Xbox 360 on a Dell 2007WFP

3-Phase

Limp Gawd
I want to get an xbox 360 elite, and I want to know if I will be able to use my 2007WFP with good results.

Can the 2007WFP maintain the 16:9 aspect ratio and fill the screen, but have black bars on the top and bottom? Can it also do 1:1 pixel mapping for the 1280x720 resolution of the xbox 360?

Yes, the Dell can do 1:1 with the 360....but trust me when I say you probably won't use it when you see how much screen area you're giving up. Up until I got my NEC 20WMGX2 I used the 2007WFP for 360 by simply setting the highest widescreen res available (1360x768 iirc) and letting the Dell do the rest by filling the screen. It looked just fine to me..

So aspect mode doesn't work? When I use that for standard resolutions (like 1280x1024) it puts black bars on the sides.

I don't like just filling the screen because I can really notice the stretching.

So aspect mode doesn't work? When I use that for standard resolutions (like 1280x1024) it puts black bars on the sides.

I don't like just filling the screen because I can really notice the stretching.
No, the aspect (1:1 mapping) works fine it's just that you're making your 20" widescreen basically a 15" or smaller when you use it. The Dell does a good job with scaling without using the 1:1..better than most.

I am not talking about 1:1.

There are three settings on the "display settings" menu: 1:1, Aspect, and Fill.

1:1 should put the exact resolution (pixel for pixel) on the screen with a black box surrounding the image.

Aspect should maintain the 16:9 aspect ratio of 1280x720, but fill the screen as much as it can. This should put black bars only on the top and bottom of the screen because the screen is 16:10 (1680x1050).

Fill just fills the entire screen with an image and stretches the image if it has to.

My question is: Does the aspect mode work like it should with the Xbox 360?

There is no "aspect" option with the 2007WFP, only 1:1, 4:3 and fill. I use "fill" for the 360 along with the highest widescreen res available and it looks great to me. My Dell is an A02 revision so if later firmware added aspect I am not aware of it..

Mine is a rev A04, and the aspect option is there, but no 4:3. Maybe the options change based on what kind of cable you use. Maybe only DVI has aspect and VGA has 4:3.

The best thing for me to use would be the HDMI out on the Elite and then use an HDMI to DVI cable, right? Would the picture be sharper than VGA?

Mine is a rev A04, and the aspect option is there, but no 4:3. Maybe the options change based on what kind of cable you use. Maybe only DVI has aspect and VGA has 4:3.

The best thing for me to use would be the HDMI out on the Elite and then use an HDMI to DVI cable, right? Would the picture be sharper than VGA?
By most accounts (including my own) the VGA connection is the best for a 360 hooked to a desktop monitor. Of course HDMI to DVI cable isn't an option for me so i don't know if that is better or not. Unless you plan to exclusively use the monitor for the 360...I believe you will won't like running your pc through the VGA.

Back