Xbox 360 Mouse and keyboard support

wankel

Weaksauce
Was wondering if any 360 owners have tried plugging in a mouse or keyboard into the 360? I would love to get one if someone starts offering mouse & KB support for FPS games. I not a fan of using controllers.

Tiny said:
For text entry only. Not for games.

Sad but true.

Can't stand playing a fps with a controller, so I'll still not be playing any fps'
on the consoles (unless ps3 has full kb/mouse support or nintendo gets their
asses in gear and branches away from the "kiddie" games since i think their
contoller has great potential....for fps anyway)

rfwinters77 said:
Sad but true.

Can't stand playing a fps with a controller, so I'll still not be playing any fps'
on the consoles (unless ps3 has full kb/mouse support or nintendo gets their
asses in gear and branches away from the "kiddie" games since i think their
contoller has great potential....for fps anyway)

I believe that Ubisoft, Nintendo, and Retro Studios (of Metroid Prime fame) are confirmed to be making FPS or FPS-type (i.e. Splinter Cell) games for the Revolution for launch ;)

To answer this poster's question: the X360 will work just fine with a USB keyboard, but you'll only be able to use it for times that you need text entry. MS has set in stone that all games will be made for the gamepads only. When mod chips come out, I'm guessing that homebrewed games can use the keyboard, but the developers are instructed to make the game for the game-pad only.

The PS3 is rumoured to have the support, however, for select games like Unreal Tournament, but the concrete evidence isn't there yet, so we'll have to wait on that. But it won't be across the board, that's for sure. They need to sell boomerangs, too :)

I remember using keyboard and mouse on my Dreamcast to play Quake 3 and Unreal Tournie. Ahh those were the days........*sniff* I miss my Dreamcast. So many innovations for a console.

Anyway back on topic, like others have said, text only.

Shadow27 said:
I remember using keyboard and mouse on my Dreamcast to play Quake 3 and Unreal Tournie. Ahh those were the days........*sniff* I miss my Dreamcast. So many innovations for a console.

Anyway back on topic, like others have said, text only.

Ahh yes, the Dreamcast. With Sega gone in the hardware market, it's all up to Nintendo to carry the "innovation" flame, as Sony and MS don't seem to want to do so. The Dreamcast was way ahead of its time, that's for sure :)

I wonder if, since the X360's keyboard support is text-entry only, if a mouse will even work. There's no real reason for it to work, as no games will ever make use of it, and XBox Live is navigated through the control stick. Anyone wanna try it?

how hard can it be to put in mouse/kb support? they could make the xbox or ps3 the next pro gaming movement... imagine how many ppl would buy it and tournies would start up:p

Lsv said:
how hard can it be to put in mouse/kb support? they could make the xbox or ps3 the next pro gaming movement... imagine how many ppl would buy it and tournies would start up:p

Are you forgetting MS's other market? That they don't want to kill? :p
Simply put, unless you pick the Revolution, you will be playing most of your console games with a Gamepad. And if developers are lazy (many are) the same thing will happen with Nintendo's system, in which the developer will just choose to use the gamepad-addition. PCs are for PC games, consoles are for console games. Simply put.

Lsv said:

It's not hard at all. But the thing about consoles is they put everyone on an equal playing field. If some people started using mouse/keyboard online then they would dominate and everyone would be forced to use the combo. That would negate the relaxed living room concept that consoles offer.

Maximus825 said:
It's not hard at all. But the thing about consoles is they put everyone on an equal playing field. If some people started using mouse/keyboard online then they would dominate and everyone would be forced to use the combo. That would negate the relaxed living room concept that consoles offer.

The thing is if people care so much aboutt getting dominated online, then they would get the mouse/keyboard combo as well. I personally hate that excuse they keep using. Some people care about just having fun online and don't care if they lose, so wouldn't bother with the mouse/keyboard combo. The competitive people would and would get the combo. I think people should be at least given the choice to use it for games.

xenogears said:
The thing is if people care so much aboutt getting dominated online, then they would get the mouse/keyboard combo as well. I personally hate that excuse they keep using. Some people care about just having fun online and don't care if they lose, so wouldn't bother with the mouse/keyboard combo. The competitive people would and would get the combo. I think people should be at least given the choice to use it for games.

If you want to game with a mouse and a keyboard, go get a PC. Oh wait, you have one already! Use it :p

xenogears said:

Everyone cares if they lose. Some just not as much, but it's no fun for anyone to constantly lose...

steviep said:
If you want to game with a mouse and a keyboard, go get a PC. Oh wait, you have one already! Use it :p

The problem is I would like to play Xbox games that aren't available on a PC. Gears of War looks great but I don't think I would enjoy it as much playing through it with a controller, it feels like you move too slow with a controller.

wankel...there's more to just the multiplayer fairness aspect....the game developers can more effectively program the difficulty of the game and AI creating a level playing field for all players - have you ever noticed that on consoles the bad guys move slower, attack slower, etc. If you had a mouse and keyboard you'd be able to subdue the baddies much more efficiently than a gamepad user. In order to make a good exp. for both types of players, it's easier to have a point of reference on which controller they are using....Can you imagine trying to beat UT2K4 with a gamepad on the PC? You can do it on xbox, but not on the PC, and if you had a mouse and keyboard on the xbox it would be stupid easy.

wankel said:
Was wondering if any 360 owners have tried plugging in a mouse or keyboard into the 360? I would love to get one if someone starts offering mouse & KB support for FPS games. I not a fan of using controllers.

buy a computer??

Archaea said:
wankel...there's more to just the multiplayer fairness aspect....the game developers can more effectively program the difficulty of the game and AI creating a level playing field for all players - have you ever noticed that on consoles the bad guys move slower, attack slower, etc. If you had a mouse and keyboard you'd be able to subdue the baddies much more efficiently than a gamepad user. In order to make a good exp. for both types of players, it's easier to have a point of reference on which controller they are using....Can you imagine trying to beat UT2K4 with a gamepad on the PC? You can do it on xbox, but not on the PC, and if you had a mouse and keyboard on the xbox it would be stupid easy.

I agree it is easier at controller difficulty but they could add a KB & Mouse difficulty setting, it doesn't seem like that would be hard to do.

For multiplayer..yeah it is unfair to play with controller users but once people start to realize this most will move over to using a mouse. I used to play Halo2 online using the Smartjoy Frag adapter and it was pretty easy to dominate just using a sniper rifle, but soon all my friends bought and started using one too.

I was just asking because I read rumors prior to the Xbox release that some developers would offer KB& mouse support. I was just wondering what the 360 does if you plug in a keyboard and mouse.

steviep said:
Ahh yes, the Dreamcast. With Sega gone in the hardware market, it's all up to Nintendo to carry the "innovation" flame, as Sony and MS don't seem to want to do so. The Dreamcast was way ahead of its time, that's for sure :)

I wonder if, since the X360's keyboard support is text-entry only, if a mouse will even work. There's no real reason for it to work, as no games will ever make use of it, and XBox Live is navigated through the control stick. Anyone wanna try it?

dude those dreamcast days were the fucking shiz nit, i remember playing my first mmorpg on it... yes i know i might get flamed but dude i didnt have a clue wtf a online rpg was until i got my hands on pso, phantasy star online was the best with the controller and keyboard. I still couldnt believe i ignored sleeping on weekdays to play that game and go to school with 3 hours of sleep. Only game i had back then for my pc was quake3 and counter strike.... cuz of my sad life with pso i had back away from that shit... it fucked up my freshman year in high school and i swore to myself never to touch an mmorpg again

I agree. The thing even had online gaming... hehe.
Sega is just a shell of its former self... Luckily the DS is finding a good place for the "good ol Sega" - I just hope that more DS-like titles (fun over flashiness) make it to the Revolution. And I hope Sega and Nintendo both pump out some titles worthy of the ass-kicking they should be giving MS and Sony.

I've heard conflicting reports. Some say it works fine, some here say "it dont work"

I want to hear from someone with xbox360 in hand and their experiences with a kb/mouse. Or, a credible source to confirm or deny. I simply cannot believe it "just doesnt work." Call it skepticism, or what have you....

What I would like to see is KB&M support and simply segregate the online games. By default, a controller player will NOT play with a KB&M player unless they join an invite or specifically enable playing with a KB&M player(Hell make 3 levels, Controller only, Mixed on invite, Mixed). This way, the controller users can't bitch about a damn thing, and MS can tell when someone is using a KB&M so its not like the Mouser can join the Controller game.

MrGuvernment said:
so any word they will support games? if not - cross Xbox 360 off my list.

You should cross the PS3 and the Revolution off your list as well because it seems you're not after a console...

Well, the PS3 may or may not support keyboard + mouse for some FPS games, the rumours say (Unreal Tournament being the first rumour), and the revolution controller apparently operates quite similar to a gyro mouse with extra 3D movement capability. So I wouldn't say he should cross them off just yet. But as I've said previously in this thread, if you want keyboard+mouse support accross the board, the PC platform is the one you're going to be playing on. No other.

Wonder why the console makers seem to be so anti-keyboard/mouse for games. It would at least be nice to have the option to use it. I know PS2 had a keyboard could you play games with it?

Wonder if you'll at least be able to use it on the 360 to chat online while playing, has anyone tried that yet?

Wankel, that is the only use that is supported. Under which games, I'm not sure. But MS said that online chat/text-entry will be its only use. FYI, console makers don't want to support kb+m because

a) they need to make money off their gamepads
b) they want all players on even ground
c) they don't WANT to be a PC, that's what makes them different

steviep said:
Wankel, that is the only use that is supported. Under which games, I'm not sure. But MS said that online chat/text-entry will be its only use. FYI, console makers don't want to support kb+m because

a) they need to make money off their gamepads
b) they want all players on even ground
c) they don't WANT to be a PC, that's what makes them different

Everyone would still use gamepads..I would only use the keyboard/mouse combo for FPS games. They make most of their money by selling more games and having keyboard/mouse support for big exclusive Xbox titles like Halo3, Gears of War, etc would lure alot of diehard PC gamers to the 360 (like me) and ultimately sell more games.
Like what was said before they could always detect a mouse and place you in a keyboard/mouse class for online play.
I starting to wonder what would be stopping MS from eventually turning the Xbox into a PC, seems like it would fall right inline with their world domination plans.

Maximus825 said:
You should cross the PS3 and the Revolution off your list as well because it seems you're not after a console...

I would like to have a console - but i would like the option to use a keyboard and mouse in some games like a FPS - wireless keyboard / mouse in the couch.

MS decision to sperate it to me is stupid, they could of done it other methods then saying no keyboard and mouse!!

Why is it so difficult to understand? If you want to play shooters with a keyboard and mouse, load up your PC! That's what it's for!

I think all of you are missing a huge point. Microsoft wants $

They produce their console and sell it for cost or below cost.. why? So they can sell all of the additives for profit. memory cards, additional controllers, DVD playback card... comon. If they give you Keyboard/Mouse support there goes their profit.. Most people aren't going to go buy a MICROSOFT mouse/kb to play their games. They're going out to get a logitech or copperhead blah blah that sorta thing.. the good stuff :p

It's all about the $

...if it was just about the peripherals money, they'd make an xbox360-specific mouse and keyboard and charge a fortune for them.

I know for a fact that diehard FPS fans would pay through the nose for true mouse+keyboard support on their consoles.

Of course, it is about the money, but not in the way you're thinking. Microsoft has to step very carefully when producing hardware platforms. The moment they produce something that can run MS Office natively, the pc industry will be up in arms, fearing MS' next move of making it run better on their consoles, and suddenly microsoft gets to eat the entire pie, instead of just the software piece of the pie.

That is why you won't see official mouse and keyboard support on a console that probably can and does run windows in a microsoft lab somewhere.

steviep said:
Why is it so difficult to understand? If you want to play shooters with a keyboard and mouse, load up your PC! That's what it's for!

why is it so difficult to understand that there are shooters on console that don't get ported to PC?

eastvillager said:
why is it so difficult to understand that there are shooters on console that don't get ported to PC?

Don't buy them, and they won't produce them for consoles. They'll make them for PCs instead, with better controls. I've never been a big fan of shooters on consoles anyway, since the controls are so terrible. Revolution may change this, or it may not. But everyone who plays Halo 3 will have to play with a gamepad, and there's nothing that's going to chance that fact, so those people will just have to deal with that.

So instead of a PC branded as a gaming console, we get a cprippled PC branded as a gaming console? :rolleyes: What could be so terrible about letting server hosts decided weather they want to allow KB and M support or not?

Obi_Kwiet said:
So instead of a PC branded as a gaming console, we get a cprippled PC branded as a gaming console? :rolleyes: What could be so terrible about letting server hosts decided weather they want to allow KB and M support or not?

What could be so terrible about playing on a PC instead of a console?

Been finding this info on the PS3 in several places on the web.

"No, it wouldn’t be the first time a game console’s had a keyboard and mouse (remember Mario paint?), but with first-person shooters becoming ever more popular in the livingroom and hi-def output on the next generation of gaming systems, would it be far fetched for the PlayStation 3 to take on a keyboard and mouse? Apparently not, since Sony revealed at a game dev’s conference that you’ll be able to play games like Unreal Tournament 2007 with wasd/pointer-style, something that could pose a real risk to the casual PC gamer market. But the real question at hand is: will these peripherals be PlayStation 3 authorized only, or are we finally going to be able to just rock any old keyboard and mouse on those integrated USB ports so long as the game supports it?"

I find it hard to believe if this true, then MS will sit back and do nothing. UT07 on PS3 with mouse and keyboard would rock...I just hope hope the rumors about the PS3 restricting games to only play on the console it's first inserted into are false, but considering their recent stupid idea of putting rootkits on music CDs makes me wonder.

Back