Xbox 360 has ruined pc gaming forever

I have been playing pc games since the amiga,c-62, and console games since the 2600. I have to agree with the OP, the xbox360 and piracy are slowing killing pc gaming.

There used a distinct sensibilty between pc and console games. compare system shock 2 to bioshock, what a travesty, or fallout to fallout 3. I seriously doubt if a game like tron or x-com would be made in this enviromnent.

The whole demi-god fiasco also demonstrated the cancer that piracy has become on pc gaming.

The last 5 pc games i bought were all made pre-2000. I don't think pc games will ever be great again for the same reason our economy tanked. developers would rather risk everything on a big bloated console style game that make a small profit on a little pc game, the one exception being stardock.

Until some developer can find a way to make the pc a secure enviroment against piracy, there will be no chance of pc gaming having a resurgance because the economics are too weight heavily against it.

yea. why pump a ton of money and effort into an easily pirated format as the foundation for a game?

might as well focus on consoles and then just consider PC's as an ancilliary afterthought.

It feels like consoles have "ruined" PC gaming. PC gamers tend to like complexity in their games that just doesn't appeal to the average console gamer. People like immediate gratification; point at something, press a button, and watch it go boom. They see a switch, click on it, and know it's going to do something for them to let them progress.

Take the Baldur's Gate games. There was a lot of reading and interaction in the PC version. Your choices had an influence on the game world and proper planning and research of your character and his/her items had a large impact on their effectiveness. Then look at the "hack-n-slash" gameplay you got with the consoles "version".

We can even go farther back. I remember in one of the early "Leisure Suit Larry" games you could have sex with a hooker. If you didn't use a condom, at some point later in the game you just died from an STD. Do you think that would fly in a console game? Just look at the recent "Larry" releases.

I, for one, like a game that has immense amounts of story. That has interesting things to do other than pointing and clicking to make things dead. Games that take time to master. I like a game that challenges me to think outside the box to conquer. A game that that makes me feel like I'm inside the books I read. Where the planning and thinking and discovery is just as much a part of the experience as the mindless gore we all love.

That's what made the original Deus Ex so good. Of course you got to shoot people, but you weren't just plopped down with a gun and told to go shoot everything in sight and, once you did, you just won. You were expected to talk to people, to explore the world, to figure out the problem. Take that away, and you have the average console game where the who "point" of the game is to just mindlessly blow things up.

On the plus side, since it doesn't require a huge investment to port a game to PC, we'll still have things to play that the modding community can hopefully "fix" with a "gem" thrown in here and there.

You cant upgrade your console, nor can you mod your games. Modding is a huge part of the pc gaming industry and its only growing.

Actually there are plenty of consoles that are upgradeable such as the turbografx 16, Nintendo 64, Sega Genesis ect !

Strictly PC gamer starting with Doom 1 and Warcraft 1, roughly 13-15 years ago. Recently started shifting more towards console (xbox 360) because most of my friends are on that platform (also once strictly PC Gamers). Played in several local Quake/Quake2 Tournaments, and placed pretty high, so obviously the keyboard and mouse is preferred but for I have grown tolerant of the controller.

The second reason, outside of friends, is probably content. PC games that have came out the last few years, if released, are poorly ported. I always ask myself why should I spend additional funds on a PC to have it run worse compaired to the xbox? Gone are the >64 player servers for popular FPS because the console cannot support it. Gone is the support system. Most titles you get a 0 day patch, and that's it. That and having to wait several weeks or months for the PC version given the excuse that we are giving "PC extra features" turns out to be a POS that crashes and runs like crap.

So I would agree that games being dumbed down has detered me from PC titles as I would rather just play it on the console if I'm going to get a better experience (ie patches, support, and etc).

Also the major shift for my friends was due to the AGP to PCI-E transition. Pretty much had to dump your whole setup (PSU 20/24, CPU 754/939/AM2, Memory DDR1/DDR2, Video AGP/PCIE) to keep current as titles started being release with mandatory Pixel Shader versions and if you had an X800 you were SOL. Many could not justify the hobby (prices today are awesome but not at the time) so they moved to the console that allowed multiplayer games for the low entry price.

I still keep my PC for the few titles that are released, and mostly for RTS games, but on the flip side I don't upgrade my system as much as I used to as there is no motivation for the titles that are released for the PC. That and the limited free time I have with work and family I like to play with friends in Coop games. Many developers lack any motivation to include coop in newer titles, which it's nice to have the option when skill levels differ between friends. You can only enjoy 20-1 win so many times before you start loosing friends:)

Obviously everyone may have a different decision based on preference, friends, and value (note I did not say price).

Last edited:
Back