xbox controller for PC , 360 or X1?

arr4ws

Supreme [H]ardness
I want to buy a gamepad for my computer. Some game are better suited for gamepad IMO.

Should i go with the 360 or the xbox one?

depend on the price maybe. If the price is much better for 360, I think I can tell you the 360 controller still damn good. I did not try the XB1 controller but it appear good and a bit better than 360.

price of the wired 360 is 35$ , and xbox one (only wireless) 65$ in canada.

Depends on what you are playing

The D-Pad on the 360 controllers is just about the worst ever produced while the One controller is decent. Otherwise the are fairly similar with the One controller being slightly better in most regards

Also I swear that when I switched from a 360 to One I got a lot better in Dark Souls (but my 360 controller was ~9 years old so...)

EDIT: also the One controller will only worked in wired mode right now. it may or may not come with a cable but any A -> micro B cable should work. To get wireless you have to buy a separate adaptor and the One version isn't out til fall

Depends on what you are playing

The D-Pad on the 360 controllers is just about the worst ever produced while the One controller is decent. Otherwise the are fairly similar with the One controller being slightly better in most regards

Looking at my perfect wins in Tekken with the d-pad, I doubt the 360 d-pad suck. Saying the one is better ok maybe but saying it suck...

Alot depends on which controller you like. Determine that first. I personally like the Xbox One controller better. But there is no wireless at the moment so I'm stuck using the 360 for now.

You can't go wrong with the 360 controller. The transforming d-pad isn't too bad, I think its the best d-pad option for the 360.

If you want wireless you don't really havea choice. 360 controller for widows or wait for the xone controller. PS4 controller can work but I assume you won't benifit from the speaker and colored light.

The Xbox one controller is wireless , but need to be plugged via micro USB cable in order to work. There is no dongle for PC AFAIK

price of the wired 360 is 35$ , and xbox one (only wireless) 65$ in canada.

The Source might still have instore Xbox One controllers for $40.

It's actually been on sale quite a bit for $40 over the last half year or so.

I have an xbox 360 gamepad for my pc and a xbox 1 controller for my xbox one (i gotta play my forza) and both are good gamepads but I prefer the xbox 1 controller.

Looking at my perfect wins in Tekken with the d-pad, I doubt the 360 d-pad suck. Saying the one is better ok maybe but saying it suck...

Fair enough

Its sucked for every thing I've used it for (In example Mega Man X in SNES9x was... challenging :eek: and I've beaten it dozens of times with the original SNES game pad)

But then again I have one of the very first revs of the wired 360 controllers. They may well have gotten better since then (especially the wireless ones with the transforming D pad)

It all depends on your preference, price range, and time frame of purchase. I have an X360 "Silver Edition" Wireless controller (ie one with the dual mode Dpad) that I use alongside an official X360 wireless adapter. I've also equipped it with a X360 Play and Charge kit. It works great, however I am considering some "upgrades" as well.

I've not had enough time with an Xbox One gamepad to know if it is more to my liking or not, but it is worthwhile to try them out. Keep in mind there are several versions of XBOne pads; the newer ones have a headset jack, for instance. As of right now, there is no wireless adapter for PC use of XBOne pads, but it is scheduled to debut in the early fall, I think. There will also be a "PC adapter + controller" package which may be a little bit of a discount. However, the pad can be played in USB mode for now and I am to understand that, like the X360 controllers, it is detected in XInput mode and has good driver support (even in Linux!). Don't forget these need batteries by default, but there is an XBOne play and charge kit available as well. If you're willing to spend a bit more, the "best" version of the XBOne pad seems to be the "XboxOne Elite Wireless Controller. I made a post about it a little while ago, and it has some considerable upgrades which you can see here - http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/controllers/elite-wireless-controller - only downside is the higher price.

Don't forget there are also other options for gaming besides Xbox controllers. For instance, do you like the "Playstation" arrangement of joysticks as opposed to the "Xbox" style? You could purchase a Logitech F710, which can function and be detected as an XInput (ie X360 style) pad natively, or DirectInput (older keybinding style) depending on your preference. It comes with its own wireless USB adapter and isn't too costly.

Playstation 4 (or PS3) controllers are also good options. The only downside is that they have no first party drivers (Sony being idiotic) and there are a handful of 3rd party ones to choose from (right now, the open source ones are best) which may take a little more setup than Xbox controllers. However, with a quality driver package, you can use a PS4 controller both wired and wireless (via Bluetooth. You'll need a bluetooth adapter of your own) and even use the touchpad, as well as have the controller detected and mapped as an Xbox controller so games that support XInput controllers will detect it natively.

Lastly, don't forget the Steam Controller will be releasing in the fall. We don't yet know how it will stack up vs other controllers, but many that have used preview versions report it to be an excellent alternative to more conventional controllers, especially in games that normally do NOT play well with a controller.

Hope this helps.

The Xbone Elite Wireless Controller looks like an industrial controller that will be difficult to wear out.

I hope, anyhow.

Almost all of them are. The keyboard mouse combo has lost the war.

Depends on personal taste. Personally I wouldn't touch gamepads for anything that requires aiming precision (one couldn't pay me enough to use gamepad to play FPS or TPS for example), nor any games that requires the use of cursor (eg RTS or TBS). Wouldn't use gamepad for flight sims either.

Other than that, I do use gamepad for games that requires moving but not aiming (FF's for example, and platformers or side scrollers).

To OP: I went with Xbox one because it was newer (I tend to buy newer stuff when possible) and the D-pad looked like it's more comfortable to use, and the buttons looked better aestheically. Wireless or not didn't particularly bother me.

i prefer the controller when possible as I game from my couch but you M/K when playing crpgs and anything with that needs inventory management.

Back