Xbox 360 = Unreliable POS. Warranty?

pseudo22

Weaksauce
I first got my 360 almost 2 years ago and I've had no problems with it whatsoever, a friend of mine was gonna get the Falcon variant and I wanted an HDMI port so 6 months ago we swapped systems, no problem. Now I know the condition he keeps his game systems in and that's why i did the trade: on an entertainment rack, well ventilated, no problems. His (my old) Xbox 360 RROD'd on him about 5 months ago. Mine is startin to give artifacts and now wont even display the initial logo without locking up and displaying lines as if it's overheating. Also, about 2 months after i received his Falcon the DVD drive wouldn't recognize games... it would work eventually but it's increasingly become a problem now. (not that it matters cause the damned thing doesn't work) Long story long, if I RMA'd this 360, do you think it'd be under warranty? Or would i have to wrap it in towels to RROD the damn thing?!

If you have a RRoD or E74 error you can still have Microsoft fix the 360, even if its not under warranty. They charge you though, something like 30$.

If you have a RRoD or E74 error you can still have Microsoft fix the 360, even if its not under warranty. They charge you though, something like 30$.

3 red rings and e74 errors are free to fix just fill out the online form at xbox.com

That is an exceptionally long story for a warranty question, considering typing "360 warranty" into any search bar would have given you an answer in half a second. 3 years from date of purchase with a receipt, or manufacture date without receipt, for rrod and e74. 1 year for everything else. If it's out of warranty there are a variety of DIY fixes out there in google land.

well at least my launch commodore 64 still works lmao!

Had my second 360 RROD on me just a couple days ago.:(

I'm starting to call it the S*** box 360.:D

I'm on my third 360.

In-store replacement warranty FTW.

Well worth the money.

I've heard all of these horror stories about 360's red ringing. I guess i got lucky, i'm on a launch console right now. About 8 months ago i thought it was dead, got the 3 red rings, then when i called ms to setup the repair it started working again...no issues since...knock on wood.

I've heard all of these horror stories about 360's red ringing. I guess i got lucky, i'm on a launch console right now. About 8 months ago i thought it was dead, got the 3 red rings, then when i called ms to setup the repair it started working again...no issues since...knock on wood.

Dont worry, your time will come soon I'm sure (looks like its already begun!) :p

I'm on my 4th one now. I've had 2 Premiums and 2 Elites. Hopefully my current Elite will last.

I've purchased 2, one launch day console which still works for my friend and a newer one with HDMI (don't know which varient), and I must say having the HDMI cable vs the RCA/Component is MUCH MUCH NICER!

almost launch console that just RRODed last week, did the x-clamp mod and its working again (for now at least).

Both of mine have never had any issues, one is a launch Premium the other is a launch Elite.

Both of mine have never had any issues, one is a launch Premium the other is a launch Elite.

same here I have a launch pro 360 and elite 360 that both have never had any problems with.

I wouldn't try the towel trick as it is just a temporary fix. At least for me it was. If you are no longer under warranty it's time to open it up and replace the x-clamps. Look up x-clamp fix and you should be able to find the specific parts that you will need to buy. I went to OSH, bought what I needed and my 360 has been good for a while.

you are about to get the "e74" error. Mine just did that 2 weeks ago, I got on support.xbox.com and just put in that i got e74...they shipped me a return box in 2 days, I boxed it up and shipped it back and 4 days later I had a working 360 :)

Not more than a hassle to be honest, I'm just glad I got it back to play 1943 on launch day yesterday!

No, their BluRay drives just fail. :rolleyes:

So true.

Had a friend who's 360 RRoD (modded so he is SOL) and less then two weeks later his PS3 BluRay drive took a crap. His PS3 was a first release model so it wasn't covered under warranty by the time the drive died, he emailed Sony about it and I guess they wanted $150 to fix it. So now he just plays DS and PSP while his 32" widescreen LCD sits collecting dust in his gaming room.

So true.

Had a friend who's 360 RRoD (modded so he is SOL) and less then two weeks later his PS3 BluRay drive took a crap. His PS3 was a first release model so it wasn't covered under warranty by the time the drive died, he emailed Sony about it and I guess they wanted $150 to fix it. So now he just plays DS and PSP while his 32" widescreen LCD sits collecting dust in his gaming room.

if he's modding his 360 he should be able to do the xclamp fix.

if he's modding his 360 he should be able to do the xclamp fix.

He tried the xclamp and said it was still a no go so it must have been a wrath of god type RRoD. I always thought of the 360 as a ticking time bomb waiting to go off since the first reports of RRoD but the failure of PS3 BluRay drives caught me by surprise, and to have both happen in less then two weeks is very bad luck. I make sure now to not bring over any electronics with me that I don't mind dying when I visit him, heh. :D

Back