• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Xbox 360 Elite Official

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
The announcement has finally been made, the Xbox 360 Elite is official. For $479 you get HDMI, 120GB hard drive and a cool new black color. The 120GB hard drives will also be sold separately.

Microsoft's new Xbox 360 Elite, with a 120-gigabyte hard drive and High Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) port, will be available on April 29 in the United States and Canada for $479.99.
 
Haha. Eat it, Sony. Twice the hard drive capacity for $111 less.

No Blu-Ray, but who cares.
 
Ahhh! You confused me about the separately part. I didn't realize you meant the hard drives are also sold separately for the older Xboxes. That's pretty cool though. Good call, Microsoft. Let them upgrade. Kinda pricey though.

This thread > me. :eek:
 
Did you get yourself figured out yet or do you need a few more goes at it?
 
I'm happy with my plain old 360. Don't download movies and tv so I'm fine. I just play games on it.

BTW, why would you want to watch movies/tv on a game console anyways? Kinda pointless with cable tv and a dvd player.
 
Is it quieter? My only complaint about the 360 is that it is damn loud at times. Sony did get that part right on the PS3.
 
BTW, why would you want to watch movies/tv on a game console anyways? Kinda pointless with cable tv and a dvd player.

Because it's an on-demand service, and you can get HD movies and TV shows in HD that simply aren't avaialble anywhere else (including their original broadcasts).

Where I've found the video download service to be invaluable was after a power outage when my wife and I missed one of our favorite shows, we were able to download it from Xbox Live Video Marketplace the following day. Now I know there are other options for things like that, but none that are already connected to my HDTV and Home Theater system.

That's the real beauty of the service, the fact that the console is already connected to the best TV and sound system in your house, so watching the shows and movies isn't any different of an experience than you are already used to, i.e. no more sitting in front of your PC to watch something that you downloaded from one of the network sites or iTunes. You sit on your couch just like watching "real" TV.
 
BTW, why would you want to watch movies/tv on a game console anyways? Kinda pointless with cable tv and a dvd player.

Because it's better than your cable tv and dvd player, in a lot of ways. Cable's TV on demand is buggy sometimes even low quality and obviously it's monthly subscribtion is expensive. DVD players aren't HD and you either have to go out and rent or wait days for it to come in the mail.

120gb hard drive really isn't needed. I can watch all my movies and TV shows on less than 20gb because you can redownload tv shows for free on the Xbox Marketplace. But I guess it would get annoying if you own a lot of tv shows, so the 120gb will come in handy.

Is it quieter? My only complaint about the 360 is that it is damn loud at times. Sony did get that part right on the PS3.

PS3 is just as loud and sometimes louder than the 360.
 
This would have made a lot more sense if it was slotted at the current $399 price point, and the existing consoles were dropped down by $50 or $100.

And $179 for the separate 120GB drive? Are they out of their minds? You can get 120GB drives for $40 these days. You can get a 500GB drive for what they are asking $179 for.

And people say Apple is bad!
 
And $179 for the separate 120GB drive? Are they out of their minds? You can get 120GB drives for $40 these days. You can get a 500GB drive for what they are asking $179 for.

And people say Apple is bad!

I don't know where you are shopping, but I can't find any 120GB drives for $40. Yes they are getting cheap, but not that cheap, and what you are describing is clearly a 5.25in full size drive. The Xbox360 uses 2.5in Laptop sized drives. Those tend to be much more expensive due to their smaller form factor.
 
I don't know where you are shopping, but I can't find any 120GB drives for $40. Yes they are getting cheap, but not that cheap, and what you are describing is clearly a 5.25in full size drive. The Xbox360 uses 2.5in Laptop sized drives. Those tend to be much more expensive due to their smaller form factor.

regardless, they're charging a $100 premium on that hard drive. Not a big shock, considering what they charged for the 20gb model.
 
Haha. Eat it, Sony. Twice the hard drive capacity for $111 less.

No Blu-Ray, but who cares.
I and the many who desire movies @ 1080 do, BD is the shit. who gives two shits about a hdd as an initial selling feature. to a perspective new console buyer the xbox pioneers last years crap. their loss
 
I think a lot of people also forget that the HDMI cable is included in the Elite package, a separate cable (as you are required to buy with the PS3) can easily set you back >$40.
 
G'ßöö;1030831010 said:
I and the many who desire movies @ 1080 do, BD is the shit. who gives two shits about a hdd as an initial selling feature. to a perspective new console buyer the xbox pioneers last years crap. their loss

The many, but the few who bought a PS3. ;)

I didn't say or mean to imply that the twice-as-big hard drive was the selling point. Just saying that it's twice the capacity of Sony's $600 version for only $479.

Microsoft's loss? Pretty sure Sony is at the bottom of the units sold list.
 
Haha. Eat it, Sony. Twice the hard drive capacity for $111 less.

No Blu-Ray, but who cares.
I would say you get 6 times the capacity for $20 more, not a bad deal. Also, those previous 360 owners are stuck buying the HDD upgrade which will cost them more than a typical 2.5" drive off newegg. While PS3 owners could sell off their HDDs and buy new ones or use an external SATA 3.5" drive and get hundreds of gigs for cheap, which some have done.
I think a lot of people also forget that the HDMI cable is included in the Elite package, a separate cable (as you are required to buy with the PS3) can easily set you back >$40.
Only if you are a retard and buy the cable in store and if you do then you deserve to pay that much. Sure it's nice they are included, but a quality HDMI cable shouldn't set you back more than $10.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&style=

It's great move for MS, we'll have to see if the rumored PS3 price drops occur at the end of the year.
 
Is it quieter? My only complaint about the 360 is that it is damn loud at times. Sony did get that part right on the PS3.

There was an artical here a month or so ago, about the 360's getting a new optical drive. Which is supposed to make them quiter. I think they said console made after 11/06 have a good chance of getting the new drive. Reports state that these will be quieter as well, so I assume the new drive will be in there. I thought it was Ben-Q or Lite-on, cant remember.
 
Lots of misinformation here.

This would have made a lot more sense if it was slotted at the current $399 price point, and the existing consoles were dropped down by $50 or $100.

And $179 for the separate 120GB drive? Are they out of their minds? You can get 120GB drives for $40 these days. You can get a 500GB drive for what they are asking $179 for.

And people say Apple is bad!

You are aware that these are laptop 2.5" drives right? GL trying to get a 500gb drive for this for $179, lol.


regardless, they're charging a $100 premium on that hard drive. Not a big shock, considering what they charged for the 20gb model.

You are aware that the premuim is a $100 on the elite vs purchasing a drive retail, however, keep in mind that purchasing a drive off newegg you still need the caddy, also you have to go through the hassle of making it work. I don't know about you, but after the cost of the caddy and the drive price, it's starting to make a ben franklin shrink drastically.

Also, keep in mind, you are getting a black version (I pay more for black imo) AND you are getting HDMI, which is priceless to people like me. I would pay $200 more to have HDMI vs regular AV inputs.

I think a lot of people also forget that the HDMI cable is included in the Elite package, a separate cable (as you are required to buy with the PS3) can easily set you back >$40.

An HDMI cable can be had for as little as $3 and can be as much as $300 per cable. The fact is that it's not very expensive and doesn't make a diffrence (digital). So if you look at buy.com, you can snatch one up for very cheaply (under 10 shipped). No where near your >$40 a cable. I personally prefer better cables for various reasons so mine set me back over $120 a cable... but in the end it's all the same.

But yes, it's worth noting that the cable is included as it saves the consumer money and time and gets them gaming faster.
 
Only if you are a retard and buy the cable in store and if you do then you deserve to pay that much. Sure it's nice they are included, but a quality HDMI cable shouldn't set you back more than $10.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&style=

Not sure if everyone who buys a $40 cable is a retard but sometimes people just don't want to wait to order online. Most merchant in town will hike up the price for cables because of the margin they make on it. For example 7ft CAT5 cables for $14 --- Outrageous. Or I love the 7ft USB cable for a wooping $20 because it's gold plated.
 
PS3 is just as loud and sometimes louder than the 360.

Then I would suggest you return your PS3. The one I own makes absolutely no sound, as opposed to my 360 that sounds like a jet plane by comparison when the disk drive is active.
 
Not sure if everyone who buys a $40 cable is a retard but sometimes people just don't want to wait to order online. Most merchant in town will hike up the price for cables because of the margin they make on it. For example 7ft CAT5 cables for $14 --- Outrageous. Or I love the 7ft USB cable for a wooping $20 because it's gold plated.

If you do not wish to wait a couple days or even 24 hours and want to shop at the first place that you stop at, then that is your very own problem. And this should never be factored into the equation of the TCO.

I would say a person who is so quick acted or rather impulsive to spend multiple times the amount just to have it now for nothing other than personal use, would be a retard ;)
 
G'ßöö;1030831010 said:
the xbox pioneers last years crap.

G'ßöö;1030831212 said:
the ps3 pioneers, period

The former doesn't make sense but I knew what you meant. You won't see Microsoft having to give away huge TVs, will you? I'm not a Microsoft fanatic, and I'm not saying Blu-Ray is stupid or useless. It's about the only reason to buy one though. PS3s cost too much for what they are.

Anyway, that's not the topic at hand. Coming out with the Elite seems to suggest that Microsoft has been listening to consumers, which is refreshing.
 
So wait, is this the only version that is going to support IPTV or can all versions of the Xbox support it? I have the premium and been looking foward to IPTV since its been announced and if the Elite can only support it, then that sucks. Still a great system, but man I was looking foward to IPTV support.
 
Tech Larry made a mistake, but you can get a 160GB 2.5" drive for $109 versus the MS 120GB at $179.

Lazy,
The premium should support IPTV as well, but you'll have to juggle things around depending on how many things you have stored on your drive.
 
The former doesn't make sense but I knew what you meant. You won't see Microsoft having to give away huge TVs, will you? I'm not a Microsoft fanatic, and I'm not saying Blu-Ray is stupid or useless. It's about the only reason to buy one though. PS3s cost too much for what they are.

Anyway, that's not the topic at hand. Coming out with the Elite seems to suggest that Microsoft has been listening to consumers, which is refreshing.
PS3 costs too much for what they are....yeah I can agree, but there are several thing that I feel cost more than their worth and yet plenty go out and buy said items. If you want to be an early adpoter of BR, than the PS3 is great way to go and a bargain. If you want to strictly play games than the PS3 isn't the best way to go. If you want both, then it's something to consider. Or if you can wait patiently you can snag one in a couple years for much less.

The tech sector has always had these crazy high prices for the early adopters, look at graphics cards. I'm not spending $600 for a card, I'll wait and pick up a GFeleventybillion a year or two down the road at $300. Same thing with HD displays most consumers could've cared less a few years ago HD TV, but I saw the value of an HD display. Now you can get one free with a PS3;) -joke.

All depends on the individual's wants and needs.
 
Jeez, so now I have to spend 480 to get HDMI, why couldn't they put the damn HD-DVD drive and charge 600, then I would have definitely bought one. Oh well, I'll probably just buy one because it's black and will go with everything else except for my WII. Hopefully you can actually put this version in an AV cabinet without having to worry about it overheating. Have they announced what HDMI version it's going to be shipping with?
 
That would be for a bare drive, add the price for the custom drive enclosure and it doesn't look as bad.
lol, I don't see the ecslosure as value added.
I don't want this to be a PS3 vs 360 thread, but there have already been some commnets mades so....on the PS3 you don't need a custom enclosure.

and for the 360 once you have one enclosure you shouldn't need another one, i.e. those with 20GB 360 HDD. MS should make the drive user replaceable, that is my point.

Most PC enclosures sell for 20-50 so that still doesn't add up to $179 for 120GB.
 
Jeez, so now I have to spend 480 to get HDMI, why couldn't they put the damn HD-DVD drive and charge 600, then I would have definitely bought one. Oh well, I'll probably just buy one because it's black and will go with everything else except for my WII. Hopefully you can actually put this version in an AV cabinet without having to worry about it overheating. Have they announced what HDMI version it's going to be shipping with?
Haven't seen it, but I'm guessing 1.3 so it can support advanced codecs on HD DVD movies.
 
Now all they need to do is get rid of the core and lower the price of both the this and the one with the 20 gig drive.
 
Now all they need to do is get rid of the core and lower the price of both the this and the one with the 20 gig drive.

No price cuts are going to take place when your main competitor is $499 & $599. There is absolutely no incentive for Microsoft to lower the price on their existing products...matter o' fact, you get the opposite...you get the Elite.

I am one of the people that is going to plop down the cash for a 120GB hard drive for my main 360 because I use it for HD TV shows and movies all the time. The 20GB drive is just fine for my other 360s.
 
No price cuts are going to take place when your main competitor is $499 & $599. There is absolutely no incentive for Microsoft to lower the price on their existing products...matter o' fact, you get the opposite...you get the Elite.

I am one of the people that is going to plop down the cash for a 120GB hard drive for my main 360 because I use it for HD TV shows and movies all the time. The 20GB drive is just fine for my other 360s.

One can dream can't they?

Yea I'll be buying the new hard drive as well. Need the extra room.

I seem to remember live having a setting to auto download new demos in the background. With the bigger drive this just screams as a way to fill it up.
 
G'ßöö;1030835845 said:
horseshit. you can't get a BD for less.

Wow. You're quite the Blu-Ray fanatic.

Let me rephrase. Subjectively, PS3s cost too much for what they are.
 
I know I'm finally gonna bite on this and get a 'console' again only to have it bite me in the ass with revision 1 horrors. I never learn :(
 
Back
Top