XBOX FTP odd problem

Mr. Baz

2[H]4U
Background:

brand new xbox v 1.6b
Xecuter 3 CE modchip - latest BIOS that obviously supports the 1.6b version

I'm using XBMC as my dash

I've used SmartFTP, FlashFXP, and cxboxtool to FTP into the xbox.

I can FTP in perfectly fine. I can transfer pretty much any file, anywhere in the xbox. I can even FTP in a 500MB video without a hitch.

The Problem:
For whatever reason, the FTP session will 'hang' or sort of just stop when trying to FTP over certain files. The only files I have had this weird problem with is a default.xbe file, and certain ROM files.

I transfered over other .xbe files with no problem, but when it comes to the default.xbe file (Surreal Emulator) it causes a Socket# 10054 error.

Oddly enough, I've had this exact same problem several times before, but I eventually was able to FTP the file over somehow.

Oh, and the file shows up as some 32MB file after I blow away the FTP session and start over.

unrealized said:
try zipping the file and sending it over, then unzip after successful transfer

How do I unzip the folder via FTP? Raw commands?

The problem you are running into is with long file names. There are renaming programs for roms and such, that have a xbox filename option. If anything, if you don't have many files with that issue, just rename them a shorter filename.

Kahnvex said:
The problem you are running into is with long file names. There are renaming programs for roms and such, that have a xbox filename option. If anything, if you don't have many files with that issue, just rename them a shorter filename.
Tried, still doesn't work.

I had a problem FTPing to my XBox a while ago where it would hang when I'd try uploading a folder with multiple files in it. I fixed it by changing the settings in my FTP client so that it would only upload 1 file at a time, instead of multiple files all at once. I don't know if this is what you're running into or not but it couldn't hurt to try.

Try installing avalaunch and using either cxbox tool or Qwix. I've found that the newest cxbox tool doesn't transfer over some things that the older versions will. Also, try another dash to make sure it isnt XBMC.

Mr. Baz said:
Tried, still doesn't work.
bummer. Sorry about that. I've only ahd the issue with roms, and mine was with Long file names. Good luck with the rest of it.

I just decided to burn all my data to a DVD-R and just use the file manager in XBMC to copy everything over. It did perfectly fine. I'll probably just do that from now on.

You can try using the built-in FTP server in the X3 BIOS. Just hold down the white button on controller #1 (while you turn the xbox on) until you are greeted with the Xecuter BIOS. The FTP password by default is x3:x3, but it can be easily changed in one of the submenus of the BIOS.

Back