Xbox 360 Premium: $299

Do refurbish models come with 1 year factory warranty + the option to extend the warranty? Given the 360's track record, warranty is the deal breaker.

Wrong. The current Xbox 360's use a 90nm not 65nm. I believe is has been said that this fall the 65nm will be out.

I think he means that the moment you buy one, a press release will come out saying that the new 65nm will be out in a week. You know, the whole "wait vs. buy now" debate.

Normally I'm not one to wait. I had a PS2 and Xbox within a week of their respected releases. I just want a home console that doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner or require extra fans to keep from freezing up. The new DVD drives are a good step in the right direction but I'm not going to bite until the new chips start shipping. Its a shame MS won't put out a 360 with an internal HD-DVD. The external one is far to noisy.

Is it the 90nm xenos chip or the DVD drive that makes all of the noise?...............................

"chips" don't make noise.

I know, I was just asking that because everyone is asking "does it have the 65nm chip???!!" Like it matters what kind of chip it has. Is it going to make the xbox quieter? Faster? better 5.1 sound?

I know, I was just asking that because everyone is asking "does it have the 65nm chip???!!" Like it matters what kind of chip it has. Is it going to make the xbox quieter? Faster? better 5.1 sound?

B/c heat is one of the main factors in the 360 failing and giving the red circle of death.

It DOES matter if you want a cooler running, more stable machine.

Smaller die size always matters.

It's also a sign that if you have a machine with the "newer" die size it likely also has other process improvements in it to make a more stable machine.

This isn't a bad deal at all, and actually tempts me to snag one, even though I normally don't go for console games that much.

I wish it was the Elite.

Microcenter a few months ago had the Premuim for $199 with thier 100 cash back with their new credit and thier 100 rebate.

To all those asking about the Xenos chips... those are the chips that are in the xbox 360 Elite version only for the time being.

Do refurbish models come with 1 year factory warranty + the option to extend the warranty? Given the 360's track record, warranty is the deal breaker.

The web site says it has a 90 day warranty.

I'd call Microsoft and tell them you were interested in purchasing a refurbished 360 and were curious to know if you could extend the warranty on it. While you have them on the phone, I'd ask them if it's really a 90 day warranty or if the refurbs have the one year as well.

I don't see why they wouldn't let you extend it; they're going to get your money!

i would get a 360 but i wouldnt risk it. too many stories of them dying right after warranty, im not wealthy enough to throw away money like that. i think ill probably go with ps3 this generation. the exclusives are starting to shape up nicely on it, blu-ray, blue-tooth, more powerful, open formats, folding, etc. for $125 more than the 360 elite with tons more features, its the obvious choice for me

The current elites have the same chips as the regular boxen do... and none of them right now are 65nm. However, the board design is refined, which is leading to speculation that revisions to that design will remedy some of the issues that lead to the lights of the red death. Namely, heat causing the board to flex and break solder joints..

I'm almost tempted to wait to re-buy one until all the elites have the quiet DVDdrive, and the die-shrink.

Tempted, probably won't. Probably end up with an elite as soon as I get my exchange credit from the RPP at Circuit. Too bad I can't use it for this deal.

With such a short warranty it's not worth it to buy from geeks.com when you can get used ones with games and extra controllers for $300 all day long.

Back