Xbox going to $149 next month?

wileycat

2[H]4U
I forget where I saw this but I heard the Xbox is going to drop to $149 in april, I just wanted to see if anyone could confirm this. thanks.

This is great. I've had Panzer Dragoon Orta sitting here for a while, untouched because I don't own an X-Box. I bought the game when kaybee toys was having it's massive video game clearance sale, along with Mark of Kri (I don't own a ps2 either).

Glad to see an actual price drop and not another rumor of a price drop to $99 which any rational person would figure is 100% false.

sorry double post, H is gay for not letting you delete posts or have a search, yet they want to conserve bandwidth :rolleyes:

Originally posted by ds-
I hope the GC drops in price, would like to pick one up.

What the-

You realize it is only 100 dollars, right? And a used one is only about 70-80. If you still think that is too high, then I don't think you should get one at all.

I bought a GC in January solely for the purpose of playing Mario Kart. And I can't really say it was a bad investment, either.

already $149 at the Walmarts here...unless it was just a one time sale, but i think it's permanent.

I haven't checked it out personally, but if you have access to a military BX, I hear some sort of xbox package with 2 games is regular priced at $134 now......just FYI

Sounds good, if X-Box goes to $149 and its $179 we have a $30 price difference. Used xbox's go for $129 at my local Gamestop, so does that mean I can pick up a used one for $99??

I would definately put out the cash for that if I only had to spend $100.

Cube just dropped in Japan, US will see another drop within the next 6 months. Nintendo is so hopeless, they refuse to regonize theres an Internet, lack 3rd party support, and cant let go of their stupid licenses for one minute to introduce new titles to the system, who would have thought they were so dumb?

And this GBA DS is gonna be their tombstone unless they can crank out a stellar next gen console system.

Wow, i would think you guys on [H] would know ths but, sorry to dissapoint you.... the reason that xbox is going down in price is because they are taking the harddrive out of it completely, me and a friend were talking about this a few days ago, so i clicked on the thread just to see what you guys had to say about it, and to my astonishment no one has said anything about this...But yes, they are taking the hard drive out and putting in an "anti-mod" to chip into it... thats all i have heard, correct me if im wrong

Originally posted by ctu11y
Wow, i would think you guys on [H] would know ths but, sorry to dissapoint you.... the reason that xbox is going down in price is because they are taking the harddrive out of it completely, me and a friend were talking about this a few days ago, so i clicked on the thread just to see what you guys had to say about it, and to my astonishment no one has said anything about this...But yes, they are taking the hard drive out and putting in an "anti-mod" to chip into it... thats all i have heard, correct me if im wrong

That would constitute a MAJOR change in the way the console works if they removed the HD. Something like that would have been all over the gaming news if it were true. If you have a reputable source I'd take a look but I seriously doubt that's why they're dropping the price.

Originally posted by wileycat
That would constitute a MAJOR change in the way the console works if they removed the HD. Something like that would have been all over the gaming news if it were true. If you have a reputable source I'd take a look but I seriously doubt that's why they're dropping the price.

Agreed. I have heard this is going to be the case for the XboxneXt, but if they did it now they'd just be shooting themselves in the foot.

On a related note: Are the new Xbox reliable? Have they fixed the issues with the DVD drive failures?

Originally posted by Typical Gamer
Cube just dropped in Japan, US will see another drop within the next 6 months. Nintendo is so hopeless, they refuse to regonize theres an Internet, lack 3rd party support, and cant let go of their stupid licenses for one minute to introduce new titles to the system, who would have thought they were so dumb?

There really was no price drop in japan, just an adjustment for a new tax so it will cost the same. And I would doubt that they are going to drop the price anytime soon, they are pretty much sold out in the US. They have done extremely well since going to $100, no where near PS2 in total sales, but they are coming close to the PS2 sales rate.

It would be interesting to see if sony drops the price on theirs or adds in the hd, net, for less than $200.

It dropped according to our rep. And its all fine an dandy Cubes been selling, but they just started making them again so they're not hard to find anymore. Also, anyone that knows the business knows that console companies hardly make any profit off systems, the real money is in the games and peripherals, which Nintendo it taking a beating on.

And yes Sony is bundling things like that in the future.

And how do you suppose they would support nearly every game out now?

Removing the harddrive from the current Xbox would kill nearly everygame out for it.

Yeah, Just about every game I own uses up more than the size of a single memory card (KOTOR, anyone?). Plus I have several hundred MP3s on my Xbox. I couldn't justify forking over more than $100 for an Xbox with no hard drive. That's just stupid...
:rolleyes:

Just to set you guys down the right path again. The HD removal is planned for the xbox2, not the origional xbox.

Originally posted by SCSI-Terminator
Just to set you guys down the right path again. The HD removal is planned for the xbox2, not the origional xbox.
Heh, then the memory cards better hold more than 8MB. :p

You smoke crack don't you?

And this GBA DS is gonna be their tombstone unless they can crank out a stellar next gen console system.

*tsk *tsk *tsk, i smell fanboi.

Also, anyone that knows the business knows that console companies hardly make any profit off systems, the real money is in the games and peripherals, which Nintendo it taking a beating on.

Is that so?

http://npd.com/press/releases/press_040126a.htm

Funny, looks to me like Nintendo had four of the top 10 selling console games of 2003, while Sony (my personal favorite) had six and Microsoft had zero.

Maybe you thought so because they posted their first ever loss?

http://it.asia1.com.sg/newsdaily/news004_20031004.html

Yeah, they're really getting their asses kicked since they lost $46M that half... as long as you ignore that the first half of 2003 they had a net profit of $550M. Funny how even Sony couldn't post a profit like that (let alone Microsoft, who ended with less units sold and obviously ended in the red).

Yup, getting their asses kicked.

The quality of the games on the gamecube are so much better than the other consoles. I know the ps2 and xbox have more but how many are worth buying? I can name a pile of 5 star cube games off the top of my head.

Eternal Darkness
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 0
Metroid Prime
Zelda
Mario Sunshine
Mario Kart
Rouge Squandron
Veiwtiful Joe

These are all EXCLUSIVE games too. Name that many on the other too consoles that are exclusive.

Nintendo does not need to make that much money to stay alive. They are not a very big company when compared to Sony and MS. All they do is make games.

I also highly doubt that psp will put a dent in the gameboy's armor. Most people who buy gba s are kid's parents and they sure as hell don't know what a psp nor will they spend 250 dollars on one.

Responding to Neurofreeze:

I wasnt refering to the GBA, nor the GAMES for it. Those games were highly awaited releases for that season and the scope of games and attitude toward the Cube was just being developed by consumers, everyone knows its a dead end kids system. The GBA is DRASTICALLY helping Nintendo stay afloat. Regardless, Console Systems was the topic at hand..

And about their profit, you list a figure 5 MONTHS OLD!!, ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Things change you wanna be flamer. They're STILL earning less, they're still losing market share, since OCTOBER 2003 :rolleyes:

If your gonna fight, at least bring a sharp weapon...

It dropped according to our rep. And its all fine an dandy Cubes been selling, but they just started making them again so they're not hard to find anymore. Also, anyone that knows the business knows that console companies hardly make any profit off systems, the real money is in the games and peripherals, which Nintendo it taking a beating on.

And yes Sony is bundling things like that in the future.
Anyone who knows the business should also know that Nintendo has never sold hardware at a loss, either. Sony started doing it to undercut the Saturn and now everyone thinks it a universal practice.

Besides, it's not as if Nintendo is in any trouble. They've got a practical monopoly on the portable gaming market.

I'm finding little nuggets of truth in several posts mixed in with half-truths.

It's a fact that Nintendo's iron grip in the handheld market has kept their profits up despite the disappointing sales of the Gamecube. The price drop on the GC has really helped the bottom line, but they still have a problem attracting third-party developers and increasing their title base. Quality aside, it's quantity of titles sold that keep a company afloat. This has been a problem since the introduction of the N64.

Sony is in good shape with their console, but faces huge hurdles with Nintendo in the handheld market. The Gameboy line has crushed any and all competition facing it. The PSP looks good on paper and has the Sony name, but pricing and the number of games available at launch are going to be key to it's success.

Microsoft is doing better recently with their title development, something that hurt the system at launch. The obstacle that Microsoft faces is increasing the install base. In Japan the X-Box is an also ran and lags behind in Europe. The upcoming price drop can boost the console install base in time for the Christmas buying season, but rumors of the next console being incompatible with the current crop of games could hurt in the long run.

I don't care about 3rd party. There are more good nintendo than there are good games on xbox that are exclusive and I can't get for pc.

Originally posted by uB3rn00b3r
I don't care about 3rd party. There are more good nintendo than there are good games on xbox that are exclusive and I can't get for pc.
That's a fairly myopic view to take. It's killing Nintendo in the long run. Nintendo can only make so many sequels before the public gets bored.

For example, let's look at upcoming releases for the month of April. Same website (ebgames.com), two different platforms. For the Gamecube you have Warioware, Bomberman Jetters and Shrek 2. For the XBox you have thirteen listed. And April is a crappy month for releases.

The thing is that you depend on third-party developers to even out your schedule. You might have an exclusive that you play for a while, but eventually you're wanting to play something else. Nintendo has a good thing going with the Gamecube. They really need to reach out to third-party developers unless they really like staying in a distant third.

Back