piscian18
[H]F Junkie
- Joined
- Jul 26, 2005
- Messages
- 11,020
So I know this is probably the wrong forum but I was hoping you guys might have dabbled and had some opinions for me. I'll try and post some pics later tonight.
I pulled an old xbox360 Falcon out of the closet recently to mess around with. My main purpose is to fix the heating issues if I can and my second purpose is to bolt an external 3.5" harddrive case to the outside of the tower. I know I could buy a new xbox for 149 (Are they cool now?), but I'm just kinda having fun with this. I want to keep my costs under $60 and make this not horrible to look at but I had some questions.
My first step was obviously to tear it apart (Fun!) and then I replaced the thermal paste with arctic silver 5 and so far my heat is steady underload in the mid 60s CPU and mid 70s GPU. I think I can do better.
One of the problems with the xbox360 that I have is both the CPU and GPU's are cooled by stand alone heatsinks. The GPU is covered by the DVD-Drive so I'm not sure what to do about that yet. the CPU heatsink sits right up against the case so I'm thinking about mounting a 120mm fan to the side of the case but that means I need a grill. The back fans 30mm? are being horribly held back by the case grill which is ugly as sin anyway. I'm gonna cut that out and put grills on, but I don't know where to get those cheap.
Has anyone else taken an xbox360 apart? what were your impressions?
I pulled an old xbox360 Falcon out of the closet recently to mess around with. My main purpose is to fix the heating issues if I can and my second purpose is to bolt an external 3.5" harddrive case to the outside of the tower. I know I could buy a new xbox for 149 (Are they cool now?), but I'm just kinda having fun with this. I want to keep my costs under $60 and make this not horrible to look at but I had some questions.
My first step was obviously to tear it apart (Fun!) and then I replaced the thermal paste with arctic silver 5 and so far my heat is steady underload in the mid 60s CPU and mid 70s GPU. I think I can do better.
One of the problems with the xbox360 that I have is both the CPU and GPU's are cooled by stand alone heatsinks. The GPU is covered by the DVD-Drive so I'm not sure what to do about that yet. the CPU heatsink sits right up against the case so I'm thinking about mounting a 120mm fan to the side of the case but that means I need a grill. The back fans 30mm? are being horribly held back by the case grill which is ugly as sin anyway. I'm gonna cut that out and put grills on, but I don't know where to get those cheap.
Has anyone else taken an xbox360 apart? what were your impressions?