xbox 360 artifacts during gameplay

munkle

[H]F Junkie
aparrently one 360 has had some artifacting problems, can be seen HERE possibly a fan died or heatsink was not put on correct, or maybe the xbox 360 doesnt have adequate cooling, or just a defective xbox?

edit: it was said that the artifacts were not present during video playback, but were there while in the menu, thats a little strange to me, because if it was a heat problem wouldnt it be there all the time?

edit: heres the link http://www.planetxbox360.com/?view=article&article=432

Probably just another isolated incident, affecting a small percentage of them, such that as the other disc-reading problem discussed in the kiosk thread. Video playback does not require rendering, however. At least not in the same sense that 3d-rendered menus or gameplay would.

steviep said:
Probably just another isolated incident, affecting a small percentage of them, such that as the other disc-reading problem discussed in the kiosk thread. Video playback does not require rendering, however. At least not in the same sense that 3d-rendered menus or gameplay would.

I hope it's isolated. Microsoft is going to have a real problem on their hands if it isn't. Can you say mass RMAs?

Storm1000000
http://www.openxbox360.com

Probably overheated, cant be too much ventilation in a sealed glass case.

Meh...I'm not too shocked at this one. The system has some serious hardware in it...it's obvious that it's going to need a lot of ventilation to keep temperatures cool.

The chance that this is hardware specific is low, but possible. That's why many of us are going to hold back on the launch and see if any problems come up with the way the system is manufactured (Common problem at system launches, except for the Gamecube...never had a problem with that one).

Naldo said:
Probably overheated, cant be too much ventilation in a sealed glass case.
lol where i put my xbox isnt much better, only fresh air comes through the front and not much at that, the hot air goes out the back and gets pushed to the front of the console and gets sucked back in :p

I've never seen any other console overheat, even after leaving it on for days, in a closed glass HT case. If this thing can overheat itself in a glass display case, be prepared for mass RMAs, that probably won't get honoured.

steviep said:
I've never seen any other console overheat, even after leaving it on for days, in a closed glass HT case. If this thing can overheat itself in a glass display case, be prepared for mass RMAs, that probably won't get honoured.

...doom and gloom again? First it was the AA, which was proven to be a non-issue. Now this.

Microsoft can't legally sell a physical product that doesn't work and get away with not replacing it. Ever heard of a class-action lawsuit? Hell, Apple is getting sued for a product that works but scratches easily (The Nano).

I've never seen a console that had artifacts from overheating. I have seen consoles that locked up just from normal use, though (PS, PS2, and even the Xbox). I believe the PSone had heat issues as well.

I'm not knocking on it, DS. I'm not trying to flame. I'm just saying that if the console has heat issues, Microsoft will have issues as well. I'm sure you can agree with me on that. However, as I said earlier in this very thread - the odds of this being on a large scale are incredibly tiny (probably less than 1%)... just like the disc-reading issue, and about the AA - we'll have to see.

I have seen artifacts in games on Xbox and PS2....none on Gamecube, though. The fact is it's not that every Xbox360 is doing this...it's not like they're all just dying or something. :rolleyes: The 360's at the Wal Marts around my area are on all day and nothing is happening to them.

im sure theyve gone through extensive research and testing and that this is isolated to very few.

pr0pensity said:
I wonder if this is at all related to the recall.
please do elaborate on this recall :confused: i havent heard anything about it?

munkle said:
please do elaborate on this recall :confused: i havent heard anything about it?

I remember hearing something about the wireless equipment in the older stores being affected by the 360 somehow, but I dont know if they issued a full blown recall for that.

Naldo said:
I remember hearing something about the wireless equipment in the older stores being affected by the 360 somehow, but I dont know if they issued a full blown recall for that.
no thats walmarts fault, there wireless SMART system isnt FCC aproved so basically its not certified that other devices can or cant cause interference, and 360 does in some stores

Back