Xbox 360 to Compouter Monitor

eli

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey, I was just wondering the best way to go about hooking up an xbox 360 to a PC monitor?

I am using a 19" DVI lcd with 1280x1024.

Anyone have any experience with these?:

http://www.x2vga.com/

Thanks

The best way is just to buy the official Microsoft VGA cable available from just about every location that sells the Xbox 360.

Although,

Since you did mention the company, I will give props to X2VGA. I bought their converter for the original Xbox and it worked great.

Cool, ok. Will it support my native resolution though?

Thanks

Yeah I am semi-interested in using my 17" Viewsonic LCD (NOT wide-screen, 1280x1024) if I pick up a 360. (either that or my 20 year old 19" RCA TV w/ coaxial only, which will probably look like ass, no?)

Anyways, will it look decent on my LCD monitor using the VGA adapter? I don't like ANY crappy squashed textures, I want it to look clear and crisp.

I don't want to spend another $200+ on a new monitor just to use it for the 360, please help me out!

I was wondering the same thing. How will it work on a regular LCD? I'm assuming in 480 mode it will just look super low res because of the native LCD resolution being so much higher, and 720p is going to be squished, correct?

I used my Xbox 360 through VGA on my 17" LCD and it works fine.

You'll just get a letterbox view like watching a widescreen DVD on a regular tv.

Can you use a VGA to DVI adapter with the xbox 360 VGA cable on a TV for 1080p or will that not work?

Can you use a VGA to DVI adapter with the xbox 360 VGA cable on a TV for 1080p or will that not work?

I don't believe such a thing exists. I think you'd need a VGA to DVI converter since you're trying to put an analog signal through the line and get digital out of it.

So how could I make that work then? Since my TV does have a DVI-I port but no VGA. I'm trying to avoid buying an xbox elite if I can since I already have a 360 and the hd-dvd drive addon.

So how could I make that work then? Since my TV does have a DVI-I port but no VGA. I'm trying to avoid buying an xbox elite if I can since I already have a 360 and the hd-dvd drive addon.
Are you sure you actually have a DVI-I port and not just a DVI-D port? DVI-I is an astonishingly rare thing on HDTVs, from what I understand.

Assuming you do have DVI-I (or DVI-A, I guess), you want to get a VGA to DVI-A or VGA to DVI-I adapter. Newegg should have them, I think.

I used my Xbox 360 through VGA on my 17" LCD and it works fine.

You'll just get a letterbox view like watching a widescreen DVD on a regular tv.

You can stretch the image or view a letterbox image depending on what you select in the settings blade; fullscreen for a letterbox image or widescreen for a stretch image (assuming you are using a fullscreen monitor).

Unless your monitor has a special key/option to scale the picture, you will have problem with some games.

They will play but they will play streched and look awful.
Examples of this, PGR3, Area 51, Halo 2. Also some games might have a problem running, like Top Spin 2. Also some old Xbox 1 games will not run either. For example Halo.

If you updated your Xbox 360 with the latest update and choose as resolution 1280x1024 then in many games you will get letterbox, thus better picture. Example of this, Saints Row, Gears of War.
For some games, like PGR3, you might want to change resolution to 1024x768 to make the game run in lower resolution, but get letterbox.

All the above with the VGA cable/connection.

I strongly advice you though to get a widescreen monitor and make sure it scales on its own.

Back