Xbox 360 controllers w/ good D-Pad?

Domingo

Fully [H]
Hi all, anyone know of any 360 controllers with a good d-pad? The default one is awful. I find myself jumping backwards any time I try to block. Admittedly the 360 controller has an awesome layout for the analog, but the d-pad positioning is horrendous. Anyone know of a pad (no...I don't want an arcade stick) that's better? With Street Fighter due in the next month, I REALLY don't want to lose just because my controller can't cut it.

odd... i find the d-pad to be pretty good actually... there are 3rd party controllers.. dont know how good they work, held one the other day at Fry's, it was a tad bit smaller and the shoulder buttons were at a different angle.

I do not know of any 3rd party controllers atm, and it'll probably be awhile before some hit the market. Personally the 360 controller is the best I've used in over 22 years of gaming.

I know you said you don't want an arcade stick but I definitely think it would give you an edge in Street Fighter (if you're that serious about winning).
The Dead or Alive stick looks really solid and it got a good review at IGN.
Hadoken! :)

I'm pretty serious, but I actually like to play with a pad at home. I've tried sticks and I end up jerking them all over the place and can't keep 'em steady. The arcade's 200lb. stand-up unit is one thing, but a 2lb. joystick just doesn't do it.
In terms of pads, I can do a tic with a 720 degree super-throw so I'm not really concerned with any disadvantages. I've played and won tournaments with a pad and in the arcade and I'm equally good with both. Considering the number of fighting game players that are using pads now (even in competition), I don't really think the stick is an advantage...it's just what you're used to. Unlike for example playing shooters with a pad leaving you at a major disadvanage.
Personally, I'm looking for something akin to the PS2 d-pad, with only 4-directional options and no diagonals. The 8-way circular pads seem to throw me off unless they're lined up just so...which the 360's pad isn't. Of note, sideways joysticks (like some Tekken machines) screw me up a lot, too. For some reason I just can't find the sweet spots!

I'm hoping that perhaps someone might make a controller that's set-up with the d-pad getting the main focus and the analog stick be aligned out of the way.

I *love* the 360 pad for 99% of games, but I think the d-pad is misaligned for my needs. Admittedly blocking in DOA is rather sketchy at best, but for me it's virtually impossible.

I am going to have to disagree, I find the 360 d-pad and controller to be very good. Not sure I would trust 3rd party controllers just yet for this system.

Back