xbox 360 + nas?

Anyone got an xbox 360 to recognize a nas and be able to access the music/pics/videos from the dashboard? I haven't tried it yet but want to know before I pick up a nas enclosure and a new hd. Thanks.

I don't think it will work. You need Universal Plug and Play, plus a few more services for the 360 to recognize any shared files. You either need Windows Media Player 11, or Media Center on a PC for this to work.

As he said, the 360 requires the server to have either WMP11, Media Center, or Windows Media Sharing on it to share the media to the 360.

The 360 can not just browse network shares.

I read that freenas could do it, but my primary concern for my nas box was a builtin torrent client with webui so I just went with XP and installed WMP11 to share media. Maybe look into freenas and the 360 though, goodluck.

I use a QNAP TS-209 Pro for this exact solution. Xbox picked it up just fine.

Anyone got an xbox 360 to recognize a nas and be able to access the music/pics/videos from the dashboard? I haven't tried it yet but want to know before I pick up a nas enclosure and a new hd. Thanks.

QNAP NAS boxes use uPnP and TwonkyVision for this service.

I don't think it will work. You need Universal Plug and Play, plus a few more services for the 360 to recognize any shared files. You either need Windows Media Player 11, or Media Center on a PC for this to work.

Back