• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Xbox 360 120GB HD

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
There are a handful of retailers that seem to be selling the 120GB hard drive upgrade for the Xbox 360 already. [H] reader Kyle Dobbins found this one at his local Wal-Mart and sent us pictures of the kit. Looks fairly painless, just attach the new drive via the included cable, drop the disc in the tray and there you have it. All you Core 360 owners can expect a flood of cheap 20GB hard drives on eBay soon. :)
 
Hmm, people would be able to use this kit and share it with their own store bought hard drives... easy upgrades.
 
I think he got the drive early. I went to walmarts site to see if its there, and I can't find it at all. The only one that I can find is the 20gb
 
hmm, I was tempted to buy the 120GB HD but I really don't need one. I have like 9gb left on my HD, I don't download shows, and I typically delete demos after playing through them and movies expire anyways. Maybe when I get some extra money that I can spare I'll just buy one for the heck of it. They are on sale at EB games too.
 
Hm... I've always thought that they would actually allow you to replace the 20GB instead of having a USB HDD. Or is this just the transfer part of it? Afterward you can replace it?
 
Hm... I've always thought that they would actually allow you to replace the 20GB instead of having a USB HDD. Or is this just the transfer part of it? Afterward you can replace it?

Yes. if you look at the second pic, its the hard drive upside down
 
Hm... I've always thought that they would actually allow you to replace the 20GB instead of having a USB HDD. Or is this just the transfer part of it? Afterward you can replace it?

that would appear to be the idea, since the new drive looks like it is the same formfactor as the old one........... looks like the cable is only for transfer purposes since you're not even supposed to connect it with other USB devices present..............use cable to "image" original drive, remove original drive, and replace with new one......
 
Awesome...now why Microsoft didn't include that simple cable & transfer disc with the Xbox 360 Elite is mind boggling.
 
Hey isn't it cool to buy MS 120 GB HDD for only 169$ when owners of that overpriced crap PS3 can get 500 GB ones for less :D
 
I just got an idea.

What if you got that kit, used a 2.5" to 3.5" drive adaptor and used a 1tb desktop drive?
 
I agree, couldnt you somehow plug that cable into something more heavy-weight, say a 500GB desktop and then do the transfer????

120 seems kinda whimpy these days.

Anyway is the conscensis that you transfer the data from the 20>>>120 and then put the 120 drive on top of the 360 after removing the 20GB HDD????
 
I agree, couldnt you somehow plug that cable into something more heavy-weight, say a 500GB desktop and then do the transfer????

120 seems kinda whimpy these days.

Anyway is the conscensis that you transfer the data from the 20>>>120 and then put the 120 drive on top of the 360 after removing the 20GB HDD????

Yes that is what you do.
 
I just got an idea.

What if you got that kit, used a 2.5" to 3.5" drive adaptor and used a 1tb desktop drive?

it looks like its powering the drive from the USB port, which for a laptop drive is ok, a desktop drive would blow up the usb port :)

if you powered it externally and just got a similar chipset USB>IDE adapter it should in theory work i guess
 
it looks like its powering the drive from the USB port, which for a laptop drive is ok, a desktop drive would blow up the usb port :)

if you powered it externally and just got a similar chipset USB>IDE adapter it should in theory work i guess

Yeah, i meant external psu for the drive, or perhaps wire it to the board of the machine.
 
Yeah, i meant external psu for the drive, or perhaps wire it to the board of the machine.

I dont actually own an xbox (or any console actually) so i can only comment about what i can observe from those pictures... ;)

but ya, whats the hard drive good for anyway? i mean saved games arnt THAT big are they?
 
I dont actually own an xbox (or any console actually) so i can only comment about what i can observe from those pictures... ;)

but ya, whats the hard drive good for anyway? i mean saved games arnt THAT big are they?

Xbox movies and games.
 
not just movies but HD movies which can be pretty damn big and eat up your space in no time
 
Back
Top