Xbox 360 Fan Problem

prodigee

Gawd
hey guys and gals my fans on my 360 wont spin. I turn on the system and i hear a little sound for about 1/2 a second and then i get the RRoD. Can someone tell me how to fix this or at least not get the RRoD

Simple. Assuming you haven't broken the warranty sticker, call MS and send it to them to fix.

If you've popped the warranty sticker already just replace the fans.

Yup, there are actually 3rd party Xbox 360 fans you can purchase from various websites. Some are also supposedly quieter and/or move more air then the stock 360 fans.

Yup, there are actually 3rd party Xbox 360 fans you can purchase from various websites. Some are also supposedly quieter and/or move more air then the stock 360 fans.

oh sweet can anyone recommend a site and possibly atemp fix to this issue

Maybe i am misunderstanding, but it sounds like your console is RRoD'ed. Are you saying it works but the fan is just broken? Replacing the fans on a RROD'ed console isn't going to make a difference.

Maybe i am misunderstanding, but it sounds like your console is RRoD'ed. Are you saying it works but the fan is just broken? Replacing the fans on a RROD'ed console isn't going to make a difference.

IIRC, the RROD error is caused by heat -- and fans not spinning causes heat. However, it could be more than just dead fans.

I've read that it gets hot and solder points break, or the gpu warps... not sure if its' true or not, but it's all supposedly caused by overheating.

It's totally possible that your fans stopped spinning so the machine is just shutting down and rroding because of it. Definitely worth the cost of replacing a fan as a troubleshooting step.

RRoD is a general hardware failure. Can mean any number of things (I don't know if there's a specific for the fans not spinning though).

I guess there could be a short or something, but i don't think the fan not working would immediately throw a rrod error. I know personally from having booted my xbox with the fan unplugged. The error for overheating is two red lights, and even then, it probably wouldn't happen immediately after turning it on. It basically just sound like the box is suffering from the same RROD everybody else gets.

iirc yeah - it's caused by heat in the first place, so pre-emptive measures can probably -prevent- a RROD. but once it's happened i've never really heard of a way to go back and un-break it.

If you're already getting a RROD your not going to fix it by replacing the fan. If your 360 overheats to the point of RROD within seconds of boot, it's already fubared. Even without a fan it shouldn't RR that quickly w/o a fan, even if it was working as intended.

Back