was on the frontpage several months ago (I think it was something like 5).

I'm with JRoe52. I don't see the point of the dream-x system. if you need twice the power of the xbox, you aren't looking for an Xbox anymore, you'd probably be better off looking for a regular smaller profile computer, with similar specs. They do what the xbox wasn't intended for much better anyway, and you can get a TV tuner. In my experiance, XBMC works great with the regular modded xbox, its only limitation being HDTV type stuff. that's where you get anything from the upped CPU/Ram. see here: http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer/20040511/xbox-multimedia-01.html
The Xbox does what it does beautifully, because the games for the xbox were designed for the exact specs of the xbox, 733 Mhz processor, 64 megs of ram. And old roms are awesome on it too.
My 2 or so cents.

jroe52 said:
it speeds up the games 2x, so you can't play anything. the only thing it does is allow you to have a linux xbox which pretty muc hwould make a server. you could spend the money better elsewhere.

your better off buying a modded xbox for 350$ with 160gig hd or so for umm playing your backups

no it doesnt

some games do get really confused and break but most actually perform better with the new processor. smoother etc. the big problems seem to be with the extra RAM which does NOTHING at all for games except cause havoc. i would get an upgraded proc if it wasnt stupidly expensive.

CrimandEvil said:
The RAM would help alot if the games were developed with 128mb in mind but that's not the case. :rolleyes: :D
BTW this was on the frontpage several months ago (I think it was something like 5).
exactly. the developers for the xbox design and optimize (depending on their competence :)) for the given specs of the xbox. since they don't plan on the user having more than what 99.9% of xboxes have, there wouldn't be any gain for games. it just wouldn't use it. now for the pc versions say, they expect people to have different cpus/memory so they have to design the game with that in mind so that it can be flexible and run on a wide range of hardware. also, pc games have quality/resolution settings for this reason. with console games, it's supposed to look the same on every console (excluding if it's a game with htdv quality and you run it to component video say)

Back