• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

xbox 360 or Nintendo wii?

frankyk

Gawd
Joined
Jan 30, 2004
Messages
891
I have about $250-400 to spend on a console.

which one? i really like mario kart for all the nintendo systems (mk64, mkdd).

but i also like competitive gaming, but who knows.

which one is better to get?

also, core or premium for xbox360? is there a big diff?
 
Get an Xbox premium for now, then get a Wii later on when more games come out for it.

No particular need to rush to be an early adopter and try to find a Wii with everyone else. Go buy an Xbox instead...so there'll be one more Wii out there to increase my odds of finding one >.<
 
Unless there is a must have game on the Wii that you really want the better choice is the 360 premium (dont even consider the core since after you by the HDD it comes to the same price as the premium). I have a 360 and I just got the Wii and the 360 is just starting to get the really good games where as the Wii just launched although you can get gamecube games on it like Mario cart.
 
Why don't you just pick up one of these $9.99 Playstation 3's like this guy did?

Link
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah the wii isnt really a replacement for the 360. I love it as another thing to play with but I can't imagine it being my only system...plus, as has been noted, there's not much to play right now and nothing much coming out before next summer or so realistically.
 
I'd go for a 360 because of the one-year catalog of games. Right off the bat you have games like Oblivion and GoW that are worth the console purchase.

I love the Wii and will own one someday, but I'm hesitant about buying a launch unit because of Nintendo's track record of games released after launch. Both the N64 and GC had some good launch games and then very little else for the next six months.
 
D'you have an HDTV? What's your budget like? You have a bunch of GC games?
I'd go with the 360 in most situations, but it's more expensive, it's MUCH better in HD, and it's not going to play any GC games (obviously).
The thing about the Wii is that right now the games are so-so. Zelda's good, but the others are all just controller demonstrations. "Look at how wacky our controller is! Different is somehow FUN!"
It'll likely take a few months before some real games start coming out. Most of the releases are gimmicky and get old within a few weeks. By mid '07 we should see games that play normally but use the controller properly.
 
Do you have a HD TV set?

If so, then you should take advantage of the xbox360 and its high def output, you will love the visuals.

If not, then maybe check out the wii because of the different nature of the gameplay. From what im reading, everyone is really enjoying the motion sensors.
 
I would go for either one... But if I had to choose right now... I would get the xbox premium for $300 after rebate... which isn't too bad considering Wii costs $250...
 
Let me preface by saying I was at the midnight release for the Wii. Love it. Wouldn't give it up. However, I've had my 360 for a few weeks longer and as has been said, the 360 is just more mature. Their are more games at the moment. If you want something to play with the family, Wii is a better choice, IMO, but if its just for you, 360 is going to give you more in the short run.
 
Deke said:
Why don't you just pick up one of these $9.99 Playstation 3's like this guy did?

Link



HOW IN THE HELL.... did this happen?
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
"The seller ended this listing early to sell to the high bidder(s) at current bid price."

Im assuming something went wrong, the seller freaked, had a friend create a new account and quickly end the auction like that.
 
I'd say the answer to this question is more about what you're looking for in a system.

If you're looking for a graphical masterpiece with lots of games but typical controls and experience (basically, it's got everything the same as every other system, just prettier) then I'd go with the 360 (Premium definately, they need to axe the Core).

If you're looking for a different type of experience, something more interractive that almost anyone can pick up and enjoy, try the Wii. I'll be picking one up because I get the feeling that my fiancee who hates videogames will get hooked :p

As stated though there is only one really strong title for it right now (Zelda) and it will take a little while before more appear, while the 360 has plenty of good games out now. I'm tempted to buy a 360 just for GoW but I know I really only need 1 system and I think in the long run I'll get more enjoyment out of the Wii.

I really don't think you can go wrong with either system, it's just going to be what you're looking for in a console.
 
Firebomb said:
HOW IN THE HELL.... did this happen?
I'd say either the seller or buyer contacted the other on the sly and made a deal that took eBay's percentage out of the deal.
 
tfbit said:
I'd say either the seller or buyer contacted the other on the sly and made a deal that took eBay's percentage out of the deal.

thats exactly what happened
 
kabob983 said:
If you're looking for a different type of experience, something more interractive that almost anyone can pick up and enjoy, try the Wii. I'll be picking one up because I get the feeling that my fiancee who hates videogames will get hooked :p
This man speaks the truth if you have a gf :>
 
/337 said:
Duh, read the description, it sold for $1200.
If you're a DA, don't post. The auction says it sold for $9.99+$50 shipping. The bid history shows 1 bid for $9.99. Where do you see that is SOLD for $1200?
 
If you feel lucky, Amazon will have 1,000 Xbox360 Core systems selling at $100 each at 11:00 am PT on Thanksgiving
 
The 360 and Wii are different enough to live in harmony with each other....if you also have a decent pc then you have a perfect gaming trifecta without the need for a PS3. Especially if you get one of the 360 HD-DVD drives that also works standalone with a pc..
 
tazzmissionx said:
If you feel lucky, Amazon will have 1,000 Xbox360 Core systems selling at $100 each at 11:00 am PT on Thanksgiving
That's all the core is really worth considering the neutered features limit it's usefulness. The harddrive alone ($100) is pretty much required for this machine. Other than that though...if you really can score a Core system for 100 bucks then you can put together a functional console for $200. :cool:
 
As an owner of both, I'll say Wii. I love Gears of War, mind you--but Wii is just plain more fun than 360, and for your price range you're best off snagging the Wii and a couple of games as opposed to a 360 and none. Zelda and Rayman are *highly* recommended
:cool:
 
tazzmissionx said:
If you feel lucky, Amazon will have 1,000 Xbox360 Core systems selling at $100 each at 11:00 am PT on Thanksgiving

I'm pretty sure you only get a shot if you *voted*, though...
 
DragonMasterAlex said:
As an owner of both, I'll say Wii. I love Gears of War, mind you--but Wii is just plain more fun than 360, and for your price range you're best off snagging the Wii and a couple of games as opposed to a 360 and none. Zelda and Rayman are *highly* recommended
:cool:

Yep, zelda and rayman look good, if I could find a wii those are the games I would definitly buy.
 
cb9fl said:
Do you have an 40+" HDTV? If so then the 360 is the way to go.
I'm playing my Wii on a 50" plasma and it looks pretty good over composite. Can't wait for component.

FWIW, 480p DVDs look fantastic on my plasma, too.
 
Hate to jack a thread but I'm in the same boat too. I dont have a HDTV but, honestly I play for the game itself and as much I would love a HDTV, well, bills+payments > HDTV for now.

Circumstance: i'm deciding this for my 11 year old sister (and ok myself too, thanks Gears of War). She took over my Xbox after I stopped playing it for awhile and we colleceted now 20-25 games (5 are mine =P). She also has a N64 that still works (still shocks me it still does work) and she loves it too.

I've played with both a 360 and Wii and now I cant decide. They're both good consoles in their right, but I gotta get something before Christmas to put under the tree. My one big question is, I know the 360 can take old xbox games to a degree after getting the harddrive plus an update. Is there a compatiablity list for this?
 
You can browse through the Gamestop used games and the compatible ones have 'bc' on the price tag. It's pretty clear, IMO, that the Wii is targeted for the kiddos.....I've seen a few 'families' pick up their reserves and the kiddies just can't contain themselves.
 
XBox360 Premium. The Wii is cheap enough where if you aren't satisfied with the 360 you can sell it and buy the Wii.
 
cb9fl said:
Do you have an 40+" HDTV? If so then the 360 is the way to go.

360 is great on any tv, SDTVs included. Or how about just use your computer monitor and play in HD if you're going to be like that ?

I smirk at these reasons for not buying a 360. Nintendo fans always say its about the fun, and the games.. yet don't buy a 360 if you don't have a HUGE HDTV.. because you NEED a hdtv to have fun, or for the games to be good.

:rolleyes:
 
Noid you got me all wrong. I was saying if he has a 40+" HDTV then the 360 is the only way to go. For anything below that the Wii is a contender. I have both a Wii and a 360 now and while the Wii is cool for old games and MIGHT be good for web browsing once it actually has that option I find myself enjoying the 360 much more.
 
cb9fl said:
Do you have an 40+" HDTV? If so then the 360 is the way to go.

I play my Wii on a 61" HDTV and, while it's definitely not the level of graphics that 360 brings (nothing on the console market today can *touch* Gears of War, period), it still looks good and is a boatload of fun.

If I could only afford one or the other--regardless of TV size--I'd choose Wii and never look back.
 
Greenwit said:
You can browse through the Gamestop used games and the compatible ones have 'bc' on the price tag. It's pretty clear, IMO, that the Wii is targeted for the kiddos.....I've seen a few 'families' pick up their reserves and the kiddies just can't contain themselves.

You're kidding, of course :).

Wii is for *everyone*. It's got a good variety *already* (it's launch flat out *embarrassed* the PS3 launch), and there's just more and more goodness coming.

I'm 31 and I LOVE my Wii. My fiancee is 26 and she loves it. I have friends in their later 30's and early 40's who've never owned a console and liked it so much they went out to get themselves one. I know a 45 year old man who has *no* children and he was in line at 5AM to get a Wii, right beside me. My boss, in his late 50's, told me today that he'd gotten to play the Wii at a Target and was thinking he'd pick one up on Friday (luck to him, heh).

The "Wii is for kids" line is a bunch of crap, friend. Don't buy it.
 
Back
Top