Xbox 360 ... HDTV vs. CRT

icetrey47

Limp Gawd
Could anyone enlighten me on the differences in quality between an Xbox 360 on an HDTV vs. an older CRT? Exactly how much of a difference is there? Is it really unacceptable to play on a CRT? Thanks!

There are CRT HDTV's and Plasma/LCD SD/EDTV's...

But to answer your question. The main differences is that you will be playing at a much lower resolution in a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Get a HDTV before you get a 360.

The CRT isn't the problem. Resolution and aspect ratio is. CRT is considered by many a better technology (not newer), due to its rich colors and deep blacks, and its lack of ghosting.

An HDTV CRT like a Sony KD-34XBR970 or Toshiba's HF84 line is the perfect TV for Xbox 360 ;)

I think the real question is HDTV vrs. a 4:3 computer monitor right? As a CRT and a HDTV are not necessarily two different things.

My FW900 16:10 CRT and xbox360 was a great combo until I got my big set.

TheOmniscientCreator said:
The CRT isn't the problem. Resolution and aspect ratio is. CRT is considered by many a better technology (not newer), due to its rich colors and deep blacks, and its lack of ghosting.

An HDTV CRT like a Sony KD-34XBR970 or Toshiba's HF84 line is the perfect TV for Xbox 360 ;)

Let's not forget the CRT-based RPTVs out there. In the "bang for the buck" department, it's hard to beat them. I played some 360 on a 57" Hitachi and it was a beautiful thing. You can get 50+" of screen for under a grand, so if you've got the room it's definitely a nice option.

With that off-topic stuff out of the way, I don't think you need to hold off on a 360 just because you don't have HDTV. If there are games you want to play then just go for it. Watch for games that might be annoying on an NTSC system (such as Dead Rising with its text size issue) and enjoy the rest. HDTV rocks, but I just don't think it's a requirement. Plus, if you've got a monitor with VGA input you can grab the 360 VGA cord and go high-def that way when you've got the urge and a lack of funds to buy a new TV.

lol ... I guess I should have been a bit clearer with my request. What I'm basically asking is the difference between, say a 27" Television from 3 years ago, non-HD, just a regular TV that cost $150 at Walmart, and something like a 32" LCD that came out within the past 12 months and supports up to 1080i HD.

Obviously the newer TV in this example would look nicer, but I guess what I'm really getting at is exactly how much am I gonna be missing out on hooking the 360 up to the old 27" in my example. If that same 27" had HD support, would there be a drastic difference?

I found the move from NTSC to 480p on my Samsung 27" HDTV (480p/1080i) to be a huge difference, and it takes me a good hour or two watching an older NTSC TV to stop noticing the quality difference (mainly, I notice scan lines). When I started playing 360 in 1080i on this TV, I've noticed some increase in the quality, but not as much as I notice on a bigger screen with higher resolution.

So, to answer your question, yes, there is a huge difference between NTSC and digital TV (again, even 480p) at the size you describe. If you're someone who will game a lot on the 360 (or, presumably, the PS3) then an upgrade to your TV would indeed make sense.

Will it be less enjoyable? Yes.
Will it deter the experience? Absolutely not.

Be aware that text may not be crystal sharp on the SDTV.

As far as TV viewing, the upgrade to HDTV is amazing. Prime time shows look incredible, sports look great, and channels like discovery HD make you appreciate how beautiful the world looks.

Going back ontopic, I think you should go to a BB or Circuit and take a look at what HD looks like. The difference between a 27inch tv and a 32 inch HDTV is big and seeing it at a store might help yourself out a little bit.

As far as the 360 is concerned, I personally feel there is a big difference when playing on high def. One of my fav games, NBA2k7, which looks amazing in High Def, looks plain and boring on SDTV.

Overall, is it worth it? I would say yes because not only does your gaming experience go up, but you have a HDTV which allows you to enjoy high def content.

I noticed the other day they still sell the Sony XBR CRT HDTV. Its a nice set..if size and weight aren't an issue for you, then CRT still offers the best HDTV picture. Black blacks, no limited viewing angle, plenty of brightness, etc.

I have a 3 year old sony 34" HDTV CRT giant (has DVI, does 1080i)....the thing is about 270lbs and takes two people to move...not fun. But...it is my main TV and love it. I want to replace it with an LCD, but no ready to give up my CRT..

Don't get the XBR970! The XBR970 is actually an upgrade of a lower sony model with a crappier tube and thus a huge downgrade in image quality from the XBR960 and XBR955.

gwu168 said:
Don't get the XBR970! The XBR970 is actually an upgrade of a lower sony model with a crappier tube and thus a huge downgrade in image quality from the XBR960 and XBR955.

Unfortunately at this point you pretty much take what you can get in terms of CRT HDTVs as the good sony fine-pitch tubes are discontinued (the XBR960/955).

Back