XBOX 360 HD-DVD to cost $199

JBark said:
Component can easily handle 1080p, and there are TVs that accept 1080p over component just fine. Almost all new 1080p TVs with HDMI accept 1080p as well. It was just some of the earlier 1080p TVs with HDMI that only supported 1080i.

Obviously most of the TVs that aren't 1080p native don't support 1080p inputs, but it wouldn't make much sense if they did.

Also, anyone notice this?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...mes/all/ref=pd_dp_ts_vg_1/102-2867024-3128914
It's been at the top or right near it for the past couple days. I didn't expect it to be very popular, to be honest.

Thanks for clearing that up. People always think butits not that it cannot do it its just that for movies use protection that can only be sent via hdmi.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So can someone clear up my confusion on this issue once and for all? I feel retarded after sifting through all of this stuff...

I have a 60" Samsung HDTV that accepts 1080p via component inputs (I just bought it)

-Can I watch DVD's upscaled to 1080p via 360's component cables?
-Can I watch HD-DVD's in native 1080p via 360's component cables?

Quick question, I'm playing my xbox360 on my dell 2407 fpw via VGA, with this HD-DVD player will I be able to enjoy movies at 1080p on my monitor?

Darkatom said:
Quick question, I'm playing my xbox360 on my dell 2407 fpw via VGA, with this HD-DVD player will I be able to enjoy movies at 1080p on my monitor?

That is correct.

JHay said:
So can someone clear up my confusion on this issue once and for all? I feel retarded after sifting through all of this stuff...

I have a 60" Samsung HDTV that accepts 1080p via component inputs (I just bought it)

-Can I watch DVD's upscaled to 1080p via 360's component cables?
-Can I watch HD-DVD's in native 1080p via 360's component cables?

-Can I watch DVD's upscaled to 1080p via 360's component cables? NO, only VGA cables
-Can I watch HD-DVD's in native 1080p via 360's component cables? Yes

ClearM4 said:
-Can I watch DVD's upscaled to 1080p via 360's component cables? NO, only VGA cables
-Can I watch HD-DVD's in native 1080p via 360's component cables? Yes

NO!

HD-DVDs via component are in 1080i on the 360. You need VGA for 1080p for movies.

Well of course VGA supports it. It's nothing but 1920*1080@60Hz. Unfortunately a lot of 1080p sets only take 1080p over digital inputs. How's this analog giong to handle HDCP etc.?

Kevin Lowe said:
NO!

HD-DVDs via component are in 1080i on the 360. You need VGA for 1080p for movies.

wrong. 1080p over component cable

texuspete00 said:
Well of course VGA supports it. It's nothing but 1920*1080@60Hz. Unfortunately a lot of 1080p sets only take 1080p over digital inputs. How's this analog giong to handle HDCP etc.?

While true a lot of sets only take 1080p over digital, there are tvs that can do 1080p over component too.

HDCP is something said to not worry about for many years to come. MS said not to worry about it and let them handle any problems that come up (most likely a firmware update mimicing the "key" as if it were over HDMI)

Netrat33 said:
wrong. 1080p over component cable

Wrong. The AACS standard does NOT allow 1080p over component. Its not a technical issue, it doesnt matter that the signal can go through, its a matter of the AACS standard not allowing it. You are only going to get 1080i out of component, end of story.

1080p is reserved for pure digital.

*Note that you can get 1080p for GAMES as there is no such restriction in the gaming world, but for MOVIES, note the above.

Tutelary said:
Wrong. The AACS standard does NOT allow 1080p over component. Its not a technical issue, it doesnt matter that the signal can go through, its a matter of the AACS standard not allowing it. You are only going to get 1080i out of component, end of story.

*Note that you can get 1080p for GAMES as there is no such restriction in the gaming world, but for MOVIES, note the above.

But you can also get 1080p over VGA.

Tutelary said:

My bad. read quickly and criss crossed info and didn't think :cool:

Netrat33 said:
My bad. read quickly and criss crossed info and didn't think :cool:

honestly most people are making too big a deal out of 1080p anyway. unless you have a big ass set, like 50+ inches, its nigh impossible (for me at least) to tell a diff in it and 720p. I myself intend to get a nice 32-40inch 720p set before long.

Tutelary said:
honestly most people are making too big a deal out of 1080p anyway. unless you have a big ass set, like 50+ inches, its nigh impossible (for me at least) to tell a diff in it and 720p. I myself intend to get a nice 32-40inch 720p set before long.

I agree with you on that one. A lot of people won't be able to tell the difference without something saying "This is currently in 1080p mode." HD looks good, even at 1080i or 720p.

morgrar said:
I agree with you on that one. A lot of people won't be able to tell the difference without something saying "This is currently in 1080p mode." HD looks good, even at 1080i or 720p.

True, for non-fixed pixel displays. But I suspect that 1080p will probably look a fair amount better on, say, a 37" 1080p screen than 720p will.

I have a 60" Samsung 1080p DLP released in June and purchased in August. According to you guys, since my tv is large, I would see a difference between 1080i vs 1080p. But I assume the tv would artificially convert 1080i > 1080p playing an HD-DVD movie using component cables. The questions is, I suppose, is whether the $50 xbox 360 vga cable is worth the difference in quality. I'm doubting it will, but that's what circuit city's return guarentee is for :p

so i havent read up on the hd-dvd player, but i already have an upconverting dvd player...does this upconvert regular dvds (like the 1080i upconverting dvd players) or just show non hd-dvd's at 480i?

guitarguy316 said:
so i havent read up on the hd-dvd player, but i already have an upconverting dvd player...does this upconvert regular dvds (like the 1080i upconverting dvd players) or just show non hd-dvd's at 480i?
It will up-convert regular DVDs with VGA cables only

It does really matter if you only get 1080i over over component. If your tv is a decent 1080p set it will properly deinterlace it anyway.

seems like a fair deal.

Although i wonder how much it will cost in Australia, given all the taxes and crap..

Back