XB1 vs PS4 netcode?

4RunnerTE

Limp Gawd
Can anybody that has extensively played online with both consoles over the past year or so comment on the general smoothness of online play between the two?

I'm looking at picking up a console mainly for Madden 16 and looking to play online more than I would offline. Right now I'm slightly leaning towards the PS4 just because some of the upcoming exclusives are a bit more interesting to me, but anytime I've ever owned a console it has mainly been for sports games as I use my PC for more of the "premiere" titles anyways.

Basically whichever console would provide smoother online play is the one I would opt for, regardless of exclusives or minor graphics quality differences.

Thanks.

PSN has historically had more issues than XBL, but I think both services are pretty equal in terms of matchmaking and connection quality these days. The issues I've run into on both systems had to do with the games rather than the services themselves. The Master Chief Collection has had its problems well-documented, and Destiny (which I play on PS4) has been the frequent target of DDoS attacks.

I say pick whichever one most of the people you know have. The amount of friends is usually the tipping point of these decisions. And since you mentioned Madden, EA Access is available only on Xbox ONE right now and for the foreseeable future.
http://www.ea.com/eaaccess

I haven't had any issues on PS4 myself.

I will say the share feature puts PS4 just over the edge for me. I’m not big on sports games but if a friend wants to play together he can “share” his. Meaning he can send an invite and I can play against him online for free. Only cost is PS+.

It last for an hour then he has to send another invite which only takes a moment. So don’t think you can abuse this system getting all the free games you want. ;)

In most cases, the net code is written by the game developer so if it's cross platform there is probably no difference. If I were you I'd just buy whatever my friends have.

Yeah they are both pretty solid really. As long as your internet connection seems to do fine with PC games then you should be fine.

XBL used to run circles around PSN, but for the past 2-3 years I'd say they've become fairly close to each other. XBL still seems to have more consistent (and faster) download speeds for me though.

Cant speak on psn because i have never used it. But LIVE offers the convenience of easily finding friends, connecting to chat through parties and play with them.

Back