XBox 360 Controller Suddenly Causes BSOD When Connected :(

Astralogic

Gawd
Could someone help me troubleshoot this problem, I can't play any games that require a controller :(

My XBox 360 controller used to work fine, I don't know what made it start to suddenly go BSOD on me when I plug it in.

Does anyone know what might be the problem and how to fix it?

Thanks

Well lets narrow it down.

Have you plugged the controller into a different USB port? Have you tried to plug anything else into USB? If not, can you try different ports and use different things in ports to see if the problem is persistent.

Well, my computer has just two working usb ports.

This BSOD only occurs with my xbox controller, no other usb devices cause this.

On someone elses advice, I uninstalled all usb controllers from device manager and rebooted. This has stopped the BSOD, but the controller is not recognized by any game.

The controller does make the usb connected sound upon plugging it in.

Any ideas?

Thanks

What OS are you running? The 360 controller drivers are built into Vista and above, but need to be manually installed on XP.

Yeah just re-install the driver. There should be one listed for you to choose.

I tried reinstalling MS XBOX Accessories. That's what includes the driver I think, but it didn't work.

As I said, the drivers are built into Vista and above, there should be no need to reinstall them.

After uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them the controller now works perfectly.

Thanks

Back