xbox 360 install game question

Firebomb

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello, I was wondering about the install game option on the 360, when u put a cd in there and it allows you to install the game. here is my questions.

1. What does this really allow you to do? cuz it still wants me to put the cd in the drive so does it use the cd at all? as in if the cd gets scratched after you installed the game would the game still work?..

2.Is this suppose to make the game faster? cuz I installed a few games and it doesn't FEEL like it is faster loading,. it might be but just don't seem like it.

thanks for you help.

Hello, I was wondering about the install game option on the 360, when u put a cd in there and it allows you to install the game. here is my questions.

1. What does this really allow you to do? cuz it still wants me to put the cd in the drive so does it use the cd at all? as in if the cd gets scratched after you installed the game would the game still work?..

2.Is this suppose to make the game faster? cuz I installed a few games and it doesn't FEEL like it is faster loading,. it might be but just don't seem like it.

thanks for you help.

1. its essentially just the copy protection that used to be used/still used in pc games. installing the game copies it to your hard drive so that it can be played off there, but the cd is still required so it knows you actually own the game and didnt just rent/borrow it to install. and yes, it will work if the disc is scratched as long as the xbox can recognize the game, beyond that the game is read from the hard drive

2. yes, installing to hard drive is meant to decrease loading times, but it also has other benefits like decreasing the sound coming from the console as it doesnt need to read the disc anymore. but, installing to the hard drive doesnt guarantee faster loading times, as some games, such as Halo 3, have their own methods for loading, and thus are hurt negatively by installing to the hard drive, while others load faster form the hard drive, but the margin varies

thanks for you help.

1. No spinning disc = quite Xbox. CD is required to verify you own the game, this prevents people from renting games and installing them to their drive. Xbox access's the disc on boot, thats it.

2. Most games load faster when installed to the hard drive/flash drive. In some cases, load times were cut in half.

I have a question, once you install a game to a HD will it always PLAY from the HD, or do you need to tell it to every time you want to play?

No, it knows already it will spin up to check the disk then spin down to read the HDD.

2. yes, installing to hard drive is meant to decrease loading times, but it also has other benefits like decreasing the sound coming from the console as it doesnt need to read the disc anymore. but, installing to the hard drive doesnt guarantee faster loading times, as some games, such as Halo 3, have their own methods for loading, and thus are hurt negatively by installing to the hard drive, while others load faster form the hard drive, but the margin varies

It is alot quieter with out having to use the dvd drive. but your right halo 3 is wack, it's pretty slow loading the maps from the hard drive, but its slow from the dvd too, cod4 is quick though.

I always install a game to the hard drive if its a game i will likely play to death such as Just Cause 2. Played it the first day i got it from the disc then installed it the second day and noticed hugely reduced load times and some wierd stuttering speech glitch was gone.

Also played through The Orange Box this weekend and the load times dropped from about 30 seconds to nigh on 5 seconds.

As others have said though. It all depends on the game. Some games simply don't recieve a noticable difference in load times. FF13 for one is no quicker nor was Bioshock 2. But its nice not to have the dvd drive noise in the background.

Also played through The Orange Box this weekend and the load times dropped from about 30 seconds to nigh on 5 seconds.

Yup, The Orange Box is one game that REALLY benefits from being installed to the hard drive. Fable 2 is another one that performs better when installed. Aside from some key games that load much quicker, not having the DVD drive spinning (with it's loud noise) is the next best benefit.

Back